Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Wonderstruck (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Brian Selznick, Brian Selznick (Illustrator)

Member:patito-de-hule
Title:Wonderstruck
Authors:Brian Selznick
Other authors:Brian Selznick (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 608 pages
Rating:*****

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (2011)

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (bell7)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (Unoriginality)
    Unoriginality: Same author. Filled with many beautiful illustrations like in Wonderstruck. In my opinion it is superior to Wonderstruck.
    Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Richard Jacobson (kaledrina)

English (179)  French (1)  All languages (180)
I love the unique genre that Brian Selznick has created with young adult literature. The two stories being told become intertwined in the most interesting ways. I really did not want to put this book down. The way the two stories unfold through words and pictures make the reader feel like a detective that is searching for the same things as the characters themselves. This would also be a great book to introduce sign language. I also learned a lot of really interesting history about museums from reading this book. ( )
  alaina.loescher | Jun 29, 2015 |
The written story of a boy, Ben, who is living with his aunt and uncle after his mother has died.
The illustrations depict Rose’s story as a young deaf girl in New York city.
One night Ben returns to his house. After going through some of his mothers belongings he finds information on his long lost father. Having found a phone number that he believes to be his dads, Ben calls. While, his house gets struck by lightning. Ben wakes up in a hospital. Meanwhile Rose sneaks away from New Jersey into New York and finds her celebrity mother. When Ben wakes up he finds out that the lightning has ruined his one good ear. He is now deaf. Ben then decides to go to New York to look for his father. Both stories collide and we find out that Rose is Ben's Grandmother. Ben also finds out that his father has been dead for years. ( )
  chrisriggleman | Apr 22, 2015 |
A quick read for me. I didn't find the pictures particularly to my taste, and though I tried to spend time with them, I was able to follow the girl's story simply scanning them. I did not figure out her name until all the other clues started to come together, though.

Several times I thought the links between the characters was going to be more complex than they were. Ultimately, it's a pretty straightforward story. I mean, it doesn't even follow through on, for example, what's up with Janet in Elaine's bedroom....

I liked this a little better than The Invention of Hugo Cabret, but I have decided that Selznick and I are not on the same wavelength. This just didn't give me anything to think about, anything to mull over after I closed the cover. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I'm not usually one for books with pictures. I really can't stand graphic novels. This book didn't bother me though. The pictures just added another element to the story that made it a beautiful read. ( )
  Verkruissen | Mar 25, 2015 |
Two separate stories told simultaneously, one with text and the other solely through illustrations, Wonderstruck tells the tales of two deaf children who find themselves alone in New York City, one in the 1970's, and the other in the 1920's.
  Emackay24 | Mar 15, 2015 |
The two stories come together at the climax of the book, which manages to incorporate an impressive array of heartfelt issues: everything from education for the deaf to friendship, love of collecting, conservation, memories and dioramas. As I turned the pages my heart was well and truly warmed in that way beloved of a certain type of American children's literature – earnest, life affirming, educational, and impossible to dislike. Reaching the end I leafed back through the 460 pages of Wonderstruck, admiring the pictures, all thoughts of my daughter now banished. Honestly, Brian, I do know how you can be bothered.

Brian Selznickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kreloff, CharlesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saylor, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Sooner or later, the lightning comes to us all."

-Gregory Maguire
'A lion among men'
This book is dedicate to Maurice Sendak
Something hit Ben Wilson and he opened his eyes.
He discovered a small blue book, its covers soft and creased with age. On the front, the title was stamped in black letters: WONDERSTRUCK. He flipped through the pages. The book was about the history of museums. On the back it said: Published by the American Museum of Natural History, New York, New York.
Ben remembered reading about curators in Wonderstruck, and thought about what it meant to curate your own life, as his dad had done here. What would it be like to pick and choose the objects and stories that would go into your own cabinet? How would Ben curate his own life? And then, thinking about his museum box, and his house, and his books, and the secret room, he realized he’d already begun doing it. Maybe, thought Ben, we are all cabinets of wonders.

Ben et Rose aimeraient bien que leur vie soit différente . Ben vient de perdre sa mere . Rose rêve d'une mystérieuse actrice . Un jour Ben découvre dans la chambre de sa mère , un indice qui l'intrigue . Un jour Rose lit dans la presse un article qui la fascine . Dès lors , chacun part en quête de son identité... à New York ! Mais Ben vit en 1977 et Rose en 1927...

Having lost his mother and his hearing in a short time, twelve-year-old Ben leaves his Minnesota home in 1977 to seek the father he never knew in New York City, and meets there Rose, who is also longing for something missing from her life. Ben's story is told in words; Rose's in pictures.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,410,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible