Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Anya's Ghost (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Vera Brosgol, Vera Brosgol (Illustrator)

Member:IvanaG.
Title:Anya's Ghost
Authors:Vera Brosgol
Other authors:Vera Brosgol (Illustrator)
Info:First Second (2011), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (2011)

Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Smile by Raina Telgemeier (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (ahstrick)

English (99)  French (1)  German (1)  English (101)
- loved the illustrations
- exciting story, easy to get into
- protagonist/author Russian-American
- end felt a little too didactic
  csoki637 | Nov 27, 2016 |
This book is about a girl who has just moved to the United States from Russia and is embarrassed about it. Then she finds a ghost who becomes her friend. This book would be for fourth to sixth grade. I would use it to show that you need to be proud of your culture, because that is what makes you who you are today. ( )
  DinahW | Nov 8, 2016 |
Have you ever wonder how it feels like to have a ghost as your friend? cool, huh? To help you cheat in exams, to know someone else secrets, to share your sorrows and desires. Then your every problem will be solved. Super cool!! I'm really excited to have a ghost friend. You too, right?. But what if this friend becomes our biggest problem? Well, that is the story of "Anya's Ghost"..

Anya's Ghost is a graphic novel in which Anya is a Russian emigre living in the United States with her mother and brother, she is kind of a loner. One day Anya accidentally fell inside a well and where she meets a ghost called Emily. First Anya didn't like Emily's company but when she finds out how helpful it is to have a ghost on your side, she begins to like it. But she soon realizes that might not be the best decision.

Anya’s Ghost was definitely a fun read and it's simple illustration was awesome. The story line was good and it gives a good message about true self.

And thanks to Archit Ojha for recommending this book. ( )
  Ashique_Majeed | Sep 1, 2016 |
This book is about a young russian girl who isn't popular at her school and doesn't have many other friends besides a ghost named Emily and one friend from school named Siobhan. Emily appeared to Anya when she fell into a well where her skeleton remained. From there on Emily became controlling of Anya who later finds out that she had been lying about how she died all along. In the end after torturing Anya, Emily returns to the well which is later filled by the school. Anya is then finally able to gain back her friend and control of her life. This book could be used to teach the kids about making good friends and staying true to who they are. You should never change something about yourself just to be notices as popular.
  britcrow | Aug 11, 2016 |
Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol   I wasn't really sure what I was getting into when I picked this one up, but it was a lot of fun! I had found it while searching for a comic for the Read Harder Challenge and it doesn't even fit the category that I was trying to fit it into, but it was worth the read anyway!

There's just so much here. It's a perfect stand-alone story about some pretty standard YA or girl issues (boys go through it too but my point is that I hope we've all learned better by college). I liked the issues that it dealt with and the way it dealt with them and our antagonist was a lot fun.  ( )
  Calavari | Jun 7, 2016 |
Krak / Sizzle Sizzle / What's for breakfast? cыpники.
You may look normal like everyone else, but you're not. Not on the inside.

A young girl embarrassed by her hertiage makes an unusual friend that challenges her to decide what is right and what is wrong.

Anya, embarrassed by her Russian immigrant family and self-conscious about her body, has given up on fitting in at school but falling down a well and making friends with the ghost there just may be worse.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,728,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible