Pirate King: A novel of suspense featuring…

Pirate King: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock… (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Laurie R. King

561None17,656 (3.5)78
Member:bfister
Title:Pirate King: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes (Russell & Holmes, Book 11)
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:Mary Russell, Sherlock Holmes, Pirates of Penzance, musical, silent film, pirates, Portugal, Morocco

Pirate King by Laurie R. King (2011)

I was very disappointed in this Mary Russell book. Too many characters and a pointless plot. I was bored. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 30, 2014 |
Enjoyable as always. Very interesting, if large, cast of characters. Captures the way you think early film making felt. Actually, kind of feels that way now. ( )
  bgknighton | Feb 13, 2014 |
Way back when my daughter was a youngish teen, she and I enjoyed mightily the storied of The Beekeeper's Apprentice and the ongoing story of Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes. So recently, in my hunt for mystery authors for Bloody Words Stormy Weather in Halifax, I grabbed this book from the library to see what Mary Russell was up to now.
Well, maybe I'm older and more cynical (I read Swedish authors, after all) but this book didn't grab me at all, with it's lengthy and needlessly complex setup. I feel certain that, had I stuck it out, I'd find a nugget of goodness there - King is a fluid writer and often funny and I enjoy that. But after many many pages, I had to toss it into the "return to library" pile.
Perhaps it would have been better to read the series again from the beginning, but I didn't enjoy them that much. I find Holmes a bit annoying at the best of times ("Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do" and all that) and really hate deus ex machina mysteries where the magical detective whips the secret out from under his cloak (it always seems to be a him) at the end.
Still, for fans of Holmes, it's interesting to see him as a non-drug-addicted, married man. For me, something doesn't fit. ( )
  Dabble58 | Jan 1, 2014 |
Status: on page 135...and bored silly. I am in a stubborn mood & will finish it, but so far this is my least favorite of the series.

More Recent Status: I made it to the big reveal at the end of the first half of the story and thought, "Oh, for Pete's sake," and closed the book. Possibly I will finish before I read the next book in the series, but possibly I won't.

Sheesh. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
I felt decidedly mixed about this one. This is the eleventh book in the Mary Russell series, which gives Sherlock Holmes a romantic and professional partner--and it works. Well, almost always. The series truly is a favorite of mine and usually hits the spot with its mix of Sherlock Holmes pastiche, mystery, and early 20th century historical fiction. I've grown to love Mary as a character in her own right. This one though, takes an entirely different tone than usual--in fact the first half plays as farce. It annoyed and bored me for a lot of that first half, and I considered abandoning it--at least until it regained the promise of it's subtitle: "A Novel of Suspense Featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes. Because for that first half there was no suspense and almost nothing of Sherlock Holmes.

It did redeem itself for me in the second half, but this certainly wouldn't be where I'd pick up the series, and if this is where you did, and you didn't care for it, I'd try again--the first in the series, The Beekeeper's Apprentice is one of the best--but so are several of the other books. I'm not the only one to be disappointed in The Pirate King--this has the lowest rating of any book in the series on Goodreads, averaging 3.34 stars while most installments are over four. I think what I find a weakness in the book comes ironically from a source of the strength of the series. The books are varies in tone, theme, settings--even narrative devices. And as a friend pointed out, the light-hearted nature of the book does make a welcome change of pace after the grimness of the last two books. But even though humor is a welcome element in the books, the humor here was either too broad for my tastes, or just not something King's forte.

That said, I did give it three stars because ultimately I enjoyed it, and am glad I finished it. There's only one more book in the series now for me to read, and I'm going to feel a pang when I finish it and have to wait for King to publish the next one. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Dec 29, 2013 |
This one's for Gabe: Welcome to the madness.
Honestly, Holmes? Pirates?

Sent to Lisbon and Morocco, where a British studio is creating a silent film version of "The Pirates of Penzance," Mary Russell investigates a series of crimes targeting the production and confronts a high-stakes situation when actual pirates orchestrate a hostage situation.… (more)

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Pirate King by Laurie R. King was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible