Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory…

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom (2003)

by Cory Doctorow

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: A darker, gritter take on downloadable consciousness and replacement bodies.
    Mine All Mine by Adam Davies (MonographicalyMe)
    MonographicalyMe: These titles share an interesting mix of the absurd and fantastical and the real challenges and natural quirks of human nature.
    Extras by Scott Westerfeld (lampbane)
    lampbane: Another look at the concept of a reputation economy, where wealth is measured by how famous a person is, and the main character desperately wants to stop being an "extra": just another face in the crowd.
    Truncat by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    Scroogled by Cory Doctorow (Liberuno)

English (82)  French (5)  Romanian (1)  All languages (88)
Really interesting and enjoyable book with with some interesting takes on society and the way we use technology. Great story too.
  troyka | May 5, 2016 |
I've mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I love some of the ideas, most obviously "Whuffie," the quantified amount of respect everyone uses as a sort of currency. It reads like good, old fashioned sf, but I don't much *like* old sf. On the other hand, I just plain disliked all of the main characters. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This a great example of cyberpunk and a rather fun story. The recording of this, though, is not very good. It is read by the author, which is fine aside from lack of distinction between characters, but it sounds like a live recording - there is paper rustling, flubbed lines, and general rushing through passages, plus some parts are loud and others are soft. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Feb 19, 2016 |
I started reading Doctorow's books written in 2009/2010 first. This much earlier book doesn't hold a candle to his later work. I liked it but ... the later works are much more well written! ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
Hm. So I read this simply because I'm working on a project where we're throwing around the term "whuffie" quite often. I wanted to make sure I understood where the term came from. And Magic Kingdom is a short read -- and free -- so why not?

Overall: I like some of the ideas. I like exploring what happens when people live in a world of total abundance -- when they don't die, they don't starve, they can totally remake their bodies at a whim, etc. But this book kind of suffers from existing in this universe where Nothing Really Matters: Magic Kingdom is way too light. There's almost no substance to it. The central plot feels utterly inconsequential. The hundred-plus year-old characters have the wisdom of teenagers. And the moments when the story should take us aside and really explore some of the implications of all of this life-extension, social-currency ("whuffie") economy, etc stuff -- it doesn't. Which is a shame.

Anyway: It's a fun read. A quick read. Just lacking in substance. ( )
  chasing | Jan 18, 2016 |

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Collica, MichaelDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eshkar, ShelleyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I lived long enough to see the cure for death; to see the rise of the Bitchun Society, to learn ten languages; to compose three symphonies; to realize my boyhood dream of taking up residence in Disney World; to see the death of the workplace and of work.
You don't want to be a post-person. You want to stay human.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076530953X, Paperback)

On The Skids In The Transhuman Future

Disney World! The greatest artistic achievement of the long-ago twentieth century. Now in the keeping of a network of "ad-hocs" who keep the classic attractions running as they always have, enhanced with only the smallest high-tech touches.

Now, though, the "ad hocs" are under attack. A new group has taken over the Hall of the Presidents, and is replacing its venerable audioanimatronics with new, immersive direct-to-brain interfaces that give guests the illusion of being Washington, Lincoln, and all the others. For Jules, this is an attack on the artistic purity of Disney World itself.

Worse: it appears this new group has had Jules killed. This upsets him. (It's only his fourth death and revival, after all.) Now it's war....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:26 -0400)

"Jules is a young man barely a century old. He's lived long enough to see the cure for death and the end of scarcity, to learn ten languages and compose three symphonies...and to realize his boyhood dream of taking up residence in Disney World." "Disney World! The greatest artistic achievement of the long-ago twentieth century. Now in the care of a network of volunteer "ad-hocs" who keep the classic attractions running as they always have, enhanced with only the smallest high-tech touches." "Now, though, it seems the "ad hocs" are under attack. A new group has taken over the Hall of Presidents and is replacing its venerable audioanimatronics with new, immersive direct-to-brain interfaces that give guests the illusion of being Washington, Lincoln, and all the others. For Jules, this is an attack on the artistic purity of Disney World itself." "Worse: it appears this new group has had Jules killed. This upsets him. (It's only his fourth death and revival, after all.) Now it's war: war for the soul of the Magic Kingdom, a war of ever-shifting reputations, technical wizardry, and entirely unpredictable outcomes."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

5 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,827,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible