Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Anya's Ghost (2011)

by Vera Brosgol

Recently added byjevins, Catelam, private library, Lunet, trc2017, bigpicture, navelos
    Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Smile by Raina Telgemeier (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (ahstrick)

English (100)  French (1)  German (1)  All (102)
Book Review: This is a graphic novel about a girl named Anya, she just immigrated to USA from Russia with her mom and her little brother. She is not popular at her school and doesn't have many friends in school so she always feels lonely and diffident. One day, she accidentally fell inside a well and where she meets a ghost called Emily. Emily came out the well with Anya, at first, Anya felt afraid of Emily and didn't like Emily's company. Later on, she found Emily can help her cheat in exams, know someone else secrets, then she decided to become friend with Emily. After they becoming friends, Emily start to control of Anya's life. What's worse, Anya later finds out that Emily had been lying about how she died all along. At last, Anya decides that send Emily to go back the well and goes back her normal life.
Genre: Fantasy Because there is a ghost in the story, it would never happen in our real life, but the major character's life is very real. For an immigrate kid, she may have same problem with Anya's.
Age app: Middle school
Media: digital painting ( )
  carolinechen0608 | Apr 3, 2017 |
Absolutely stunning. I stayed up all night because I couldn't go to bed before finishing this book. I love Anya; she's not your typical female YA protagonist. She's grumpy and clever and Russian and sneaks smokes on school ground - and is being haunted by a dead girl with some not-so-lovely intentions. What a great graphic novel that manages to touch on some in-depth issues such as friendship, immigration, family, death, and romance with a great fresh art style. Not gonna lie, the end had me tearing up. Bravo, Vera Brosgol. Another, please? ( )
  SarahHayes | Feb 20, 2017 |
- loved the illustrations
- exciting story, easy to get into
- protagonist/author Russian-American
- end felt a little too didactic
  csoki637 | Nov 27, 2016 |
This book is about a girl who has just moved to the United States from Russia and is embarrassed about it. Then she finds a ghost who becomes her friend. This book would be for fourth to sixth grade. I would use it to show that you need to be proud of your culture, because that is what makes you who you are today. ( )
  DinahW | Nov 8, 2016 |
Have you ever wonder how it feels like to have a ghost as your friend? cool, huh? To help you cheat in exams, to know someone else secrets, to share your sorrows and desires. Then your every problem will be solved. Super cool!! I'm really excited to have a ghost friend. You too, right?. But what if this friend becomes our biggest problem? Well, that is the story of "Anya's Ghost"..

Anya's Ghost is a graphic novel in which Anya is a Russian emigre living in the United States with her mother and brother, she is kind of a loner. One day Anya accidentally fell inside a well and where she meets a ghost called Emily. First Anya didn't like Emily's company but when she finds out how helpful it is to have a ghost on your side, she begins to like it. But she soon realizes that might not be the best decision.

Anya’s Ghost was definitely a fun read and it's simple illustration was awesome. The story line was good and it gives a good message about true self.

And thanks to Archit Ojha for recommending this book. ( )
  Ashique_Majeed | Sep 1, 2016 |

Krak / Sizzle Sizzle / What's for breakfast? cыpники.
You may look normal like everyone else, but you're not. Not on the inside.

A young girl embarrassed by her hertiage makes an unusual friend that challenges her to decide what is right and what is wrong.

Anya, embarrassed by her Russian immigrant family and self-conscious about her body, has given up on fitting in at school but falling down a well and making friends with the ghost there just may be worse.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,886,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible