Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Wonderstruck (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Brian Selznick, Brian Selznick (Illustrator)

1,465None5,122 (4.35)146
Member:demmiee
Title:Wonderstruck
Authors:Brian Selznick
Other authors:Brian Selznick (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 608 pages
Tags:Graphic novel hybrid - a journey to love and understanding

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (2011)

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (bell7)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (Unoriginality)
    Unoriginality: Same author. Filled with many beautiful illustrations like in Wonderstruck. In my opinion it is superior to Wonderstruck.
    Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Richard Jacobson (kaledrina)

I found Wonderstruck to be utterly fascinating and unique. Ben’s story is told in words while Rose’s story is told in pictures. I don’t want to spoil anything, but telling Rose’s story in pictures helps the reader understand Rose’s life at a level that words cannot convey.

I think it’s pretty clear that Rose and Ben’s story will eventually come together somehow but I was completely surprised by how this happened.

Do not let the thickness of the this book turn you off. More than half of it is marvelous full -page illustrations. It only took me a couple of hours to read. The detail in the illustrations is amazing and the emotion each one conveys to the reader is breathtaking.

I read this story because it was a pick for the intergenerational book club my oldest son and I are a part of. This book was thoroughly enjoyed by the adults and kids alike. I highly recommend Wonderstruck. ( )
  mcelhra | Mar 3, 2014 |
The parallel story running through this was great. Loved the illustrations. The story was maybe a 3 star for me - but with the way it was told I give it 4. I have not read The Invention of Hugo Cabret as of yet...but will be checking it out for sure. ( )
  dms02 | Feb 27, 2014 |
Cool book! Quick read. Lovely illustration. I love the way the stories mesh. I may even like it more than Invention of Hugo Cabret! ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Just as The Invention of Hugo Cabret, this was a delightful children's book. Both the stories of Ben and Rosa are told through words and pictures. The true magic is in the pictures which tell the story in themselves. A wonderful 4 star children's book. ( )
  WeeziesBooks | Feb 3, 2014 |
Winner of the Schneider Family Award. Told from Ben's point of view, in prose, in 1977. Told from Rose's point of view, through illustrations, in 1927. Both deaf, looking for parents in New York 50 years apart.
  bp0128bd | Jan 24, 2014 |
The two stories come together at the climax of the book, which manages to incorporate an impressive array of heartfelt issues: everything from education for the deaf to friendship, love of collecting, conservation, memories and dioramas. As I turned the pages my heart was well and truly warmed in that way beloved of a certain type of American children's literature – earnest, life affirming, educational, and impossible to dislike. Reaching the end I leafed back through the 460 pages of Wonderstruck, admiring the pictures, all thoughts of my daughter now banished. Honestly, Brian, I do know how you can be bothered.

Brian Selznickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kreloff, CharlesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saylor, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Sooner or later, the lightning comes to us all."

-Gregory Maguire
'A lion among men'
This book is dedicate to Maurice Sendak
Something hit Ben Wilson and he opened his eyes.
He discovered a small blue book, its covers soft and creased with age. On the front, the title was stamped in black letters: WONDERSTRUCK. He flipped through the pages. The book was about the history of museums. On the back it said: Published by the American Museum of Natural History, New York, New York.
Ben remembered reading about curators in Wonderstruck, and thought about what it meant to curate your own life, as his dad had done here. What would it be like to pick and choose the objects and stories that would go into your own cabinet? How would Ben curate his own life? And then, thinking about his museum box, and his house, and his books, and the secret room, he realized he’d already begun doing it. Maybe, thought Ben, we are all cabinets of wonders.

The stories of two troubled children, set 50 years apart, eventually intertwine in this stunning masterwork by the author of THE INVENTION OF HUGO CABRET. In 1977 rural Minnesota, 12-year-old Ben has hearing impairment, and very much misses his mother, who just died. He suspects his father is in New York City, so he runs away to search him out, eventually ending up at the American Museum of Natural History. Fifty years prior, a 12-year-old deaf girl named Rose lived in New Jersey with her father, obsessively building models of New York City and longing for her silent film star mother. She, too, absconds to the city and finds solace in the museum. Ben's tale is told in words, while Rose's is illustrated with black-and-white drawings. With hints of FROM THE MIXED-UP FILES OF MRS. BASIL E. FRANKWEILER, this wholly original tale will enchant readers.

Having lost his mother and his hearing in a short time, twelve-year-old Ben leaves his Minnesota home in 1977 to seek the father he never knew in New York City, and meets there Rose, who is also longing for something missing from her life. Ben's story is told in words; Rose's in pictures.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,465,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible