Irregular Creatures by Chuck Wendig

Irregular Creatures (edition 2011)

by Chuck Wendig

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:Irregular Creatures
Authors:Chuck Wendig
Info:Terribleminds (2011), Edition: First Kindle Edition, Kindle Edition

Irregular Creatures by Chuck Wendig

I enjoyed three of these tales, but the others were really in the realm of horror and I found them rather nasty. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Irregular Creatures is a collection of Chuck Wendig's short stories. Someone recently compared his work to Stephen King's, and I can see where they're coming from: there's something robustly readable about all of it, and the fantasy/horror aspects are all handled in a matter of fact sort of way. I can't remember how King handles narrators, at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised to find similarities there.

I think someone also mentioned a sort of cheerful vulgarity, and there's that, too. Sometimes I find that uncomfortable, e.g. in 'Mister Mhu's Pussy Show'; it's really not my kind of thing.

Mostly, the stories are fun, very readable, sometimes completely fascinating in their bizarreness. Chuck Wendig is an author I follow because I know he writes solidly and prolifically, and always has ideas I want to see played out.

Must get round to reading more of his Miriam Black books...
  shanaqui | Dec 18, 2013 |
Storie di varia lunghezza tutte alle prese con "Irregular creatures", ovvero elementi strani e spesso indesiderabili come gatti volanti, demoni, alieni o semplicemente psicopatici.
Mi piace molto lo stile dell'autore, prossimamente passerò ai romanzi.

Dog-man and Cat-Bird ★★★★
Una situazione familiare critica: lui dorme sul divano, lei costretta a essere severa avendo un marito che sembra un bambino e un figlio.
Lui, amante dei cani, si trova a accudire un gatto decisamente particolare a cui possono spuntare le ali.
Storia simpatica e simpatica la gatta (Mrow!).

A radioactive monkey ★★ (*)
Storia brevissima dal finale piuttosto prevedibile, genere horror.

Product placement ★★★★ (*)
Prodotti di cui non ricordavi l'esistenza ma che sembrano radicati da anni, queste sono le anomalie che il protagonista si troverà a affrrontate. Storia interessante (influenzata da Dick?).

This guy ★★★ (*)
L'amore umano per la routine in un contesto horror.

Miset Mhu's pussy show ★★★
Ancora genere horror, storia con meccanismo simile a "Product placement".

Lethe and mnemosyne ★★★ (*)
Storia brevissima sull'importanza delle memorie degli anziani.

The auction ★★★.5
Jack porta il figlio Benjamin all'Asta, un mondo ricco di creature strane in cui il ragazzo dovrà aiutare una sirena.

Beware of the owner ★★★★ (*)
Un bambino e il padre alle prese con un gatto intruso nella proprietà.

Do-overs and take-backs ★★★
Un altro racconto relativo alla presenza di più realtà che possono collegarsi tra loro.

(*) Disponibili anche gratis nel sito web dell'autore.
---
Stories of various length all about "Irregular creatures", so strange elements of undesirable creatures such as flying cats, demons, aliens or simply psychopaths.
I like this writer's style and I will try also his novels.

Dog-man and Cat-Bird ★★★★
A family in a critic situation: he is sleeping on the coach, she has to be strict since she has a child and a husband behaving as the child.
He, a dog-man, meets a wonderfully strange cat (it has wings sometimes).
A nice story and a nice cat (Mrow!).

A radioactive monkey ★★ (*)
A very short story with a predictable ending, horror genre.

Product placement ★★★★ (*)
Brands you do not remember existing at all but well known to the other people, these are the anomalies the protagonist has to deal with.
Interesting story (some influences from P.K. Dick?)

This guy ★★★ (*)
Human love for routine in an horror setting.

Miset Mhu's pussy show ★★★
Again an horror story with a turnover similar to the one of "Product placement".

Lethe and mnemosyne ★★★ (*)
A very short story about the importance of the elderlies.

The auction ★★★.5
Jack takes his son Benjamin to the Auction, a world rich of strange creatures where the boy will end in helping a mermaid.

Beware of the owner ★★★★ (*)
A children and his dad dealing with a cat intruder within their property.

Do-overs and take-backs
Another story about more realities that can link together.

(*) Stories available for free in the author website ( )
  Saretta.L | Mar 31, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,245,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible