Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings by Alison…

Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings

by Alison Weir

3713829,183 (3.6)1 / 29

I liked this and found it very interesting, but not enthralling. It was a good book to help recover from The Other Boleyn Girl, but I don't think it could have hooked me on its own. ( )
  MizPurplest | Sep 21, 2015 |
  MizPurplest | Sep 21, 2015 |
The subtitle is in quotation marks for a good reason: much of what Weir does is in this book is to take a look at the actual evidence on aspect of Mary Boleyn's life that has come down to us, which more of than not reveals that what has become accepted fact is in fact fiction to a large extent. What we can know is rather less showy and dramatic than statements such as the subtitle would suggest, and there are large gaps in her life where we simply don't know much at all.

I enjoyed the critical take on the historical record and found this book well written and coherently argued. ( )
  queen_ypolita | Jul 5, 2015 |
Alison Weir attempts to present the facts and then gives us the probable conclusions as to what really happened. She is not afraid to bring up differing points of view and lists the source where it generated. I did well with the book until the end and then I have to admit I skimmed through summary of what happened to all the people mentioned. I was really only interested in the info on Mary and the end was getting tedious. I give this book a 4 out 5 stars. ( )
  Pattymclpn | Nov 25, 2014 |
Alison Weir never writes a bad book, as far as I can tell. This one suffers a little from the lack of available information about Mary Boleyn, but Weir still tells a good (true) story. If only more history were this well-written and accessible. ( )
  rainidontmind | Mar 14, 2014 |
This book is gratefully dedicated to

my editor, Anthony Whittome,

to mark his retirement
Mary Boleyn has gone down in history as a "great and infamous whore."
Chapter 1
Blickling Hall, one of England's greatest Jacobean showpiece mansions, lies not two miles northwest of Aylsham in Norfolk.

Alison Weir built her reputation as an acclaimed, trusted historian with her nonfiction books, and this latest offering about the life of Mary Boleyn continues this esteemed tradition.

Bestselling British historian and novelist Alison Weir reconstructs the real story of the much-misrepresented Mary Boleyn. The mistress of kings, Mary was the lover of both Francis I of France and Henry VIII of England; sister to the infamous Anne, she has alternatively been labeled as a victim and a whore, a woman whose star rose and fell in the glittering Tudor court, whose life ended in banishment and relative obscurity when she dared to marry for love. Through Alison Weir's gripping exploration of Mary's life, a nuanced and accurate portrait of this fascinating woman emerges for the first time.

Presents a historical profile of Henry VIII's mistress and the sister of Anne Boleyn, examining her affair with Francis I of France, rise and fall in the Tudor court, and obscure later years after she married for love.

193 wanted3 pay3 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Mary Boleyn: The Mistress of Kings by Alison Weir was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,707,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible