Jane Austen Made Me Do It: Original Stories…

Jane Austen Made Me Do It: Original Stories Inspired by Literature's Most…

by Laurel Ann Nattress (Editor)

Other authors: Pamela Aidan (Contributor), Elizabeth Aston (Contributor), Brenna Aubrey (Contributor), Stephanie Barron (Contributor), Carrie Bebris (Contributor)17 more, Jo Beverley (Contributor), Diana Birchall (Contributor), Monica Fairview (Contributor), Syrie James (Contributor), FJ Meier (Contributor), Janet Mullany (Contributor), Jane Odiwe (Contributor), Beth Pattillo (Contributor), Alexandra Potter (Contributor), Laurie Viera Rigler (Contributor), Myretta Robens (Contributor), Jane Rubino (Contributor), Caitlen Rubino-Bradway (Contributor), Maya Slater (Contributor), Margaret C. Sullivan (Contributor), Adriana Trigiani (Contributor), Lauren Willig (Contributor)

2012687,316 (3.7)9

Entertaining but uneven collection. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
Jane Austen fans will be disappointed. There were a few stories that I got lost in, and truly reached the Austen fan in me. However, so many of the stories barely mentioned Jane Austen or her works other than in a superficial manner. I would skip this one since there are so many other great books based on Jane Austen's work. ( )
  kegoodwin | Jan 30, 2018 |
Quite simply, this is a collection of short stories all inspired by Jane Austen. Some are set in Jane Austen’s time, some are set in the present day, some are set in a fantasy world. As can only be expected with such a collection, and with such a varying range of writing styles, some are far more enjoyable than others and preferences will probably differ from reader to reader.

My favourites were the ones with a touch of humour, and – surprisingly for me because I am a big Austen fan – I preferred the ones set in the present day.

My favourites were Jane Austen’s Nightmare by Syrie James (where Austen meets several of her characters who berate her for her treatment of them through her writing); ‘Jane Austen, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!’ by Janet Mullany (where several contemporary schoolgirls learn lessons about love and life through discovering Austen’s works), and ‘The Love Letter’ by Brenna Aubrey.

Most of the others were enjoyable enough if not particularly memorable for me, although there were a couple I unfortunately did not like at all – ‘Jane Austen’s Cat’ by Diana Birchall just seemed extremely silly, and ‘The Chase’ by Carrie Bebris, while obviously well researched (it is based on an incident in the Navy career of Austen’s brother Francis) also did not work for me. However as mentioned before, such opinions are of course completely subjective.

Overall, if you have an interest in Jane Austen or her characters, I’d recommend giving this book a try. And as it is a collection of stand-alone stories, it’s one you can easily dip in and out of. ( )
  Ruth72 | Oct 6, 2016 |
DNF: I read a couple of stories and the beginnings of the rest and most of them were painfully bad.
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |

Slater, MayaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sullivan, Margaret C.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Trigiani, AdrianaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Willig, LaurenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"Stories by: Lauren Willig, Adriana Trigiani, Jo Beverley, Alexandra Potter, Laurie Viera Rigler, Frank Delaney & Diane Meier, Syrie James, Stephanie Barron, Amanda Grange, Pamela Aidan, Elizabeth Aston, Carrie Bebris, Diana Birchall, Monica Fairview, Janet Mullany, Jane Odiwe, Beth Pattillo, Myretta Robens, Jane Rubino and Caitlen Rubino-Bradway, Maya Slater, Margaret C. Sullivan, and the winner of a story contest hosted by the Republic of Pemberley website. "My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." If you just heaved a contented sigh at Mr. Darcy's heartfelt words, then you, dear reader, are in good company. Here is a delightful collection of never-before-published stories inspired by Jane Austen--her novels, her life, her wit, her world. In Lauren Willig's "A Night at Northanger," a young woman who doesn't believe in ghosts meets a familiar specter at the infamous abbey; Jane Odiwe's "Waiting" captures the exquisite uncertainty of Persuasion's Wentworth and Anne as they await her family's approval of their betrothal; Adriana Trigiani's "Love and Best Wishes, Aunt Jane" imagines a modern-day Austen giving her niece advice upon her engagement; in Diana Birchall's "Jane Austen's Cat," our beloved Jane tells her nieces "cat tales" based on her novels; Laurie Viera Rigler's "Intolerable Stupidity" finds Mr. Darcy bringing charges against all the writers of Pride and Prejudice sequels, spin-offs, and retellings; in Janet Mullany's "Jane Austen, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!" a teacher at an all-girls school invokes the Beatles to help her students understand Sense and Sensibility; and in Jo Beverley's "Jane and the Mistletoe Kiss," a widow doesn't believe she'll have a second chance at love. until a Miss Austen suggests otherwise. Regency or contemporary, romantic or fantastical, each of these marvelous stories reaffirms the incomparable influence of one of history's most cherished authors. Look for special features inside. Join the Circle for author chats and more. RandomHouseReadersCircle.com"--… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Laurel Ann Nattress's book Jane Austen Made Me Do It was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Laurel Ann Nattress is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,921,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible