Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Wonderstruck (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Brian Selznick, Brian Selznick (Illustrator)

1,7652043,990 (4.33)159
Member:patito-de-hule
Title:Wonderstruck
Authors:Brian Selznick
Other authors:Brian Selznick (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 608 pages
Rating:*****

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (2011)

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (bell7)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (Unoriginality)
    Unoriginality: Same author. Filled with many beautiful illustrations like in Wonderstruck. In my opinion it is superior to Wonderstruck.
    Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Richard Jacobson (kaledrina)

English (202)  French (1)  All languages (203)
I loved this book, because it had lots of pictures and it was very interesting.It was about this boy who is death and his mom died, and he did not know where his dad was so when he was in the hospital he ran away. When he got there he ran into a boy his age and the boy tried to talk to him but he could not here him. I would recommend this book to people that like mystery books.I would read this book again. ( )
  AlexisF7 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Probably my favorite part is poring over the illustrations and following Rose's story. A lot of great work went into this! ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This was a clever book and fun to read aloud with my kids. I enjoyed the parallel stories---the one told in drawings and the other told in the text---moving closer to one another over the course of the novel. It was suspenseful but not overdone.

My biggest complaint was that the pictures of young Rose were sometimes funny. She looked great in close-up, but in pictures of her whole body, her face was too large in proportion to the rest of her and it sort of ruined the effect. This book leaves me wondering: Was it really that easy for kids to run away to New York in years past? It can't possibly be that easy today, can it? Someone would surely stop them, right? (And then probably arrest the kid's parents because it seems like people are all about arresting parents when their kids do things on their own. Not that I want my kids to run away to New York City, nor do I anticipate it; I'd just rather not be arrested for it.) ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jan 28, 2016 |
Beautifully illustrated and written, my only disappointment with this book was when Rose and Ben's stories converged. The pace slowed dramatically as Ben found out about his past. In my opinion, there was too much telling and not enough showing. Otherwise, a lovely story despite its 600 pages. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
The two stories come together at the climax of the book, which manages to incorporate an impressive array of heartfelt issues: everything from education for the deaf to friendship, love of collecting, conservation, memories and dioramas. As I turned the pages my heart was well and truly warmed in that way beloved of a certain type of American children's literature – earnest, life affirming, educational, and impossible to dislike. Reaching the end I leafed back through the 460 pages of Wonderstruck, admiring the pictures, all thoughts of my daughter now banished. Honestly, Brian, I do know how you can be bothered.

Brian Selznickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kreloff, CharlesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saylor, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Sooner or later, the lightning comes to us all."

-Gregory Maguire
'A lion among men'
This book is dedicate to Maurice Sendak
Something hit Ben Wilson and he opened his eyes.
He discovered a small blue book, its covers soft and creased with age. On the front, the title was stamped in black letters: WONDERSTRUCK. He flipped through the pages. The book was about the history of museums. On the back it said: Published by the American Museum of Natural History, New York, New York.
Ben remembered reading about curators in Wonderstruck, and thought about what it meant to curate your own life, as his dad had done here. What would it be like to pick and choose the objects and stories that would go into your own cabinet? How would Ben curate his own life? And then, thinking about his museum box, and his house, and his books, and the secret room, he realized he’d already begun doing it. Maybe, thought Ben, we are all cabinets of wonders.

Ben et Rose aimeraient bien que leur vie soit différente . Ben vient de perdre sa mere . Rose rêve d'une mystérieuse actrice . Un jour Ben découvre dans la chambre de sa mère , un indice qui l'intrigue . Un jour Rose lit dans la presse un article qui la fascine . Dès lors , chacun part en quête de son identité... à New York ! Mais Ben vit en 1977 et Rose en 1927...

Having lost his mother and his hearing in a short time, twelve-year-old Ben leaves his Minnesota home in 1977 to seek the father he never knew in New York City, and meets there Rose, who is also longing for something missing from her life. Ben's story is told in words; Rose's in pictures.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,082,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible