Pirate King: A novel of suspense featuring…

Pirate King: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock… (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Laurie R. King

Member:bfister
Title:Pirate King: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes (Russell & Holmes, Book 11)
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:Mary Russell, Sherlock Holmes, Pirates of Penzance, musical, silent film, pirates, Portugal, Morocco

Pirate King by Laurie R. King (2011)

I tried to like this book. The first few I read in this series were very good, very Holmesesque. Then the series became more like a history book and not fun at all. I gave up reading more in the series until a friend told I needed to give another try with this "pirate" book. Not enough Holmes in the book up to the point I quit reading. ( )
  kewaynco | Apr 10, 2016 |
So excited to catch up with Mary, Sherlock and Mycroft!
  SkiKatt68 | Feb 26, 2016 |

I would never, never accuse King of overreaching. No one who creates a successful mystery series with a 20-something wife for Sherlock Holmes is overreaching. However, in this volume in the series, the apt word is "misapplied".

Fflyttes of Fancy - just saying that phrase again makes me wince. It's as if King thought of a really good set of puns and decided to build a story around them. A ridiculous story with "real" pirates set against the "fictional" universe of Pirates of Penzance, drifting from England to Portugal to Morocco and thankfully not back again (although England would have been a welcome respite to the more "exotic" locations described). Also, it's as if she wasn't re-reading her own story, because she tells us over and over in the beginning why the actresses have been given names other their own. By the third time, I was feeling decidedly alarmed about the rest of the book.

And, yes, Mr. Pessoa may, in fact, have been a real person, but I could not have cared less about his peculiar personal outlook on life and his own "flights of fancy". In fact, that really sums up the entire novel for me - I just didn't care. The more ludicrous it became, the more offputting it was to finish.

I notice that it does get some of the lower reviews on Goodreads than her other novels, and that the next one has a slightly better average rating, so here's hoping. ( )
  khage | Feb 8, 2016 |
This was an entertaining, if convoluted, tale. There was a bit too much Pessoa for my taste, but it had a rollicking fun ending. ( )
  lkarr | Feb 6, 2016 |
Pirate King seems to be the least favorite book for most fans of the series, and the reason why seems fairly obvious - it's not a mystery. Mary Russell spends most of the book herding and running errands for a large cast of characters who are involved in producing a movie. In theory, there's a she's there to solve a mystery, but almost none of the prose is dedicated to solving it. I suppose if one had gone in expecting nothing but a humorous movie-making adventure that the book would be better received, but as the eleventh book in a beloved mystery series, it falls completely flat. ( )
  BrookeAshley | Jan 31, 2016 |
This one's for Gabe: Welcome to the madness.
Honestly, Holmes? Pirates?

Sent to Lisbon and Morocco, where a British studio is creating a silent film version of "The Pirates of Penzance," Mary Russell investigates a series of crimes targeting the production and confronts a high-stakes situation when actual pirates orchestrate a hostage situation.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible