Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings by Alison…

Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings

by Alison Weir

4014226,637 (3.59)1 / 29

I got this book as a free book one of Goodreads.com giveaways.

This book was a great read for me since I love history. This told me everything I could ever want to know about Mary Boleyn and corrected some of the many misconceptions there are about Mary. If you love history and would like to know more about Mary Boleyn and her life this is the book for you.

tianicolle | Jan 27, 2016 |
I got this book as a free book one of Goodreads.com giveaways.

tianicolle | Jan 27, 2016 |
This felt like left over research and was more disconnected than most of Weir's nonfiction. But not much can be done when there isn't much information to go on. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
The subtitle is in quotation marks for a good reason: much of what Weir does is in this book is to take a look at the actual evidence on aspect of Mary Boleyn's life that has come down to us, which more of than not reveals that what has become accepted fact is in fact fiction to a large extent. What we can know is rather less showy and dramatic than statements such as the subtitle would suggest, and there are large gaps in her life where we simply don't know much at all.

I enjoyed the critical take on the historical record and found this book well written and coherently argued. ( )
  mari_reads | Oct 18, 2015 |
This book is gratefully dedicated to

my editor, Anthony Whittome,

to mark his retirement
Introduction
Mary Boleyn has gone down in history as a "great and infamous whore."
Chapter 1
Blickling Hall, one of England's greatest Jacobean showpiece mansions, lies not two miles northwest of Aylsham in Norfolk.

Alison Weir built her reputation as an acclaimed, trusted historian with her nonfiction books, and this latest offering about the life of Mary Boleyn continues this esteemed tradition.

Bestselling British historian and novelist Alison Weir reconstructs the real story of the much-misrepresented Mary Boleyn. The mistress of kings, Mary was the lover of both Francis I of France and Henry VIII of England; sister to the infamous Anne, she has alternatively been labeled as a victim and a whore, a woman whose star rose and fell in the glittering Tudor court, whose life ended in banishment and relative obscurity when she dared to marry for love. Through Alison Weir's gripping exploration of Mary's life, a nuanced and accurate portrait of this fascinating woman emerges for the first time.

Presents a historical profile of Henry VIII's mistress and the sister of Anne Boleyn, examining her affair with Francis I of France, rise and fall in the Tudor court, and obscure later years after she married for love.

243 wanted3 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings by Alison Weir was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,083,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible