Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Anya's Ghost (2011)

by Vera Brosgol

Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Smile by Raina Telgemeier (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (ahstrick)

English (94)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (96)

Originally posted here

The story was definitely darker than I expected and I loved the art style as the illustrations were black and white which suited the tone of the book perfectly. Anya's struggles are fairly typical of a teenager and there is nothing particularly heartwarming or special about it. Anya is superficial, at times lazy, is embarrassed by her Russian heritage and thinks she is too fat - I wouldn't say she is really all that interesting.

Anya's ghost Emily was the most intriguing character for me; the mystery surrounding her life and death kept me turning pages. Emily's personality just lifted the whole book and the ending was only good because of her.

Overall I liked Anya's Ghost, the story was quick even if I didn't feel particularly moved by the plot; high school is a depressing time for many and this book does a great job of illustrating that. I think I would pick up more of Vera Brosgol's graphic novels in future as I loved her art style. ( )
  4everfanatical | May 22, 2016 |
Cute story! A nice twist to add a little darkness to a typical high school story. ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
Anya, a high school girl, feels unpopular, unattractive and falls for the most popular guy in school. One day, she falls down a well and meets a ghost. Somehow, the ghost comes home with her and they become friends. The ghost helps her with school and making new friends, until the ghost starts to act strangely. Anya researches and realizes the ghost is not as innocent as she thought and must stop her before she does something awful. I would suggest this for 8th grade and up because I think a student would understand more at that age. There is a valuable lesson to be learned, especially for a high schooler. ( )
  murandapatanda | Mar 13, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this graphic novel! It's about a girl who feels out of place and feels that she doesn't have many friends. She falls into a well and meets a ghost. This ghost is helpful at first. Anya eventually finds out that the ghost's story isn't true and isn't looking out for Anya's best interests. Through a series of events, Anya discovers who is and isn't important to her.
  LVeum | Mar 13, 2016 |
It's recommended by Neil Gaiman & Scott McCloud. Need I say more? ( )
  leoht13 | Feb 25, 2016 |
Krak / Sizzle Sizzle / What's for breakfast? cыpники.
You may look normal like everyone else, but you're not. Not on the inside.

A young girl embarrassed by her hertiage makes an unusual friend that challenges her to decide what is right and what is wrong.

Anya, embarrassed by her Russian immigrant family and self-conscious about her body, has given up on fitting in at school but falling down a well and making friends with the ghost there just may be worse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,909,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible