Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Wonderstruck (2011)

by Brian Selznick

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (bell7)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (Unoriginality)
    Unoriginality: Same author. Filled with many beautiful illustrations like in Wonderstruck. In my opinion it is superior to Wonderstruck.
    Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Richard Jacobson (kaledrina)

English (220)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (222)
A beautiful story, I just wish it didn't rely so heavily on "What a coincidence!" and deus ex machina. ( )
  benuathanasia | Aug 10, 2018 |
I found the story had to work too hard to force all the connections together.

I did like the New York Panorama though.
  rakerman | Apr 23, 2018 |
Naturally I loved the illustrations. This man has a way with pictures. The story was a tad less convincing-the kid gets struck by lightning when picking up the phone to call his long-lost dad, rendering the child deaf in his GOOD ear? Randomly meeting his grandmother in one of the largest cities in the world, even though neither had met each other before? A little too many coincidences, if you ask me. Granted, it's a children's book, and I did enjoy it overall. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Ben lives with his aunt and uncle, because his mother died when he was young. He finds a bookmark in his mothers book, with the name "Danny" on it, who he assumes is his father. He ventures to New York to find his father. Rose is a little girl in 1927, and she goes to New York to meet her idol, Lilian Mayhew. Mayhew is actually Rose's mother, and doesn't want her running away again, so she locks her up. In 1977, when Ben is in New York, he runs into Rose in a book store. Rose, who is now an old woman, takes Ben to the Art Museum and tells him her story, and how she is actually his grandmother. The story ends when the 1977 New York Blackout occurs. This book would be good to teach about family, such as how the family tree works. ( )
  smm101 | Feb 22, 2018 |
I did not have a child to share this with, while reading-- what a shame. But nonetheless, I enjoyed reading it, and discovering the parallel story told in pictures. The magic Brian Selznick introduced in Hugo carries forth. When the narrative moved to the Museum of Natural History in New York City, my heart skipped a beat, and I was carried back to my own explorations of that wonderful collection. Now, after reading the author's note, I need to go back and find the tributes to Mixed-up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, another perpetual favorite of mine. And for the record, this book carries two tales, 50 years apart, one mostly in words, one in pictures, that blend together in a most satisfying way. ( )
  bookczuk | Oct 15, 2017 |
The two stories come together at the climax of the book, which manages to incorporate an impressive array of heartfelt issues: everything from education for the deaf to friendship, love of collecting, conservation, memories and dioramas. As I turned the pages my heart was well and truly warmed in that way beloved of a certain type of American children's literature – earnest, life affirming, educational, and impossible to dislike. Reaching the end I leafed back through the 460 pages of Wonderstruck, admiring the pictures, all thoughts of my daughter now banished. Honestly, Brian, I do know how you can be bothered.

Brian Selznickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kreloff, CharlesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saylor, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Sooner or later, the lightning comes to us all."

-Gregory Maguire
'A lion among men'
This book is dedicated to Maurice Sendak.
Something hit Ben Wilson and he opened his eyes.
He discovered a small blue book, its covers soft and creased with age. On the front, the title was stamped in black letters: WONDERSTRUCK. He flipped through the pages. The book was about the history of museums. On the back it said: Published by the American Museum of Natural History, New York, New York.
Ben remembered reading about curators in Wonderstruck, and thought about what it meant to curate your own life, as his dad had done here. What would it be like to pick and choose the objects and stories that would go into your own cabinet? How would Ben curate his own life? And then, thinking about his museum box, and his house, and his books, and the secret room, he realized he’d already begun doing it. Maybe, thought Ben, we are all cabinets of wonders.

Ben et Rose aimeraient bien que leur vie soit différente . Ben vient de perdre sa mere . Rose rêve d'une mystérieuse actrice . Un jour Ben découvre dans la chambre de sa mère , un indice qui l'intrigue . Un jour Rose lit dans la presse un article qui la fascine . Dès lors , chacun part en quête de son identité... à New York ! Mais Ben vit en 1977 et Rose en 1927...

Having lost his mother and his hearing in a short time, twelve-year-old Ben leaves his Minnesota home in 1977 to seek the father he never knew in New York City, and meets there Rose, who is also longing for something missing from her life. Ben's story is told in words; Rose's in pictures.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,003,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible