One Dog and His Boy by Eva Ibbotson

One Dog and His Boy

by Eva Ibbotson

I am a huge Eva Ibbotson fan, and while this book did not disappoint, it wasn't my favorite. This is the last book she wrote before she passed away at the age of 85, so I am very happy she finished it. It is sweet and charming, and like all Eva Ibbotson books, the good characters are very, very good, and the bad characters are so terrible they are almost like cartoon caricatures. My dog lovers at school will love this one, as it is practically an ode to dogs. The dogs in the book are really the stars. They are loyal, funny, loving and heart wrenching. I adored every one of them.

I mentioned that this one isn't my favorite by this author, but I did enjoy it. I haven't read all of her books for children (she also writes books for adults that I love - although they are now marketing them for Young Adult instead of adult, and I - and the author - don't agree with that). My favorite of her children's books is definitely Journey to the River Sea , followed closely by Star of Kazan and The Secret of Platform 13 - and yes, that was written before Harry Potter came into existence. I love her writing and her heart and her proclivity for always having good overcome evil. Happy endings abound!

Areas of concern:
*Terrible parents are depicted. Obviously a parent who would rent a dog for their son's birthday and not tell him that the dog had to be returned are not good parents. They are, in fact, so ridiculous that it doesn't seem real, and at the end they try very hard to change.
*Runaway children on their own with a bunch of dogs.
*Technically the dogs have been stolen by the children.

http://read-me-maybe.blogspot.com ( )
  Bduke | Apr 1, 2016 |
Erin enjoyed this read-aloud. I found the British wording clunky when reading it to her. ( )
  lscully | Jul 22, 2015 |
How wonderful that a last Eva Ibbotson book was in the works before she died. She is a great loss to Children's Literature. This is a fun book about a poor little rich boy and his dog. A dog that was only a rental dog until the two met. Really lovely. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Grades 3-6: All Hal has ever wanted is a dog. His mother is far too concerned about keeping the family's huge house in pristine shape, and won't hear of it. Instead, Hal is loaded down with every gadget and expensive toy the most exclusive shops carry. Hal's father, though, absently promises his son a dog for his birthday. His parents think they have come up with the perfect solution with Easy Pets: Hal can have a dog for the weekend, and (since he will, of course, tire of the responsibility within those few days) the dog will be returned on Monday. But when Fleck is sent back as planned, Hal is devastated. He devises a plan to reclaim Fleck from the Easy Pets company and to make his way to his grandparents' house on the coast. And thus begins an adventure involving not only Hal and Fleck, but their new friend Pippa and four other dogs. Ibbotson's final novel is beautifully written and is a testament to friendships between people and their pets. It will make a great read-aloud and will be loved by kids who can't get enough dog stories. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
Good book for 3rd - 5th grade girls and boys. ( )
  dmiller70 | Jan 22, 2013 |

Eva Ibbotsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rentta, SharonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, SteveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All Hal had ever wanted was a dog.

But a dog would damage the expensive carpets in Hal's glamorous home, and his wealthy parents refuse to consider one. Then they discover Easy Pets, a convenient dog-rental agency. Terrier Fleck arrives on Hal's birthday, but when Hal discovers that his dog must be returned, he runs away. Hal and Fleck are joined by a group of pedigree breeds joyfully escaping from Easy Pets \- among them is Otto, the wise and sombre St Bernard, and the fierce and exctable Pekinese Li-Chee. A large reward is offered for the missing boy, and soon Hal and his dogs are being chased across the counry by ruthless pursuers. Helped by a travelling circus, and the sympathetic children from an orphanage, they race for their freedom in a classic adventure in the tradition of 101 DALMATIANS. Every dog-loving child will adore this irresistible story from a truly great and much-loved children's author.

When lonely, ten-year-old Hal learns that his wealthy but neglectful parents only rented Fleck, the dog he always wanted, he and new friend Pippa take Fleck and four other dogs from the rental agency on a trek from London to Scotland, where Hal's grandparents live.… (more)

13 wanted4 pay6 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible