Feynman by Jim Ottaviani

Feynman (2011)

by Jim Ottaviani

Other authors: Leland Myrick (Illustrator)

English (25)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (27)
I have not read through this graphic novel yet as it's rather long. First impressions, this book initially captured me because its colorful and when I opened it I wasn't expecting to find a graphic novel. Based on the length and content I would suggest this book for older children, primarily teenagers. This could be a good book to supplement a high school physics class. ( )
  amcarter | Feb 17, 2014 |
An enjoyable (if occasionally slightly disjointed) graphic-novel look at the life and career of the great 20th-century physicist Richard Feynman, It told me a lot more than I already knew about Feynman and made me want to read the man's own books, which, I think, was a large part of the intention. If you'd like to get to grips with Feynman and his work, this seems like a fine place to start. ( )
  timjones | Jan 5, 2014 |
Anyone who knows anything about anything knows I'm a know-nothing when it comes to math and physics. This is probably the fault of the Arizona public school system. Despite this lack of knowledge I quite liked this graphic novel bio. With great illustrations and not too math heavy it reminded me a lot of Logicomix though I don't feel it was anywhere near as ambitious.

Hopefully these types of graphic novels keep getting released so there's a better chance of me becoming a know-something. ( )
  dtn620 | Sep 22, 2013 |
Actually makes some of the anecdote stuff clearer, which is okay. The problem is the illustrations seriously suck. ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
I've heard stories about Richard Feynman from my parents (dad has a PhD in theoretical astrophysics), and I have a vague memory of seeing the Challenger comission bit with him and the O Ring (though I'm not sure if it was from actually seeing it or just seeing it in an X-Files episode). This graphic biography (graphic as in graphic novel format, not graphic as in exceptionally violent or obscene nudity) is probably perfect for the subject. I don't have a background in physics, and while I have some independent knowledge of the work done at Los Alamos (and have heard of most of *those* names), most of what I think about is the YA novels The Green Glass Sea and White Sands Red Menace, with a teen character growing up on the base. This book actually makes me want to seek out Feynman's books and try to work out the math. And that's *rare*. I think we're going to see this on at least one nominations list. ( )
  kcarrigan | Aug 26, 2013 |

Jim Ottavianiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Myrick, LelandIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tomasini, Clarasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thanks to Carl Feynman, Michelle Feynman, and Ralph Leighton for their generosity over the years. And if the laws of physics allowed, I'd go back to thank whoever it was that first showed me "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" then I would read it again, for the first time. -J.O.

For Maria. -L.M.
So you see ... nature has always looked like a horrible mess ... but as we go along, we discover patterns and come up with theories.

"In this substantial graphic novel biography, First Second presents the larger-than-life exploits of Nobel-winning quantum physicist, adventurer, musician, world-class raconteur, and one of the greatest minds of the twentieth century: Richard Feynman. Written by nonfiction comics mainstay Jim Ottaviani and brilliantly illustrated by First Second author Leland Myrick, Feynman tells the story of the great man's life from his childhood in Long Island to his work on the Manhattan Project and the Challenger disaster. Ottaviani tackles the bad with the good, leaving the reader delighted by Feynman's exuberant life and staggered at the loss humanity suffered with his death" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible