Three Hens and a Peacock by Lester L.…

Three Hens and a Peacock

by Lester L. Laminack

1921361,408 (4.25)None

Three Hens and a Peacock was such a cute story. I really enjoyed the characters. I thought they were fun and believable. For example, "The cows and the hens and the old hound kept right on doing what they'd always done. But that peacock had never lived on a farm. He had no idea what to do." I really enjoyed this quote because in the illustration the peacock is running around looking confused while everyone else is doing their job. I thought this was a great example of something believable that would actually happen in real life. I also really enjoyed the illustrations. They were very colorful and accurate. They made the story flow. I think the big idea in this story is to not be jealous of other people. The hens were jealous that the peacock didn't have to do anything around the farm except for sit by the road and attract customers. But when the hens try it out, they realize that they can't do it as well as the peacock could. ( )
  ckenne17 | Sep 30, 2014 |
This is a fun picture book that will really captivate younger children. The illustrations are colorful and fun. The cute story also delivers a good message about working as a team and being happy with who you are. ( )
  stephanie.croaning | Sep 28, 2014 |
I am getting to be a bigger fan of Henry Cole's illustrations--here, the chickens in their fancy beads and the dog's smile at the readers on the last page were my favorites. No surprises in the story, but I do like how everyone is willing to admit they were wrong. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
Love the moral of accepting a new, different person (or thing) into your life. Great concept book for kids. ( )
  lnmeadows | Nov 20, 2013 |
Three hens become jealous of a peacock who is new to the farm because he doesn't have to work as hard and it's just not fair. However, when they switch places, they quickly learn that they just can't do what the peacock can - attract visitors to the farm, and the peacock can't do what they can - lay eggs! They all get a lesson on possessing unique qualities and gifts. This is a great book for children to understand that diversity in all areas should be cherished, and that their talents may be different but all are equally important. ( )
  LindseyB12 | Feb 20, 2013 |

When life on the Tucker farm is disrupted by the arrival of a peacock, whose shrieking and strutting bring many welcome visitors, the hens complain that they are doing all of the work until the hound suggests a trade.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,410,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible