Three Hens and a Peacock by Lester L.…

Three Hens and a Peacock

by Lester L. Laminack

Recently added bysradomsk, Jebelwheat, gmo2, LMS2881, private library, teachnco, JulieZ0, rookbeader, rrr2day

I am getting to be a bigger fan of Henry Cole's illustrations--here, the chickens in their fancy beads and the dog's smile at the readers on the last page were my favorites. No surprises in the story, but I do like how everyone is willing to admit they were wrong. ( )
  MelissaZD | Dec 31, 2013 |
Love the moral of accepting a new, different person (or thing) into your life. Great concept book for kids. ( )
  lnmeadows | Nov 20, 2013 |
Three hens become jealous of a peacock who is new to the farm because he doesn't have to work as hard and it's just not fair. However, when they switch places, they quickly learn that they just can't do what the peacock can - attract visitors to the farm, and the peacock can't do what they can - lay eggs! They all get a lesson on possessing unique qualities and gifts. This is a great book for children to understand that diversity in all areas should be cherished, and that their talents may be different but all are equally important. ( )
  LindseyB12 | Feb 20, 2013 |
This book is about how you shouldn't judge another person's job based on appearances. The peacock couldn't do the chicken's job, and the hens couldn't do the peacocks job. This story would be good to use for many age groups. I think older children in middle school, would be able to understand the moral and the lesson better than a younger student, but the moral is valuable. We judge too often in our culture, so a book that suggests that these judgements are wrong, is valuable and necessary in education. ( )
  dlow | Feb 17, 2013 |
A peacock shows up at Tucker's farm by accident. As the family is selling their goods on the side of the road the peacock comes out, attracting lots of customers. However, the hens get really jealous that he doesn't do any work but gets all this attention. So one day they trade places...the peacock tries to lay the eggs and the hens dress up and try to attract customers. But what a disaster! There end up being no customers and the hens realize what a tough job the peacock has. By the end of the story everyone appreciates their own place on the farm.

I have to say I'm a bit biased. I love Lester Laminack and he's a great advocate for teaching children to read, and one for teachers. I thought the book would be great for children who are learning to work together. I love how it's told through animals so that children have to look past that to get the meaning from the book. A great book for 3rd-5th graders for the moral content and younger grades for the enjoyment of the characters, illustrations and humor. ( )
  missbrandysue | Jul 24, 2012 |

When life on the Tucker farm is disrupted by the arrival of a peacock, whose shrieking and strutting bring many welcome visitors, the hens complain that they are doing all of the work until the hound suggests a trade.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,631,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible