Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Anya's Ghost (2011)

by Vera Brosgol

Recently added byMoonica, JenHopkins, private library, abby.h, allyofthedawn, davidgn, Taylor_Martinez
    Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Smile by Raina Telgemeier (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (ahstrick)

English (74)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (76)
Great writing, sharp and funny with a cool twist half-way through. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
The really, really short review: I started this book last night. I was happy to get up this morning because I knew I'd get to finish it over breakfast.

The still reasonably short review:

I'm not feeling very eloquent today, so I thought I'd post a transcript of how I sounded as I read Anya's Ghost:

"Oh, shoot – this is due back at the library soon. Better read it..."

"...wait, what does that say? Oh. That's the Cyrillic alphabet. This girl's mom is very old-country Russian. Cute. But now I want to know what that food is, and I can't even sound it out..."

"I'm liking this. I – whoa, okay, that was kind of scary. Ooh – I'll bet she wishes she'd hung on to that 'fattening' food now..."

"Oh, that is such a guy thing to say. What a maroon. Oh, well – at least he helped her."

"Whoa! Wasn't expecting that! This is getting really good."

"That was pretty funny."

"That was really sweet!"

"Okay, this is getting kind of spooky..."

"Aw! What a great ending!"

"Crap. I wish this book had been longer."

Conclusion: Read this book. Srsly.
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
I think that the illustrations are absolutely beautiful! Vera Brosgol is a fantastic artist!

I love how the story is all about feeling alone but also deals with immigration and family. It really is the story of a misfit girl in high school who is trying to deal with family and cultural issues.

The story all begins when Anya's walking home from school and falls into a well. When she is down there she meets a ghost. The ghost, Emily, tells Anya that she was murdered almost 100 years ago. Anya befriends the ghosts and then says that she will help figure out her past. From then on things start to go downhill. Now Anya not only has to deal with friends, crushes, and school she also has to deal with a ghost!

[The reason why I gave this graphic novel a 4 is the ending. I felt like there should have been more done with Dima's and Elizabeth's story. I just felt like the story had been cut off before they got a proper ending. ]

Overall, I think this was a great graphic novel with some beautiful art. I would definitely recommend this for anyone interesting in graphic novels! ( )
  baileymm | Aug 5, 2015 |
A refreshing read after all the other fiction books I've read. I love the idea of a ghost counterpart to the protagonist. It's both interesting and spooky. And Brosgol's art style is so so lovely! It's a shame how you can finish a graphic novel in such a short time... ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2015/06/16/graphic-novel-review-anyas-ghost-by-ve...

Anya’s Ghost is a wonderful young adult graphic novel that both entertains and contains some important life lessons. There’s also some wonderful humor were it pokes fun at some stereotypical YA story lines.

Anya, like so many people, feels like she just doesn’t fit in. She has one close friend at her private school, and there’s some fun angsty type humor between the two of them. Anya is very self conscious. She’s embarrassed by her family, her name, her Russian heritage. She’s just not happy and honestly, that makes her like most kids out there. And then, just to make things worse for her, she falls down a well and is stuck there for two days. This could be horrific for any one, but turns out she was not completely alone down that well. She picks up a new companion, the ghost of a girl that died down that very well a long time ago. When she is rescued, the ghost comes with her.

Anya quickly learns both the advantages and disadvantages of having a ghostly companion. They work together to figure out how to make their situation work and Anya starts delving into the mystery of her ghost’s death. It is sweet and funny. But the what makes me enjoy this book the most is the how it shows that she is unhappy because she’s placing importance on the wrong things. Definitely recommend for anyone looking for a quick and entertaining YA graphic novel that speaks a bit about what is important for real happiness. ( )
  tenaciousreader | Jun 24, 2015 |
Krak / Sizzle Sizzle / What's for breakfast? cыpники.
You may look normal like everyone else, but you're not. Not on the inside.

Anya, embarrassed by her Russian immigrant family and self-conscious about her body, has given up on fitting in at school but falling down a well and making friends with the ghost there just may be worse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,784,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible