Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish…

Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish Home and the Hearts of Two Women (edition 2011)

by Cindy Woodsmall, Miriam Flaud

Member:itsJUSTme
Title:Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish Home and the Hearts of Two Women
Authors:Cindy Woodsmall
Other authors:Miriam Flaud
Info:WaterBrook Press (2011), Paperback, 240 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Nonfiction, Amish

Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish Home and the Hearts of Two Women by Cindy Woodsmall

This is an engaging book cowritten by two Christian women, one Amish, and one every day American Christian. They take turns writing about their lives, their families, their faith, their hardships, and their friendship.

I was hoping to see a little more insight into Miriam's life, like a lot of people, I'm fascinated by the Amish because they lead lives so similar to our pioneer past. Naturally I respect their privacy, but I was disappointed that I didn't really "learn" anything about their lives, though I was interested to see that some Amish families do have telephones in a location separate from their actual home.

The book also includes recipes, a few I bookmarked to try later on, bits of Bible verses, and so on. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
I've enjoyed reading Cindy Woodsmall for years and when I came across this book, I could't wait to read it. I always love to read about an author's real life experiences that are used to mold and create the stories they write.

Plain Wisdom is a heartwarming book that shares a very deep and unique friendship between two women with very different backgrounds.

Both Cindy and Miriam share their friendship, lives and faith openly with humor and grace. I started out the book a bit distracted with life's demands but soon after, I lost myself in the pages and couldn't put it down till I was done.

A wonderful bonus to this delightful book is the great recipes included. They all sound so good ~ I can't wait to make them! I give Plain Wisdom high praise!
  mrsrenee | Jul 31, 2015 |
In a search for more Amish fiction, I found this book by putting in Cindy Woodsmall's name. I enjoyed this look at many aspects of life by both the Amish author, Miriam Flaud and the well-known Amish fiction writer, Cindy Woodsmall. All though a lot of it was about mothering which doesn't apply to me (except that I had one,) I still enjoyed their points of view and realized Amish and "English" Christians are both varied and similar in their walk with God. Although I could have finished it in a few days, I chose to read just one or two chapters a day to make it like a devotional while reading other books at other times. ( )
  eliorajoy | May 3, 2012 |
This non-fiction book is written by an Englischer (Cindy Woodsmall) and an Amish frau (Miriam Flaud). I always enjoy Woodsmall's work and I was very pleasantly surprised by Flaud's writing talent. Life as viewed by the Englischer writer and the Amish wife and mother is interesting-and their viewpoints are often the same. An interesting read. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Feb 5, 2012 |
In this small book lies huge pieces of wisdom sprinkled among antidotes of family life and community. Cindy Woodsmall, and "Englisher", becomes close friends with Miriam Flaud of Old Order Amish. Together they share lessons they've learned through life.

As a teenager, I lived in a part of Pennsylvania where Amish buggies are as common as automobiles. I made a few friends a few Amish families, though they were not the Old Order Amish as Miriam is. In this book, Miriam tells what she has learned as a woman living in a tight-knit community. Some of her stories bring a smile; others bring tears. She shares some recipes such as "Chicken Spaghetti", "Chocolate Coffee Cake", and "Egg Custard." The instructions are simple and the ingredients easy to find.

In each chapter, both women address a topic related to a Bible verse. Cindy shares her experiences as a wife, mother, and writer. Miriam shares her love of crafts, writing, and her family. It is a wonderful blending of two very different worlds by two not-so-very different hearts. Wonderful! ( )
  drteacherlady | May 22, 2011 |

Two friends from different worlds—one Old Order Amish, one Englischer—share the truths that bring them together.

Best-selling novelist Cindy Woodsmall might seem to have little in common with Miriam Flaud, a woman immersed in the culture of Old Order Amish. But with nine children and almost 60 years of marriage between them, Cindy and Miriam both have found the secrets to facing life with strength and grace. Whether enduring financial setbacks, celebrating new babies and times of prosperity, grieving the crushing losses in the deaths of family and friends, or facing disappointments with their respective communities—through it all they find guidance for each day by looking to God.

With poignant recollections, unexpected insights, and humorous tales, the two women welcome you into their unique friendship.  You’ll also gain a rare glimpse into the traditions and ways of the Amish as Miriam recalls special occasions and shares family recipes throughout the book.

Plain Wisdom is a heartwarming celebration of God, womanhood, and the search for beauty that unites us all. So grab your cup and your quilt and settle in for a soul-comforting read with Plain Wisdom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:49 -0400)

Novelist Cindy Woodsmall and Miriam Flaud, an Old Order Amish woman, offer a view into their friendship and the traditions and ways of the Amish as they celebrate womanhood, God, and the special place of family in their lives.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,059,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible