Me-- Jane by Patrick McDonnell

Me-- Jane (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Patrick McDonnell

Member:christiq
Title:Me-- Jane
Authors:Patrick McDonnell
Info:New York : Little, Brown, 2011.
Tags:adventure, childhood, toys

Me . . . Jane by Patrick McDonnell (2011)

This book tells the story of Dr. Jane Goodall. It starts with her as a child with a toy chimpanzee who loves spending time outside. Eventually, she follows her dream of working with animals.
  LeahAlvey | Jul 27, 2016 |
Summary
The book is about a girl name Jane Goodall who really likes animals. She would always go out just to watch animals all day. She really likes the story of Tarzan and imagines herself in that life. She wants do watch animals and study them as a career.

Reaction
I could relate to this story because growing up, I often thought about becoming something that involved animals. She is a motivating figure that inspire me to never give up on my dreams and I should do what I love.

Extension
After reading this book, children should be asked what they want to be when they grow up. They should consider something they love to do. This book should motivate them to never give up on their dreams. ( )
  chywatt | Jul 25, 2016 |
This absolutely delightful simple biography recounts Jane Goodall’s early childhood fascination with animals, beginning with the stuffed animal chimpanzee, Jubilee.It tells of her obsession for caring for animals and her decision early on to go to Africa to work with wild animals. Included are actual drawings and self-created games that Goodall drew as a small child, including the ‘Aligator Society’. McDonnell the creator of the comic strip Mutts, uses a simple and wonderful comics style to illustrate this book, to charming effect. The book ends with little Jane falling asleep and awaking as her adult self...in Africa.
1 vote Brad.Coulter | Jul 20, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading this biography on Jane Goodall who is a humanitarian and animal activist. I loved this story because of the minimal words on the page but also having detailed pictures to help guide the reader and the heartwarming and inspirational story. Most of the words and sentences are descriptive and identifying what Jane sees around her in the nature. She mentions the different animals and plants that she read about in books. The illustrations are in cartoon form but accurately go along with the word is on the page. The story tells the journey of Jane exploring the world. This is inspirational to the readers to reflect on their environment and nature. The big idea is for the reader to understand that little things make a huge difference.
  amyadams19 | May 3, 2016 |
This is a wonderful story that shows how curiosity, imagination, wonder and study can lead to a truly adventurous life, one that makes a difference in the world. The narrative and illustrations blend together perfectly, and make this a book that can work with children of all ages. I loved the additional biographical information at the end of the book as well as the note from Jane Goodall herself. Overall, we thought this was a terrific story and we really enjoyed reading it together.
  Williewarren | Apr 15, 2016 |

Wonderfully illustrated, Caldecott Honor, this is a biography of Jane Goodall's childhood.  It describes how Jane's life connection to nature and dedication to learning inspired and lead to her life long dream of living in Africa and working with chimpanzees.  I agree with one of the reviewers and would want to include a story or worksheet that detailed Jane's accomplishments.

In his characteristic heartwarming style, Patrick McDonnell tells the story of the young Jane Goodall and her special childhood toy chimpanzee named Jubilee. As the young Jane observes the natural world around her with wonder, she dreams of "a life living with and helping all animals," until one day she finds that her dream has come true.

One of the world's most inspiring women, Dr. Jane Goodall is a renowned humanitarian, conservationist, animal activist, environmentalist, and United Nations Messenger of Peace. In 1977 she founded the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI), a global nonprofit organization that empowers people to make a difference for all living things.

With anecdotes taken directly from Jane Goodall's autobiography, McDonnell makes this very true story accessible for the very young--and young at heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:29 -0400)

Holding her stuffed toy chimpanzee, young Jane Goodall observes nature, reads Tarzan books, and dreams of living in Africa and helping animals. Includes biographical information on the prominent zoologist.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,329,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible