Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory…

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom (2003)

by Cory Doctorow

Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: A darker, gritter take on downloadable consciousness and replacement bodies.
    Mine All Mine by Adam Davies (MonographicalyMe)
    MonographicalyMe: These titles share an interesting mix of the absurd and fantastical and the real challenges and natural quirks of human nature.
    Extras by Scott Westerfeld (lampbane)
    lampbane: Another look at the concept of a reputation economy, where wealth is measured by how famous a person is, and the main character desperately wants to stop being an "extra": just another face in the crowd.
    Truncat by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    Scroogled by Cory Doctorow (Liberuno)

English (75)  French (5)  Romanian (1)  All languages (81)
Liked this book and still remember 7 years later. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
The future! Where death has been conquered, there's no scarcity, no work and no money either. But there's still Disney World and that's where Julius currently resides with his girlfriend Lil. He's joined the ad-hoc society that's keeping Liberty Square and Tom Sawyer Island running as it's always been running despite fresh interest in upgrading with the latest technology. That is until he gets murdered and while he's away getting restored from his last backup another ad-hoc has taken a run at the Hall of Presidents and their modern refurb has gone down a storm. Julius obviously suspects them of his murder and using the distraction to gain a foothold and thinks this new group will not be satisfied with just the Hall and the beloved Haunted Mansion could be next. Jules needs a plan to stop them and so enlists the aid of his newly arrived long-time friend Dan to put what he comes up with into action.

The reader is dumped straight into this new world without much exposition to help come to terms with it. What's Whuffie and why does it matter if you've got none? Never fear as it all becomes clear if you just keep reading. (It's a way of keeping track of your current approval rating and with enough of it you can pretty much do anything you want to.) There are some grandiose ideas contained in this short (just about hits the 200 page mark) novel but the majority of them never really pass beyond germination as the story concentrates on the plot at hand with only a few diversions along the way. Unfortunately, this leads to garnering the reader with certain expectations with the setup of the book which are then not followed through with. It probably doesn't help that the main character is not really that likeable either but as this was the first published novel from the author then allowances can be made especially since I've already highly enjoyed one of his later works ([Little Brother]). Still, I'm not entirely disappointed that I've read it and it's a very quick and easy read. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Oct 8, 2014 |
This future world is so intricately created, bringing a sense of the familiar from the theme parks, and the futuristic science fiction elements.

The main character's emotions and mindset came through remarkably. I hated his decisions and I loved him for it. The secondary characters are well written as well, but I think the story ended a bit too abruptly to fully give them a finish.

The plot was engaging, a murder mystery and a corporation take over to spice things up.

3.5 stars rounded down because I probably won't reread it. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |

3.5 stars rounded down because I probably won't reread it. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
I really like Cory Doctorow's ideals so I wanted to check out one of his books. I really like the idea of the book. It is a very humorous plot of "death being non-existent so let's spend eternity at Disney World". Unfortunately the plot didn't really suck me in. I felt like he could have done so much more. The biggest problem was most likely that I listened to the audiobook, which Cory Doctorow narrated himself. He isn't much of a voice actor and I think this took away from the book a lot. I think if I would have read it instead, I would have enjoyed it more. It still kept me very entertained though and will probably pick up another one of his books. ( )
  renbedell | Jul 2, 2014 |

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Collica, MichaelDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eshkar, ShelleyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I lived long enough to see the cure for death; to see the rise of the Bitchun Society, to learn ten languages; to compose three symphonies; to realize my boyhood dream of taking up residence in Disney World; to see the death of the workplace and of work.
You don't want to be a post-person. You want to stay human.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076530953X, Paperback)

On The Skids In The Transhuman Future

Disney World! The greatest artistic achievement of the long-ago twentieth century. Now in the keeping of a network of "ad-hocs" who keep the classic attractions running as they always have, enhanced with only the smallest high-tech touches.

Now, though, the "ad hocs" are under attack. A new group has taken over the Hall of the Presidents, and is replacing its venerable audioanimatronics with new, immersive direct-to-brain interfaces that give guests the illusion of being Washington, Lincoln, and all the others. For Jules, this is an attack on the artistic purity of Disney World itself.

Worse: it appears this new group has had Jules killed. This upsets him. (It's only his fourth death and revival, after all.) Now it's war....

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:39 -0400)

"Jules is a young man barely a century old. He's lived long enough to see the cure for death and the end of scarcity, to learn ten languages and compose three symphonies...and to realize his boyhood dream of taking up residence in Disney World." "Disney World! The greatest artistic achievement of the long-ago twentieth century. Now in the care of a network of volunteer "ad-hocs" who keep the classic attractions running as they always have, enhanced with only the smallest high-tech touches." "Now, though, it seems the "ad hocs" are under attack. A new group has taken over the Hall of Presidents and is replacing its venerable audioanimatronics with new, immersive direct-to-brain interfaces that give guests the illusion of being Washington, Lincoln, and all the others. For Jules, this is an attack on the artistic purity of Disney World itself." "Worse: it appears this new group has had Jules killed. This upsets him. (It's only his fourth death and revival, after all.) Now it's war: war for the soul of the Magic Kingdom, a war of ever-shifting reputations, technical wizardry, and entirely unpredictable outcomes."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

5 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible