Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Wonderstruck (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Brian Selznick, Brian Selznick (Illustrator)

1,8442093,764 (4.33)160
Member:patito-de-hule
Title:Wonderstruck
Authors:Brian Selznick
Other authors:Brian Selznick (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 608 pages
Rating:*****

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (2011)

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (bell7)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (Unoriginality)
    Unoriginality: Same author. Filled with many beautiful illustrations like in Wonderstruck. In my opinion it is superior to Wonderstruck.
    Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Richard Jacobson (kaledrina)

English (208)  French (1)  All languages (209)
Two stories are told, one through pictures and one through words. The story of a young boy who searches, Ben for answers about his dad, and a deaf woman who in the end he discovers is his grandmother.
  tbeard76 | Jul 11, 2016 |
This book was so good! When I began reading it, I didn't think I would like it at all, but I'm extemely glad I stuck with it! ( )
  bburton131 | Jun 19, 2016 |
A quick read for me. I didn't find the pictures particularly to my taste, and though I tried to spend time with them, I was able to follow the girl's story simply scanning them. I did not figure out her name until all the other clues started to come together, though.

Several times I thought the links between the characters was going to be more complex than they were. Ultimately, it's a pretty straightforward story. I mean, it doesn't even follow through on, for example, what's up with Janet in Elaine's bedroom....

I liked this a little better than The Invention of Hugo Cabret, but I have decided that Selznick and I are not on the same wavelength. This just didn't give me anything to think about, anything to mull over after I closed the cover. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I've been struggling to shelf this book, as I usually try to do so by genre or what made the book special. But how do you even start to describe a book that part novel and part graphic novel? I've shelved it for now with the graphic novels, in the hope I'll one day find a better solution, because that was the part that made this book very special for me.

I haven't read The Invention of Hugo Cabret yet, but when my sister brought Wonderstruck home, I knew I really wanted to read it. And I'm very glad I did. I won't tell too much about the story, because it is so wonderful to see and find out for yourself. Ben, deaf in one ear who's never known his father but wants to find him, tells his story through words, whereas Rose's story is told in pictures.

The novel is over 600 pages, but a lot of them are pictures, so this book is very readable (also for younger children). You can easily read the book in a single afternoon, if you wish. I was immediately sucked into the story and couldn't stop reading it. It's a very original and beautifully written children's book. (Of course, if you want to, you could comment on the storyline that's not always completely realistic, but I like to look to this book more as a modern fairy tale, more as an Noah Barleywater).

Some of the pictures were really beautiful, I especially like some of the close-ups of Rose. One minor comment, I read the Dutch translation, and some (most) of the text was translated from the pictures, however, sometimes, in one screen the text was translated and in the next it wasn't. That felt slightly off, and a bit lazy. But nonetheless, it's a very special book, half words, half pictures. I'd recommend it! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Wonderstruck is about a boy named Ben and when his mom dies in a car crash, he goes through all of her stuff and discovers clues about the things he finds. He comes across a bookmark with his mom's handwriting and a number and Ben decides to call it. He puts the phone up to his good ear and then all of the sudden lightning hits his house. When he wakes up, he is in the hospital but it's silent. His aunt comes in and writes down what happend to him. Ben makes his decition, he is going to go to NYC to find his dad. I like this book because it tells the story from two different perspectives, one from his grandmother's in pictures and Bens' perspective in words. My favorite part is at the end when they both come together and both of their stories combine in pictures and words. ( )
  MadelynM14 | May 23, 2016 |
The two stories come together at the climax of the book, which manages to incorporate an impressive array of heartfelt issues: everything from education for the deaf to friendship, love of collecting, conservation, memories and dioramas. As I turned the pages my heart was well and truly warmed in that way beloved of a certain type of American children's literature – earnest, life affirming, educational, and impossible to dislike. Reaching the end I leafed back through the 460 pages of Wonderstruck, admiring the pictures, all thoughts of my daughter now banished. Honestly, Brian, I do know how you can be bothered.

Brian Selznickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kreloff, CharlesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saylor, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Sooner or later, the lightning comes to us all."

-Gregory Maguire
'A lion among men'
This book is dedicate to Maurice Sendak
Something hit Ben Wilson and he opened his eyes.
He discovered a small blue book, its covers soft and creased with age. On the front, the title was stamped in black letters: WONDERSTRUCK. He flipped through the pages. The book was about the history of museums. On the back it said: Published by the American Museum of Natural History, New York, New York.
Ben remembered reading about curators in Wonderstruck, and thought about what it meant to curate your own life, as his dad had done here. What would it be like to pick and choose the objects and stories that would go into your own cabinet? How would Ben curate his own life? And then, thinking about his museum box, and his house, and his books, and the secret room, he realized he’d already begun doing it. Maybe, thought Ben, we are all cabinets of wonders.

Ben et Rose aimeraient bien que leur vie soit différente . Ben vient de perdre sa mere . Rose rêve d'une mystérieuse actrice . Un jour Ben découvre dans la chambre de sa mère , un indice qui l'intrigue . Un jour Rose lit dans la presse un article qui la fascine . Dès lors , chacun part en quête de son identité... à New York ! Mais Ben vit en 1977 et Rose en 1927...

Having lost his mother and his hearing in a short time, twelve-year-old Ben leaves his Minnesota home in 1977 to seek the father he never knew in New York City, and meets there Rose, who is also longing for something missing from her life. Ben's story is told in words; Rose's in pictures.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,582,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible