Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Anya's Ghost (2011)

by Vera Brosgol

Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Smile by Raina Telgemeier (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (ahstrick)

English (105)  French (1)  German (1)  All (107)
Anya's Ghost was an absolute amazing and fantastic graphic novel that I thoroughly loved and enjoyed. I've been wanting to read some spooky reads for the fall especially in October for Halloween, which I absolutely love reading spooky or horror books the month of October. So I decided to check out Anya's Ghost because I heard amazing reviews about it and a lot of my book friends highly recommend this graphic novel to me. And OMGosh I am so glad and happy I check this book out from the library, because it is one of my absolute favorite graphic novel ever. I just love and adore everything about it. I really don't want to go into any details about it, but the plotline was unique and very refreshing and somewhat dark that I couldn't get enough of it. The characters was well developed and rounded plus there was diversity in the characters, which I so love and enjoy reading diversity in characters. And the writing style was flawless and very expressive that I just felt all the feelings that each characters were feeling especially everything that Anya was feeling in this amazing graphic novel. And the graphic art was really beautiful and dark I just love seeing the purple graphics, which I thought that it was really well done in this graphic novel. All and all I absolutely love and enjoy Anya's Ghost that I will most definitely will continue reading more graphic novels by Vera Brosgol in the near future because I know I absolutely and totally will love her graphic novels. ( )
  KatiriaR | Oct 13, 2017 |
This is a short graphic novel about Anya, a Russian girl who moved to the United States when she was just a young girl.
Anya is a frustrated, angsty teen who is embarrassed of her Russian mom, stressed about her weight and popularity in school.
Things start to change when she falls into a pit where she finds the ghost named Emily.

This book reminded me a lot of American Born Chinese by Gene Yuen Yang. It had similar themes of being proud of your culture, being yourself and not worrying about what others perceive to be cool, and they both had a little magic/fantasy type component.

It wasn't my favorite graphic novel, but I definitely liked it.
I would recommend this to teenagers. It had smoking in it, a few curse words, and some stupid horny teenage boys.
It was just enough to feel like realistic high school life, but mild enough that I wouldn't feel weird recommending it. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
Perhaps too creepy, but interesting. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
What do you do when a ghost won't leave you alone - and it turns dangerous? A tale of finding courage to stand up for oneself and others.

GN300L ( )
  JoanAxthelm | Aug 4, 2017 |
When the ghost started turning evil, it got chilling. Kind of like Chuckie. But I didn't really understand how Anya's speech induced the crossover. Whatever works though. I'm glad that creepy ghost is busted. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
Krak / Sizzle Sizzle / What's for breakfast? cыpники.
You may look normal like everyone else, but you're not. Not on the inside.

A young girl embarrassed by her hertiage makes an unusual friend that challenges her to decide what is right and what is wrong.

Anya, embarrassed by her Russian immigrant family and self-conscious about her body, has given up on fitting in at school but falling down a well and making friends with the ghost there just may be worse.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,601,269 books! | Top bar: Always visible