Pirate King: A novel of suspense featuring…

Pirate King: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock… (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Laurie R. King

Member:bfister
Title:Pirate King: A novel of suspense featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes (Russell & Holmes, Book 11)
Authors:Laurie R. King
Info:Bantam (2011), Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:Mary Russell, Sherlock Holmes, Pirates of Penzance, musical, silent film, pirates, Portugal, Morocco

Pirate King by Laurie R. King (2011)

Not my favorite Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes adventure. Mary - and later Sherlock - head off with a film crew to find out why criminal activity seems to surround their productions. The current production involves Gilbert & Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance. I think it was just too slow for me and too focused on the film production. ( )
  hoosgracie | May 5, 2014 |
I was very disappointed in this Mary Russell book. Too many characters and a pointless plot. I was bored. ( )
  infjsarah | Mar 30, 2014 |
Enjoyable as always. Very interesting, if large, cast of characters. Captures the way you think early film making felt. Actually, kind of feels that way now. ( )
  bgknighton | Feb 13, 2014 |
Way back when my daughter was a youngish teen, she and I enjoyed mightily the storied of The Beekeeper's Apprentice and the ongoing story of Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes. So recently, in my hunt for mystery authors for Bloody Words Stormy Weather in Halifax, I grabbed this book from the library to see what Mary Russell was up to now.
Well, maybe I'm older and more cynical (I read Swedish authors, after all) but this book didn't grab me at all, with it's lengthy and needlessly complex setup. I feel certain that, had I stuck it out, I'd find a nugget of goodness there - King is a fluid writer and often funny and I enjoy that. But after many many pages, I had to toss it into the "return to library" pile.
Perhaps it would have been better to read the series again from the beginning, but I didn't enjoy them that much. I find Holmes a bit annoying at the best of times ("Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do" and all that) and really hate deus ex machina mysteries where the magical detective whips the secret out from under his cloak (it always seems to be a him) at the end.
Still, for fans of Holmes, it's interesting to see him as a non-drug-addicted, married man. For me, something doesn't fit. ( )
  Dabble58 | Jan 1, 2014 |
Status: on page 135...and bored silly. I am in a stubborn mood & will finish it, but so far this is my least favorite of the series.

More Recent Status: I made it to the big reveal at the end of the first half of the story and thought, "Oh, for Pete's sake," and closed the book. Possibly I will finish before I read the next book in the series, but possibly I won't.

Sheesh. ( )
  MelissaZD | Jan 1, 2014 |
This one's for Gabe: Welcome to the madness.
Honestly, Holmes? Pirates?

Sent to Lisbon and Morocco, where a British studio is creating a silent film version of "The Pirates of Penzance," Mary Russell investigates a series of crimes targeting the production and confronts a high-stakes situation when actual pirates orchestrate a hostage situation.… (more)

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Pirate King by Laurie R. King was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,606,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible