Centaur Aisle by Piers Anthony

Centaur Aisle (1982)

by Piers Anthony

Series: Xanth (4)

A friend gave me this book. I was traveling and gave it a shot, because I hadn't tried any other books by Piers Anthony.

So, it's better than most magazines. It's not Terry Pratchett entertaining, but it was (barely) entertaining enough that I finished the book. A couple times, I almost stopped, but did finish it. The book contains some stereotypes of women that I found pretty sexist, but might also be the sort of mild titillation that could get a teenager interested in reading more.

I will say that if you're a fan of this series, you'll probably enjoy the book just fine. And Piers Anthony does a fairly good job of taking his universe's rules and tweaking them a bit, then examining the consequences.

If you're looking for funny or pun-related fantasy novels, I'd start with Terry Pratchett. If you're looking for serious fantasy novels, I'd start with The Name of the Wind. If you're looking for self-aware fantasy novels that play with the crossover between our world and a fantasy world--and you've already read the Chronicles of Narnia--then you might try Wizard's Bane, about a computer programmer who is transported into a fantasy world.

Maybe I'm being a bit too negative. If I ran across another Piers Anthony book, I'd probably be pretty happy to read it. ( )
  mattcutts | Oct 8, 2015 |
Mundania. ( )
  JorgeCarvajal | Feb 13, 2015 |
An enjoyable and sometimes slightly provocative entry into the Xanth series. Dor, Irene, Smash, and Grundy (and other characters) are fun to follow as they set out to rescue King Trent of Xanth in Mundania. I continue to be struck by how clever these novels are with the English language. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 21, 2014 |
One of the things that I noticed about the Xanth Series is that while they were written in a particular order, and while it is probably helpful to read them in order, it is probably not necessary to do so. Personally, even though the books do not directly follow on from each other, as do most trilogies or series, it is hinted that the books are following a vague time line. Obviously Centaur Aisle follows on after Castle Roogna, but not directly.
King Trent decides to go on a journey and puts Dor in charge of the kingdom. However Trent does not return when he is supposed to and Dor brings some friends together (a Golem and an Ogre, I think, it has been a long time since I read this book, so I am grateful to Wikipedia for having summaries of pretty much every one). Trent has gone to Mundania to try to establish trade routes, but he is captured. The catch with Mundania is that magic does not work there, so Dor and his friends travel to an island and meet up with a cantaur (Centaurs hate magic) who has been exiled because of a gift. His gift is the ability to create a field of magic where there is none. So armed with this 'weapon' they travel to Mundania to rescue King Trent.
It should be noted that Dor's gift is the ability to communicate with inanimate objects, which is a very useful gift for a king to have. The thing with Xanth is that everybody has a gift, but it is not like atypical fantasy novels where magic is learnt through hard study and is possessed by a few. Magic in Xanth is a birthright, however all one gets is that one gift, so it comes down to how this gift is used.
Some have suggested that these books are about hope, struggle against impossible odds, and never giving up. Sure, it is a common thread through a lot of books, but I would hardly say that it is worthy of writing an essay on. Even then, by year 12 my English Teacher would hardly have been impressed with me writing an essay on a Xanth Novel, when in his mind there are plenty of better novels out there on which one can write an essay. ( )
  David.Alfred.Sarkies | Apr 30, 2014 |
XANTH
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |

Anthony, PiersAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The author thanks Jerome Brown for the notion of the "Spelling Bee" used in the first chapter, and the many other fans whose letters of encouragement have caused the Xanth trilogy to be expanded.
May those who feel Xanth is sexist have pleasure in this novel, wherein Mundania is show to be worse.
Dor was trying to write an essay, because the King had decreed that any future monarchs of Xanth should be literate.

INTO DARKEST MUNDANIA

Dor was having troubles growing up to be the next Magician-King of the magic Land of Xanth. He wanted no part of running the Kingdom But now the Good King Trent was leaving on a trade mission to non-magical Mundania, home of such weird beasts as horses and bears, so Dor had to take over as King for a week.

A week passes. No Trent. Then three weeks. King Trent sill hadn't returned. Surely, something terrible had happened; he was apparently held captive in some foul dungeon, unable to escape. Dor was left with the burden of ruling - and with Irene, who was entirely too willing to be his Queen!

His only hope was to enter Mundania and free King Trent. But how could it be done without the powers of magic? Nevertheless, he started forth bravely - together with Irene, a golem, a centaur, and a young ogre - heading for the far south of Xanth.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345352467, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:59 -0400)

Dor agreed to act as King of Xanth so long as Trent was gone for a week. But the weeks passed and Trent did not return. Dor knew he had to rescue his king but with no magic powers, how could it be done ... ?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,436,904 books! | Top bar: Always visible