Second Nature: A Gardener's Education by…

Second Nature: A Gardener's Education (1991)

by Michael Pollan

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver (mao21234)
    mao21234: Organized also by season, full of insights into how to grow things. Both are good for novice gardeners.

English (21)  German (1)  All languages (22)
Pollan describes well the struggle of gardners to work with nature to achieve a pleasing landscape-one that is productive and aesthetic. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
This must be one of Pollan's early books, at just the start of his fascination with food writing. His personal history of gardening wasn't particularly engrossing, but his later chapters make up for it.
For example, chapter 3 is all about lawns; their history, sociology, philosophy and so on. Quite fascinating. There are lots of good quotes to be mined.
  2wonderY | Dec 30, 2015 |
My favorite Pollan book has always been Botany of Desire. And this book is now a close second. I can see how this garden book led to Botany of Desire. The part that human as gardener plays in the evolution and life cycle of earth. Thinking of the metaphor of "garden" versus the influence of the notion of "wilderness" in imagining those relations and interactions. Just a wonderful book. ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
In this book, Pollan attempts to find the happy medium between nature and culture in raising a garden. I identified so much with his struggles right from the start when he expressed his resistance to building a fence to keep a woodchuck out of his garden. Fences just don't seem part of the natural landscape, but really gardens aren't either. I also enjoyed reading his thoughts on the American lawn, and how much time and money people spend on them and why no one puts their vegetable gardens in their front yards. I could go on and on about all the things this book made me think about, but I'm having trouble putting it into words. In this book Pollan writes a lot about the proper role of humans in the natural world. How much we should attempt to control it, when we should let nature run it's course. As Pollan's musings tend to go, there is no simple answer, just a lot of general ideas.

I don't know if I would have enjoyed this book as much if I wasn't attempting to grow my own garden for the first time as well, and I'll admit that part of the reason I liked it was probably because I agreed with most of Pollan's ideas and I got to feel a little self-righteous along with Pollan about my theories of nature. Otherwise, I think the tone may have been a little annoying.

I thought the book was well written, but sometimes a little too flowery for my tastes. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
I have liked the authors other books but this one was just too boring for me. If you like gardening, lawns, weeds, fertilizer, mulch, mowing, etcetera, maybe this is the book for you. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
For Judith
This book is the story of my education in the garden.

In his articles and in best-selling books such as The Botany of Desire, Michael Pollan has established himself as one of our most important and beloved writers on modern man’s place in the natural world. A new literary classic, Second Nature has become a manifesto not just for gardeners but for environmentalists everywhere. “As delicious a meditation on one man’s relationships with the Earth as any you are likely to come upon” (The New York Times Book Review), Second Nature captures the rhythms of our everyday engagement with the outdoors in all its glory and exasperation. With chapters ranging from a reconsideration of the Great American Lawn, a dispatch from one man’s war with a woodchuck, to an essay about the sexual politics of roses, Pollan has created a passionate and eloquent argument for reconceiving our relationship with nature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:53 -0400)

One day, Harper's Magazine editor Michael Pollan bought an old Connecticut dairy farm. He planted a garden and attempted to follow Thoreau's example: do not impose your will upon the wilderness, the woodchucks, or the weeds. That ethic, of course, did not work. But neither did pesticides or firebombing the woodchuck burrow. So Pollan began to think about the troubled borders between nature and contemporary life. The result is a funny, profound, and beautifully written book which has become a classic of American nature writing. It inspires thoughts on the war of the roses; sex and class conflict in the garden; virtuous composting; the American lawn; seed catalogs, and the politics of planting a tree. A blend of meditation, autobiography, and social history, Second Nature is ultimately a modern Walden.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,113,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible