Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Anya's Ghost (2011)

by Vera Brosgol

961999,010 (3.87)47
    Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Smile by Raina Telgemeier (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (ahstrick)

English (97)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (99)
Have you ever wonder how it feels like to have a ghost as your friend? cool, huh? To help you cheat in exams, to know someone else secrets, to share your sorrows and desires. Then your every problem will be solved. Super cool!! I'm really excited to have a ghost friend. You too, right?. But what if this friend becomes our biggest problem? Well, that is the story of "Anya's Ghost"..

Anya's Ghost is a graphic novel in which Anya is a Russian emigre living in the United States with her mother and brother, she is kind of a loner. One day Anya accidentally fell inside a well and where she meets a ghost called Emily. First Anya didn't like Emily's company but when she finds out how helpful it is to have a ghost on your side, she begins to like it. But she soon realizes that might not be the best decision.

Anya’s Ghost was definitely a fun read and it's simple illustration was awesome. The story line was good and it gives a good message about true self.

And thanks to Archit Ojha for recommending this book. ( )
  Ashique_Majeed | Sep 1, 2016 |
This book is about a young russian girl who isn't popular at her school and doesn't have many other friends besides a ghost named Emily and one friend from school named Siobhan. Emily appeared to Anya when she fell into a well where her skeleton remained. From there on Emily became controlling of Anya who later finds out that she had been lying about how she died all along. In the end after torturing Anya, Emily returns to the well which is later filled by the school. Anya is then finally able to gain back her friend and control of her life. This book could be used to teach the kids about making good friends and staying true to who they are. You should never change something about yourself just to be notices as popular.
  britcrow | Aug 11, 2016 |
Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol   I wasn't really sure what I was getting into when I picked this one up, but it was a lot of fun! I had found it while searching for a comic for the Read Harder Challenge and it doesn't even fit the category that I was trying to fit it into, but it was worth the read anyway!

There's just so much here. It's a perfect stand-alone story about some pretty standard YA or girl issues (boys go through it too but my point is that I hope we've all learned better by college). I liked the issues that it dealt with and the way it dealt with them and our antagonist was a lot fun.  ( )
  Calavari | Jun 7, 2016 |

Originally posted here

The story was definitely darker than I expected and I loved the art style as the illustrations were black and white which suited the tone of the book perfectly. Anya's struggles are fairly typical of a teenager and there is nothing particularly heartwarming or special about it. Anya is superficial, at times lazy, is embarrassed by her Russian heritage and thinks she is too fat - I wouldn't say she is really all that interesting.

Anya's ghost Emily was the most intriguing character for me; the mystery surrounding her life and death kept me turning pages. Emily's personality just lifted the whole book and the ending was only good because of her.

Overall I liked Anya's Ghost, the story was quick even if I didn't feel particularly moved by the plot; high school is a depressing time for many and this book does a great job of illustrating that. I think I would pick up more of Vera Brosgol's graphic novels in future as I loved her art style. ( )
  4everfanatical | May 22, 2016 |
Cute story! A nice twist to add a little darkness to a typical high school story. ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
Krak / Sizzle Sizzle / What's for breakfast? cыpники.
You may look normal like everyone else, but you're not. Not on the inside.

A young girl embarrassed by her hertiage makes an unusual friend that challenges her to decide what is right and what is wrong.

Anya, embarrassed by her Russian immigrant family and self-conscious about her body, has given up on fitting in at school but falling down a well and making friends with the ghost there just may be worse.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,130,747 books! | Top bar: Always visible