One Dog and His Boy by Eva Ibbotson

One Dog and His Boy

by Eva Ibbotson

Recently added bytillylovesbooks, Boona, sharrya, kwalther, Armagita, private library, armaity.disawala, strongy

How wonderful that a last Eva Ibbotson book was in the works before she died. She is a great loss to Children's Literature. This is a fun book about a poor little rich boy and his dog. A dog that was only a rental dog until the two met. Really lovely. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Grades 3-6: All Hal has ever wanted is a dog. His mother is far too concerned about keeping the family's huge house in pristine shape, and won't hear of it. Instead, Hal is loaded down with every gadget and expensive toy the most exclusive shops carry. Hal's father, though, absently promises his son a dog for his birthday. His parents think they have come up with the perfect solution with Easy Pets: Hal can have a dog for the weekend, and (since he will, of course, tire of the responsibility within those few days) the dog will be returned on Monday. But when Fleck is sent back as planned, Hal is devastated. He devises a plan to reclaim Fleck from the Easy Pets company and to make his way to his grandparents' house on the coast. And thus begins an adventure involving not only Hal and Fleck, but their new friend Pippa and four other dogs. Ibbotson's final novel is beautifully written and is a testament to friendships between people and their pets. It will make a great read-aloud and will be loved by kids who can't get enough dog stories. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
Good book for 3rd - 5th grade girls and boys. ( )
  dmiller70 | Jan 22, 2013 |
All Hal Fenton ever wanted was a dog. His rich parents are never around, and in any event don’t like messes, or spontaneity, or companionship – all things he knew he could get from a dog:

"Hal didn’t mind what it looked like; it would be alive, and it would belong to him, and it would be there when his father was in Dubai and his mother was out with her friends and he was alone in the house with the maid who changed every month and was always so homesick and so sad.”

Before his tenth birthday he virtually bombarded his parents with pleas and notes, and finally his father said okay, but not to what Hal thought. His father was going to take Hal to the Easy Pets Dog Agency where you could rent a dog for the weekend. He figured Hal would get tired of the dog very quickly, and would hardly notice when they returned it.

But Hal and the little mutt Fleck felt immediate and mutual devotion, and Hal’s mother had to trick Hal to get Fleck back to the Agency. Hal, desperate, prepared to rescue Fleck and run away. At the Agency, he won the assistance of the little girl Pippa who was helping to take care of the dogs. She not only went with him, but she freed all of Fleck’s other dog friends in Room A. All of them headed out to Hal’s grandparents, who Hal knew would be accepting. Along the way they were chased by greedy adults who were after the large monetary reward publicized for Hal, but the two children also made a number of helpful and wonderful new friends. The dogs too found “soul mates” along the way. Thus, Hal and Pippa and all the dogs learned what it meant to feel as if you were “home,” and even Hal’s parents started to learn as well.

Evaluation: How can you not love a book about dogs that don’t die? ….Only in this case, it was the author who died, days before seeing the page proofs for this book. She left lots of adoring fans behind, including me. This book is meant for middle grade readers, but will endear readers of any age. ( )
  nbmars | Aug 19, 2012 |
Jake's Review: It was a cute story but kinda boring and sad at times. I liked all of the dogs and wish my mom would get us one (mom's note: you have a cat and we have a one pet limit dude) Hal's parents are jerks and make me think that my mom and dad aren't all that bad. There were some funny parts that I liked. I think it would be a good book for kids a little younger than me though, as I figured out things pretty quickly.
Jake's Rating: 7/10

Mom's Review: A delightfully sweet, yet somewhat old fashioned little story. I can see why some older kids might be put off by the style of story, but I agree with Jake that a younger reader would especially enjoy. Obviously dog loving kids are going to love this quirky adventure story. This would be a good tale for a classroom read and discussion and I will be passing on my copy to Jake's school. There are good messages throughout the story such as money not being able to buy everything, the importance of friendship and that dogs are a truly awesome creatures. I also enjoyed some of the secondary characters laced throughout this charming tale, I found the parents to be almost cartoonish and not enough character development was put into them, but that is my only real complaint.
Mom's Rating: 8/10

We received this from Scholastic in exchange for an honest review
  mountie9 | Apr 20, 2012 |

Eva Ibbotsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rentta, SharonIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, SteveNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All Hal had ever wanted was a dog.

But a dog would damage the expensive carpets in Hal's glamorous home, and his wealthy parents refuse to consider one. Then they discover Easy Pets, a convenient dog-rental agency. Terrier Fleck arrives on Hal's birthday, but when Hal discovers that his dog must be returned, he runs away. Hal and Fleck are joined by a group of pedigree breeds joyfully escaping from Easy Pets - among them is Otto, the wise and sombre St Bernard, and the fierce and exctable Pekinese Li-Chee. A large reward is offered for the missing boy, and soon Hal and his dogs are being chased across the counry by ruthless pursuers. Helped by a travelling circus, and the sympathetic children from an orphanage, they race for their freedom in a classic adventure in the tradition of 101 DALMATIANS. Every dog-loving child will adore this irresistible story from a truly great and much-loved children's author.

When lonely, ten-year-old Hal learns that his wealthy but neglectful parents only rented Fleck, the dog he always wanted, he and new friend Pippa take Fleck and four other dogs from the rental agency on a trek from London to Scotland, where Hal's grandparents live.… (more)

19 wanted3 pay5 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,920,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible