Zomerhuis met zwembad by Herman Koch

Zomerhuis met zwembad (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Herman Koch

Member:mietclaes
Title:Zomerhuis met zwembad
Authors:Herman Koch
Info:Amsterdam Anthos cop. 2011
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Summer House with Swimming Pool by Herman Koch (2011)

English (66)  Dutch (17)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (88)
Marc Schlosser is the doctor to the stars. Famous authors, comedians, and actors alike make him the physician of choice, mainly because of his less-than-personal relationship with patients, and his liberal attitude towards the prescription pad. However, when a famous actor Ralph Meier dies after having a routine procedure done in his office, Marc must come up with answers as to why. However, this is not a simple accident. The answer lies with events that started the previous summer while Schlosser and his family and Meier’s family were on vacation when a horrendous incident occurred.

Similar to Herman Koch’s previous novel, The Dinner, the writing in Summer House with Swimming Pool is very detailed, and of course deals with unspeakable actions. The main character, Marc, while certainly very unlikeable, is particularly well drawn and we get a very healthy glimpse into his sociopathic mind. As the story progresses, little by little we see just how unlikeable and unreliable he can be, right up the twist (and twisted!) ending. Full of mystery and suspense, this Summer House with Swimming Pool is a must read. However, if you were too disturbed by The Dinner, you may want to steer clear of this one.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from the publisher Crown Publishing through the Blogging for Books program. ( )
  sklee | Aug 3, 2015 |
I couldn't decide if I even wanted to finish this book but ultimately did, hence the 3 stars. Story line disturbing...rape of a teen. I did find that I really didn't like the characters nor did I care about them. And the ending...really? Not sure if I'll read another by the author, if I do, it will take a bit of time. ( )
  NHNick | Jul 14, 2015 |
So glad to have heard about this book on one of the book podcasts I listen to. I first read The Dinner by this author and was very impressed.

Now to turn to this book. I think I was expecting something like the Dinner, but it was different. I really enjoyed this narrator (even if he wasn't a particularly good person).

Very impressed and I would recommend this book and this author! ( )
  csweder | Jul 7, 2015 |
Koch, Herman
Summer House with Swimming Pool

Fiction
Those of you who found The Dinner disturbing should give wide berth to Koch's latest, Summer House with Swimming Pool. But for those of you who, like me, enjoy creepy characters who do terrible things to each other, take the plunge. Koch tells stories and creates characters that marry the best parts of Joyce Carol Oates and Patricia Highsmith. At times he even surpasses them both with his relentless determination to avoid happy endings.
Recommended October 2014
  dawsong | Jun 15, 2015 |
Failing the plausibility test is a black eye in commercial fiction. So is letting the pace become so slack that we don’t care who will eventually be revealed as the rapist. A good psychological thriller ought to end with a crisp, clean twist. This ending is mashed potatoes. Herman Koch does have a knack for generating narrative thrust, which “Summer House With Swimming Pool” manifests for its first two-thirds. Nevertheless, given how well his previous novel performed, this follow-up is inexplicably careless.
added by ozzer | editNew York Times, Lionel Shriver (Jul 11, 2014)

Herman Kochprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuby, ChristianeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am a doctor.

It all started the previous summer. Marc, his wife, and their two beautiful teenage daughters agreed to spend a week at the Meier's extravagant summer home on the Mediterranean. Joined by Ralph and his striking wife Judith, her mother, and film director Stanley Forbes and his much younger girlfriend, the large group settles in for days of sunshine, wine tasting, and trips to the beach. But when a violent incident disrupts the idyll, darker motivations are revealed, and suddenly no one can be trusted. As the ultimate holiday soon turns into a nightmare, the circumstances surrounding Ralph's later death begin to reveal the disturbing reality behind that summer's tragedy.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Summer House with Swimming Pool by Herman Koch was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,030,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible