Three Hens and a Peacock by Lester L.…

Three Hens and a Peacock

by Lester L. Laminack

I thought this was a very cute book for a few reasons. First of all, I thought the illustrations were exciting and depicted the animals emotions extremely well. I also thought the characters were well-developed and that each one was comical yet necessary for the story. I thought that the language was light-hearted yet intentional, which is a great thing for beginning readers. The central theme of this book is presented through the hens and the peacock, who try to switch jobs but realize that each is better suited for their original position and that everyone has a purpose.
  ShaynaNewman | Oct 28, 2015 |
25 months - This is a fun read and has a good message. Everyone has their place and an important job in life even if we seem a bit different. ( )
  maddiemoof | Oct 20, 2015 |
I liked this book at first, but by the end I decided I did not like it. One reason I liked this book was because it shows children that some people are made a certain way for a certain reason. For example, the peacock's job was to look pretty and the chickens' job was to lay eggs. When they switched roles, the outcome was not what they expected it to be. Another reason I liked this book was the illustrations. I thought the colors were vivid and made the story pop. The facial expressions of the animals were funny to look at too. I didn't like this book because I felt the ending was confusing and just ended in a weird way. It ended how the book started but it was hard to understand what happen. I was left with some questions that needed clarifying and if I am having that issue, I feel like kids will too. ( )
  elagoy1 | Oct 2, 2015 |
Like this book. My sister has a peacock that she named blue He is beautiful, and her neighbor has chickens, Ha. very cute book. But it is how Mr. peacock feels left out, but they found out it is not as easy as it looks to do his job, and Mr. Peacock also appreciates what the hens do. Very cute! Good book to talk about appreciation. ( )
  Chavila | Mar 16, 2015 |
Three Hens and a Peacock is is wonderful book of illustrations/pictures. BUT, it is so much more about how we see ourselves others and the society we live in.
Three hens (female) try to bring visitors to the farm so the farmer can sell the eggs. A peacock (male) is dropped off and thus is the marketing tool for farmer to lead people to farm. There exists a hierarchy evolving. The chickens also want to be marketing tool for the farm, and the dog sees opportunity to change things. Question would be "Why?", does the dog see something to keep chickens as only "laborers".

Gender, Social Class, Supply and Demand, Race, Power are all great points to speak about with students. And allow them also to make predictions about books. ( )
  Adrian.Gaytan | Feb 9, 2015 |

When life on the Tucker farm is disrupted by the arrival of a peacock, whose shrieking and strutting bring many welcome visitors, the hens complain that they are doing all of the work until the hound suggests a trade.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,856,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible