Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Wonderstruck (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Brian Selznick, Brian Selznick (Illustrator)

Member:patito-de-hule
Title:Wonderstruck
Authors:Brian Selznick
Other authors:Brian Selznick (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (2011), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 608 pages
Rating:*****

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (2011)

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg (bell7)
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (Unoriginality)
    Unoriginality: Same author. Filled with many beautiful illustrations like in Wonderstruck. In my opinion it is superior to Wonderstruck.
    Small as an Elephant by Jennifer Richard Jacobson (kaledrina)

English (214)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All (216)
Summary: Wonderstruck has two stories going on simultaneously- Ben's story, and Rose's story. Ben is a young boy who is partially deaf and growing up in Gunflint Lake, MN in 1977. Ben lives with his aunt and uncle after his mom passes away in a car accident. Ben discovers a bookmark signed "love, Danny" in his mother's book, Wonderstruck, and goes on a journey to discover the truth about his father in New York City. Along the way, he meets Jamie, who's father works at the AMNH museum, and teaches Ben a great deal about the museum, and a little sign language too. Jamie eventually takes Ben to the bookstore he has been looking for, and Ben meets Rose, who helps Ben piece together his own history. Rose's story takes place in New Jersey in 1927. Rose, like Ben, is also deaf, and travels to New York City to find her idol (who we later learn is her mother), and runs away when her mother asks her to leave, and threatens to call her father. Rose ends up at the AMNH and finds her brother, Walter. The two discover that Ben is Rose's grandson, and that Ben's father has passed away.

Personal Connection: I loved the many greatly illustrated pictures drawn by Selznick in this book, but the two competing storylines were hard to follow, until they connected at the end of the story. However, I loved the theme of again, finding one's place in a community, particularly Selznick's choice to incorporate the Deaf community.

Extras:
-Schneider Family Book Award, 2012
-Children's and Teen Choice Book Award (illustrator Winner 2012)

Application to Teaching: This book again, is too high level for K-1, however, it would be appropriate for an older middle school/high school audience- particularly with attention paid to the research conducted about the AMNH, Deaf culture, as well as dual storylines created in the same text, and how they connect (particularly since Rose's story is told only in illustrations). ( )
  alliecipolla | Jul 19, 2017 |
I'm not usually one for books with pictures. I really can't stand graphic novels. This book didn't bother me though. The pictures just added another element to the story that made it a beautiful read. ( )
  Verkruissen | Jul 8, 2017 |
4.5/5

Another wonderful read and beautiful pictures. ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
This book is about a boy named Ben and a girl named Rose.
Ben is half-deaf and Rose is full deaf.
Ben is trying to find his dad while his mom is dead.
Rose is trying to find a famous silent actor, her mom.
Both wishing for a good life.
Ben's story is told in words, while Rose is told in pictures.

I give this book 5 stars.
For illustration, story and characters.
This is my second time reading this amazing book.
The same author who wrote The Invention of Hugo Carbet.
I will definitely read it again (of a third time) ( )
  amariyanna.tb1 | May 11, 2017 |
Two young children wish they could have the life they have always dreamed of having. Ben misses his father, who he does not know, while Rose wants to know a silent actress, who she has always admired. The two children both travel to New York in hopes of finding what they have been longing and searching for. This book would be good for upper elementary students as an extra read during their free time. ( )
  Taylor20 | Apr 6, 2017 |
The two stories come together at the climax of the book, which manages to incorporate an impressive array of heartfelt issues: everything from education for the deaf to friendship, love of collecting, conservation, memories and dioramas. As I turned the pages my heart was well and truly warmed in that way beloved of a certain type of American children's literature – earnest, life affirming, educational, and impossible to dislike. Reaching the end I leafed back through the 460 pages of Wonderstruck, admiring the pictures, all thoughts of my daughter now banished. Honestly, Brian, I do know how you can be bothered.

Brian Selznickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kreloff, CharlesDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saylor, DavidDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Sooner or later, the lightning comes to us all."

-Gregory Maguire
'A lion among men'
This book is dedicate to Maurice Sendak
Something hit Ben Wilson and he opened his eyes.
He discovered a small blue book, its covers soft and creased with age. On the front, the title was stamped in black letters: WONDERSTRUCK. He flipped through the pages. The book was about the history of museums. On the back it said: Published by the American Museum of Natural History, New York, New York.
Ben remembered reading about curators in Wonderstruck, and thought about what it meant to curate your own life, as his dad had done here. What would it be like to pick and choose the objects and stories that would go into your own cabinet? How would Ben curate his own life? And then, thinking about his museum box, and his house, and his books, and the secret room, he realized he’d already begun doing it. Maybe, thought Ben, we are all cabinets of wonders.

Ben et Rose aimeraient bien que leur vie soit différente . Ben vient de perdre sa mere . Rose rêve d'une mystérieuse actrice . Un jour Ben découvre dans la chambre de sa mère , un indice qui l'intrigue . Un jour Rose lit dans la presse un article qui la fascine . Dès lors , chacun part en quête de son identité... à New York ! Mais Ben vit en 1977 et Rose en 1927...

Having lost his mother and his hearing in a short time, twelve-year-old Ben leaves his Minnesota home in 1977 to seek the father he never knew in New York City, and meets there Rose, who is also longing for something missing from her life. Ben's story is told in words; Rose's in pictures.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,042,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible