Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Wonderstruck (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Brian Selznick

1,8002073,890 (4.33)160
Member:srearley
Title:Wonderstruck
Authors:Brian Selznick
Info:Scholastic Press (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 608 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2012, favorites, middle-grade

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (2011)

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (bell7)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (Unoriginality)
    Unoriginality: Same author. Filled with many beautiful illustrations like in Wonderstruck. In my opinion it is superior to Wonderstruck.
    Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Richard Jacobson (kaledrina)

English (206)  French (1)  All languages (207)
Wonderstruck is about a boy named Ben and when his mom dies in a car crash, he goes through all of her stuff and discovers clues about the things he finds. He comes across a bookmark with his mom's handwriting and a number and Ben decides to call it. He puts the phone up to his good ear and then all of the sudden lightning hits his house. When he wakes up, he is in the hospital but it's silent. His aunt comes in and writes down what happend to him. Ben makes his decition, he is going to go to NYC to find his dad. I like this book because it tells the story from two different perspectives, one from his grandmother's in pictures and Bens' perspective in words. My favorite part is at the end when they both come together and both of their stories combine in pictures and words. ( )
  MadelynM14 | May 23, 2016 |
Selznick wonderfully produces two different stories about a boy and his grandmother that are ultimately connected in the end. Selznick illustrates the grandmother's story beautifully and it is very easy to understand. While he uses words to depict what is happening in the boy's life. When Ben loses his mother, he finds hints to the location of a man named Danny and goes on an adventure alone to find him. He eventually finds his grandmother, who tells him her story and her sons. It seems a tad long when you first pick it up, however half of it is the grandmother's story told in beautifully drawn pictures. ( )
  dperrin | Apr 3, 2016 |
[‎November ‎10, ‎2011] Yesterday I went book-shopping, and I saw this HUGE beautiful book... It's gorgeous. I have to get it later. But I'm officially broke now! Two stories are told, from two sides, the boy tells it with words the girl tells it with pictures... all sketched with pencil. I have to get this book soon, I love books and I love art, this combines two. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
I think Wonderstruck is a good book about the connection between a boy and his grandmother. I recommend this book to kids who hang out with there grand parents This book is by Brian Selznick. This book is a good book because half the book is about the grandma the other half is about the boy. Having two stories in one that are connected make it interesting.

--Hannah Hallick ( )
  HannahH17 | Feb 24, 2016 |
Selznick fills his books with wonderful drawings to enhance the story he tells. In this book, the story told by Ben about losing his mother and trying to find out more about his father are broken up by drawings of a girl, and occasional pieces about the life of Rose. Their two lives cross in an unexpected way, bringing the two stories together. The pictures are a wonderful addition to the stories, which I found to be fun and exciting while also being emotional, heartbreaking at times, but always with some silver lining of hope.
  GretchenLynn | Feb 23, 2016 |
The two stories come together at the climax of the book, which manages to incorporate an impressive array of heartfelt issues: everything from education for the deaf to friendship, love of collecting, conservation, memories and dioramas. As I turned the pages my heart was well and truly warmed in that way beloved of a certain type of American children's literature – earnest, life affirming, educational, and impossible to dislike. Reaching the end I leafed back through the 460 pages of Wonderstruck, admiring the pictures, all thoughts of my daughter now banished. Honestly, Brian, I do know how you can be bothered.

Brian Selznickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kreloff, CharlesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saylor, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Sooner or later, the lightning comes to us all."

-Gregory Maguire
'A lion among men'
This book is dedicate to Maurice Sendak
Something hit Ben Wilson and he opened his eyes.
He discovered a small blue book, its covers soft and creased with age. On the front, the title was stamped in black letters: WONDERSTRUCK. He flipped through the pages. The book was about the history of museums. On the back it said: Published by the American Museum of Natural History, New York, New York.
Ben remembered reading about curators in Wonderstruck, and thought about what it meant to curate your own life, as his dad had done here. What would it be like to pick and choose the objects and stories that would go into your own cabinet? How would Ben curate his own life? And then, thinking about his museum box, and his house, and his books, and the secret room, he realized he’d already begun doing it. Maybe, thought Ben, we are all cabinets of wonders.

Ben et Rose aimeraient bien que leur vie soit différente . Ben vient de perdre sa mere . Rose rêve d'une mystérieuse actrice . Un jour Ben découvre dans la chambre de sa mère , un indice qui l'intrigue . Un jour Rose lit dans la presse un article qui la fascine . Dès lors , chacun part en quête de son identité... à New York ! Mais Ben vit en 1977 et Rose en 1927...

Having lost his mother and his hearing in a short time, twelve-year-old Ben leaves his Minnesota home in 1977 to seek the father he never knew in New York City, and meets there Rose, who is also longing for something missing from her life. Ben's story is told in words; Rose's in pictures.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,836,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible