Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Wonderstruck (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Brian Selznick

Member:srearley
Title:Wonderstruck
Authors:Brian Selznick
Info:Scholastic Press (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 608 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2012, favorites, middle-grade

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (2011)

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (bell7)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (Unoriginality)
    Unoriginality: Same author. Filled with many beautiful illustrations like in Wonderstruck. In my opinion it is superior to Wonderstruck.
    Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Richard Jacobson (kaledrina)

English (212)  French (1)  All (213)
This was my first crack at Selznick, who writes beautifully illustrated children's novels where the pictures and words alternate in telling the story. Ben is a boy from rural Minnesota who goes deaf after being struck by lightning. His mother has died in a car accident and he lives with his aunt and uncle. Visiting his old house, he finds evidence of his unknown father and runs away to New York city to find him. Meanwhile, a parallel story from decades earlier tells of Rose, a deaf girl from Hoboken who breaks away from a restrictive home environment to visit her father at the wondrous Museum of Natural History.

The book was as enchanting as everyone says it is, and I'm sure as a kid I would have loved it and would have related to the sense of wonder connected with museums. The plot is not implausible, it's impossible, but that's the stuff kids' dreams are made of. I liked the theme of deaf culture woven through the book, too. ( )
  CasualFriday | Nov 23, 2016 |
Ben a half deaf child caused by a lightning strike whose mother died early on is stuck living with his aunt. Rose is deaf girl that lives in with her parents; one of the parents is a movie star Lillian Mayhew. She is locked in her house and cannot leave and therefor live a sad life. Ben and Rose escape to New York, and happen to find what they are looking for at the Museum of Natural History. I need to mention Rose and Ben's stories are completely separate. Ironically Ben's dad works at the Museum of Natural History, which Ben went to visit. The theme of this story is communication. Communication through signing, for people who can hear and cannot hear are shown coming together. ( )
  John_Spelce | Nov 8, 2016 |
This book was okay. There wasn't anything wrong with it; It just did not captivate us the way that The Invention of Hugo Cabret did. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Nov 1, 2016 |
Just as wonderful and imaginative as his other books. Definitely recommended. ( )
  electrascaife | Oct 24, 2016 |
Two stories are told, one through pictures and one through words. The story of a young boy who searches, Ben for answers about his dad, and a deaf woman who in the end he discovers is his grandmother.
  tbeard76 | Jul 11, 2016 |
The two stories come together at the climax of the book, which manages to incorporate an impressive array of heartfelt issues: everything from education for the deaf to friendship, love of collecting, conservation, memories and dioramas. As I turned the pages my heart was well and truly warmed in that way beloved of a certain type of American children's literature – earnest, life affirming, educational, and impossible to dislike. Reaching the end I leafed back through the 460 pages of Wonderstruck, admiring the pictures, all thoughts of my daughter now banished. Honestly, Brian, I do know how you can be bothered.

Brian Selznickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kreloff, CharlesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saylor, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Sooner or later, the lightning comes to us all."

-Gregory Maguire
'A lion among men'
This book is dedicate to Maurice Sendak
Something hit Ben Wilson and he opened his eyes.
He discovered a small blue book, its covers soft and creased with age. On the front, the title was stamped in black letters: WONDERSTRUCK. He flipped through the pages. The book was about the history of museums. On the back it said: Published by the American Museum of Natural History, New York, New York.
Ben remembered reading about curators in Wonderstruck, and thought about what it meant to curate your own life, as his dad had done here. What would it be like to pick and choose the objects and stories that would go into your own cabinet? How would Ben curate his own life? And then, thinking about his museum box, and his house, and his books, and the secret room, he realized he’d already begun doing it. Maybe, thought Ben, we are all cabinets of wonders.

Ben et Rose aimeraient bien que leur vie soit différente . Ben vient de perdre sa mere . Rose rêve d'une mystérieuse actrice . Un jour Ben découvre dans la chambre de sa mère , un indice qui l'intrigue . Un jour Rose lit dans la presse un article qui la fascine . Dès lors , chacun part en quête de son identité... à New York ! Mais Ben vit en 1977 et Rose en 1927...

Having lost his mother and his hearing in a short time, twelve-year-old Ben leaves his Minnesota home in 1977 to seek the father he never knew in New York City, and meets there Rose, who is also longing for something missing from her life. Ben's story is told in words; Rose's in pictures.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,792,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible