The High Crusade by Poul Anderson

The High Crusade (original 1960; edition 1983)

by Poul Anderson

7752611,908 (3.7)1 / 47
Member:RandyStafford
Title:The High Crusade
Authors:Poul Anderson
Info:Berkley (1983), Paperback
Tags:science fiction

The High Crusade by Poul Anderson (1960)

Space Folk by Poul Anderson (dukeallen)
    Ten Years to Doomsday by Michael Kurland (bmlg)
    bmlg: humour, tension, and the unexpected as a pre-industrial world clashes with highly advanced alien invaders.

Pretty funny, a good explanation of possible alien contact in the High Middle Ages. How do you review a funny book in a meaningful way? Spoilers are deadly, in this genre. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 2, 2013 |
This novel takes a common sci-fi premise – an alien race’s first contact with Earth – and adds an unusual twist: what if this contact took place in the year 1345? In the small English village of Ansby, Sir Roger de Tourneville and his vassals are about to join King Edward III on crusade when a giant alien ship suddenly lands among them. Despite being terrified at the appearance of what they believe to be demons, Sir Roger and his men fight the aliens and manage to gain control of the ship. Then, due to one alien’s cunning, the spaceship returns to its home planet – with Sir Roger and his Englishmen aboard!

This was my first experience with Poul Anderson, but it certainly won’t be my last! The description of this book just tickled me; how could I resist a book about aliens who land on Earth during the Middle Ages? I was expecting it to read almost like a parody and be extremely funny, but this novel actually has a lot of depth to it. I was surprised by how much I ended up caring for the characters, like Sir Roger, his chronicler Brother Parvus, and his wife Lady Catherine. I also think the book is well plotted, and the ending was a surprise in a very good way! I really, really enjoyed this book and will definitely be seeking out Anderson’s other work.
  christina_reads | May 13, 2013 |
I love Poul Anderson. It amazes me that he can write such masterful and complex works as The Broken Sword and something as silly and fun as The High Crusade, and make both equally enjoyable to me. The basic premise of this book is medieval Englishmen from around the time of the crusades, in space, brazening it out and taking over the universe. It is all dealt with very lightly, but there's still moments that are touching and emotionally compelling too -- Lady Catherine's words at the end of the story, for example.

One of my favourite bits:

"We have one prisoner who speaks Latin -- "
"I would not say that, sire," I interrupted. "His declensions are atrocious, and what he does to irregular verbs may not be described in gentle company."

Just, awesome. Ridiculous, but awesome. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
This book is absolutely silly and fun and a rollicking good time.

Is it high-literature spread with awesome twisty ideas and going to change the way you see the world?

Absolutely not.

Will you laugh your metaphorical ass off?

Maybe, I did chuckle a few times out loud while reading it (especially the "negotiation" tent scenes.

Aliens land on a field outside a Medieval village. Shit happens. And we discover what could happen when the SCA runs amok at a sci-fi convention.

Under the excellent and hilarious leadership of the local lord, and entire village packs up, and takes off in a stolen alien craft. They run amok of the alien race when the ship autopilots (with the help of a duplicitous captured-hostile). The "advanced" aliens learn that superior technology doesn't always win, and guerrilla warfare can be rather trying.

There was a little bit of seriousness with the political and economic business of trying to run a medieval-star-spread empire, but even that was light and kept the book fun.

Sure the story is dated and a little cheesy, but if you can read a story with you tongue firmly implanted in your cheek and enjoy yourself, then you'd like this book. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book is absolutely silly and fun and a rollicking good time.

Absolutely not.

Will you laugh your metaphorical ass off?

suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |

Woolheiser, JackCover Artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jens Christian and Nancy Hostrup ---
as well as Per and Janne ---
gratefully and hopefully
As the captain looked up, the hooded desk lamp threw his face into ridges of darkness and craggy highlights.

In the year of grace 1345, as Sir Roger Baron de Tourneville is gathering an army to join King Edward III in the war against France, a most astonishing event occurs: a huge silver ship descends through the sky and lands in a pasture beside the little village of Ansby in North East Lincolnshire. The Wersgorix, whose scouting ship it is, are quite expert at taking over planets, and having determined from orbit that this one was suitable, they initiate standard world-conquering procedure. But this time it's no mere primitives the Wersgorix seek to enslave - they've launched their invasion against Englishmen! In the end, only one alien is left alive - and Sir Roger's grand vision is born. He intends for the creature to fly the ship first to France to aid his King, then on to the Holy Land to vanquish the infidel!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:51 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible