Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, Book 4)…

Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, Book 4) (original 1984; edition 1985)

by David Eddings

Member:herebedragons
Title:Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, Book 4)
Authors:David Eddings
Info:Del Rey (1985), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, read, fantasy, 1990s, permanent collection

Castle of Wizardry by David Eddings (1984)

English (31)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (38)
La storia procede, i personaggi crescono e sono sempre credibili. Ottima prosecuzione della saga. ( )
  cecca | Jul 28, 2014 |
This is the penultimate book in the Belgariad and pretty much from what I can remember Garion ascends the throne and the scene is being set for the massive battle between the good and the evil nations. When I read this as a teenager, as I have previously mentioned, the books seemed to be a travelogue exploring Edding's world, and it wasn't exactly a world that I really considered to be very realistic.
My suspicions were confirmed in this book when Garion takes his position as the High King after recovering the orb, and then going for a little adventure to the north of the island where the High King ruled. Personally I cannot remember the reason behind this little quest or the purpose behind it, but rather that it happened and it was something that I expected to happen.
Once again Eddings tries to add some humour into the book, my memory being when C'nedra fashions a suit of armour making her breasts look a lot bigger than they really are. This, to me, is vanity and woman worrying about the size of her breasts is pretty much as shallow as a guy worrying about the size of his member and whether it will please a woman. As I said it is all vanity and in the end only adds to the shallowness of the character. It is not necessarily Edding's poor writing skills in this aspect because there are a lot of people in the real world that have vain and shallow characters. In reality if a relationship is only based upon beauty and good sex then the relationship is doomed from the start.
Fortunately Eddings is not too detailed in any of the character's sexual exploits and in the end what happens in the bedroom stays in the bedroom. We do not need to see or read about what is in effect a private matter between the two characters. While they are imaginary characters that exist inside the head of David Eddings, and while exploring a character's sexual escapades (as Piers Anthony does) is not necessarily an invasion of privacy, I feel in a way that it is not necessary. Books like American Psycho have a reason for explicitly describing a sexual encounter, but this is a fantasy novel, not some erotic romance.
I am not sure why I went down this road because, as I said, Eddings firmly closes the door once the characters enter the bedroom and we do not see what goes on behind it. We do not need to see it, and as we are generally adult enough to know what is happening why does the writer need to go into details. In all honesty he does not, and it is very clear that Eddings understands that as well. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Apr 25, 2014 |
The 4th book of the series. It keeps getting better, the characters are really well written, the story is really taking you in. I even felt a bit sorry for Ce'Nedra in the end. The wirter split it up in two seperate storylines, one for Garion and Belgarath and one for Polgara and Ce'Nedra, and it is really well done. Can't wait to read the last part. ( )
  Farore | Feb 7, 2014 |
the second-last part of the Belgariad. Don't read these books out of order as they have very little stand-alone quality. The Belgariad is superior to the Sword of Shannaras. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Dec 1, 2013 |
Great character development but not a lot of action. A prophesy is at long last fulfilled, but after that the book drags slightly as it builds toward the next and final book in the series. Still a fun and light read in an engaging epic. ( )
  wethewatched | Sep 24, 2013 |

Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bibbidie,
and for Chopper Jack
and for Jimmy and Eddie
- close and special friends who have given support from the start.
Being an account of how Riva Iron-grip became Guardian of the Orb of Aldur and of the evil wrought by Nyissa.
- based upon The Book of Alorn and later accounts

Now a time came when Cherek and his three sons went with Belgarath the Sorcerer into Mallorea. (prologue)
Ctuchik was dead - and more than dead - and the earth itself heaved and groaned in the aftershock of his destruction.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345335708, Mass Market Paperback)

END OF THE QUEST

It had all begun with the theft of the Orb that had so long protected the West from the evil God Torak. Before that, Garion had been a simple farm boy. Afterward, he discovered that his aunt was really the Sorceress Polgara and his grandfather was Belgarath, the Eternal Man. Then, on the long quest to recover the Orb, Garion found to his dismay that he, too, was a sorcerer.

Now, at last, the Orb was regained and the quest was nearing its end. Of course, the questors still had to escape from this crumbling enemy fortress and flee across a desert filled with Murgo soldiers searching for them, while Grolim Hierarchs strove to destroy them with dark magic. Then, somehow, they must manage to be in Riva with the Orb by Erastide. After that, however, Garion was sure that his part in these great events would be finished.

But the Prophecy still held future surprises for Garion--and for the little princess Ce'Nedra.

This continues the magnificent epic of The Belgariad,  begun in Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, and Magician's Gambit--a fantasy set against a background of the war of men, Kings, and Gods that had spanned seven thousand years--a novel of fate, strange lands, and a prophecy that must be fulfilled!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:15 -0400)

The Orb protecting the West from the evil God Torak was regained and the quest was nearing its end. Or so Garion thought. But the Prophecy still held future surprises for Garion--and the little princess Ce'Nedra.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,563,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible