Antibiotic Resistance: Understanding and…

Antibiotic Resistance: Understanding and Responding to an Emerging Crisis (edition 2011)

by Karl S. Drlica, David S. Perlin

Info:FT Press (2011), Advance Reader's Edition, Softcover, 288 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Antibiotics, Medical, Biomedical, Science, Advance Reader's Edition

Antibiotic Resistance by Karl S. Drlica

The authors outline and explain a problem that is not new but is starting to be brought into the public light. This book is written for people who use antibiotics and is written at an introductory yet clear level. The paramedics, farmers, hospital administrators and especially the public at large should read this book. If you do not have a background in basic biology the authors have included two appendix that give the basic background required to understand the rest of the text and I would recommend starting there.

The book is well presented on how the medical and agricultural use of antibiotics and their misuse has lead to pathogens mutating and becoming antibiotic resistance. And at present dosage and actually overuse of antibiotics will lead to a pathogen that will cause a pandemic. When is not discussed but when you read that rate at which the resistance strain mutate and spread it seems that this should be a subject of high priority. Yet pharmaceutical companies have been shutting down their antibiotic research division for it is not cost effective for them to continue.

The book is informative and not an alarmist manifesto. It covers the facts of use and history of antibiotics and present day measures. And proposes how we may be able to stop this path to a super resistant pathogen; a term not used by the authors. Most people know that the effectiveness of any type of drug diminishes with use and in low dosage the pathogens themselves become resistant. In order to rectify this situation will take a change of culture for all involved; farmers, medical professionals and moist important the general public. At present the authors show that all we are doing at present to slow down the spread and creation of antibiotic resistant pathogens is to increase dosage levels. These increased dosages may have more side effects but avoid the spread of the resistant pathogens.

I highly recommend that this book be read by medical practitioner, farmers and anyone who uses antibiotics. This is a very easy and interesting read. ( )
  hermit | Apr 1, 2011 |
We thank our families for their support and dedicate this work to the patients and clinicians who are confronting the harsh reality of drug-resistant infections.
As a normal part of life, we are all exposed to pathogens, the tiny microbes and viruses that cause infectious disease.

Authored by two leading investigators, this book presents a thorough and authoritative overview of this multifaceted field of science. Pathogenic bacteria have been evolving and spreading resistance to diverse classes of antibiotics. As a result, we risk losing our ability to control and treat infectious diseases. Understanding antibiotic resistance, therefore, is becoming increasingly essential for a broad audience of healthcare professionals, biomedical and public health researchers, students, and policymakers. The authors answer questions such as: What is resistance? How does it emerge? How do common human activities contribute to resistance? What can we do about it? How can we strengthen our “first lines of defense” against resistance? Are there better ways to discover new antibiotics? What unique issues are associated with MRSA and viral influenza? In addition to defining and evaluating one of the most important emerging threats to public health, the authors explain what can be done to minimize risks to public health, and to preserve and extend the effectiveness of existing and new antibiotics.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:02 -0400)

A clear, authoritative overview of the threat of growing antibiotic resistance in infectious microbes, as well as potential countermeasures.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,160,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible