Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Anya's Ghost (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Vera Brosgol, Vera Brosgol (Illustrator)

Member:IvanaG.
Title:Anya's Ghost
Authors:Vera Brosgol
Other authors:Vera Brosgol (Illustrator)
Info:First Second (2011), Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol (2011)

Recently added byvetters, mirikayla, linnea_simon, thukpa, private library, mhaar, maysaaa, scott_beeler
    Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks (kaledrina)
    Smile by Raina Telgemeier (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: School-based coming of age stories, with very different contexts but similar message and art style.
    I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (ahstrick)

English (89)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (91)
Wow, that's not what I was expecting. Interesting, though, and well done. Anya is very realistic as a bratty teenager.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
I have not read a lot of graphic novels, but I know I should become more familiar with them because so many kids love them. I thought this was a wonderful book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is funny, scary, and insightful.

Curricular connections: I would recommend this for older students (young adult/teens) who are interested in the immigrant experience. Also great for anyone who ever has a hard time fitting in. ( )
  linnea_simon | Feb 7, 2016 |
Interesting graphic novel. The illustrations were wonderful and added to the story. I was shocked at the surprise twist in the story as well. It was a great read. I liked the international influences that the author included. Seeing the perspective of young adults born in other countries coming to America and trying to fit in with both of their cultures is encouraging as well as educational. Anya and her family are from Russia but came to the US for a better life. One day while Anya is on her way to school she falls down an abandoned well in a park and discovers the bones of a girl who's ghost has been there for 90 years. Anya is a typical rebellious teen worried about friends, boyfriends and her appearance. This is a fast enjoyable read and I think teen girls will enjoy it as well. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Strange tale of a girl who falls down a well and discovers a ghost at the bottom. This spirit begins following Anya, and helping her out with school, and boys, and clothes. Soon, though, the ghost's behavior becomes erratic, and Anya begins to question her motives. A really complex tale of life as an immigrant, and of knowing who your true friends are in high school. The ghost serves as a kind of metaphor for the turmoil of adolescence, that inner voice that tells you to be more popular, more fun, more rebellious. ( )
  AmeliaHerring | Jan 22, 2016 |
This was an excellent read! I was drawn into the art style of Brosgol because it felt like an extension of the story that she was telling here. It wasn't whimsical but serious which fit the attitude of the main character Anya. The story is one that goes on many twists and turns which is what a great graphic novel or story does. It makes you feel things and makes you change those feelings throughout it. This story definitely does that several different times. You will feel one emotion on one page and then immediately feel another on the next. I can tell you that I felt sadness, madness, compassion, fear, and several other emotions while reading this. It dragged me into Anya's world and made me want to stay. I wish there was more to this story and maybe one day there will be but for now I will simply enjoy what Brosgol created here. A masterful telling of how one should learn to love themselves and why you shouldn't take the easy way around things in life all the time. I would definitely recommend this to anyone that loves graphic novels and wants to read one with a strong message that is not preachy but very enjoyable. ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Krak / Sizzle Sizzle / What's for breakfast? cыpники.
You may look normal like everyone else, but you're not. Not on the inside.

A young girl embarrassed by her hertiage makes an unusual friend that challenges her to decide what is right and what is wrong.

Anya, embarrassed by her Russian immigrant family and self-conscious about her body, has given up on fitting in at school but falling down a well and making friends with the ghost there just may be worse.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,193,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible