Feynman by Jim Ottaviani

Feynman (2011)

by Jim Ottaviani, Leland Myrick (Illustrator), Hilary Sycamore (Illustrator), Marion Vitus (Designer and Illustrator)

English (30)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (32)
A graphic novel biography of the quirky, brilliant, much-beloved physicist Richard Feynman. Although I'm not sure "biography" is quite the right word, as the text consists, as far as I can tell, entirely of snippets of Feynman's own words, talking about his life and his work and delivering general-audience lectures on science. They're good words, and the illustrations are fairly charming, but, structurally, it doesn't all hang together in a particularly coherent fashion. I did enjoy reading it; as a little dip back into the world of Feynman, it made me smile. But I think that, unless you're really, really into the graphic novel format, you're better off going to the source material, especially Feynman's two collections of thoughts and anecdotes, Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! and What Do You Care What Other People Think?, neither of which I can recommend highly enough. ( )
  bragan | Nov 28, 2015 |
This graphic novel about physicist Richard Feynman is beautiful and bittersweet. It's easy to read, but you'll probably learn a few things as well. It's obviously a labor of love. You get a sense of Feynman's life that is distilled down to some of his essential stories.

I have a special place in my heart for Feynman because my Dad (a physics professor) did too. And if you read this book, you might be tempted to jump into other Feynman books as well. I'd recommend "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" as your next Feynman book. You never know--it might lead all the way to his book QED about Quantum electrodynamics, which is more readable than you'd expect.

If more people could teach and explain like Feynman did, the world would be a better place. ( )
1 vote mattcutts | Oct 8, 2015 |
I think comic books about the more esoteric sorts of science and math are generally doomed to fail. The usefullness of this book is to convey a sort of chronology of Feynman's life and the people he was interacting with during various periods. This comic book is pretty monotonous. It tries to distinguish between the anecdotes and the actual science using different color schemes, but they do not have enough impact. Perhaps the authors would have done better to use much larger frames for the science...science and math are usually less story-like than are the anecdotes of most people's lives. ( )
  themulhern | May 10, 2015 |
Snippets of Richard Feynman's life which reveal his character, intelligence and his work in physics. I found the sections about the Manhattan Project and his attitude to it especially interesting. ( )
  questbird | Feb 6, 2015 |
I always love reading biographies of people who are really in love with something I find mind-bogglingly difficult to understand, so this was great. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Sep 22, 2014 |

Jim Ottavianiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Myrick, LelandIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sycamore, HilaryIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Vitus, MarionDesigner and Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Tomasini, Clarasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thanks to Carl Feynman, Michelle Feynman, and Ralph Leighton for their generosity over the years. And if the laws of physics allowed, I'd go back to thank whoever it was that first showed me "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" then I would read it again, for the first time. -J.O.

For Maria. -L.M.
So you see ... nature has always looked like a horrible mess ... but as we go along, we discover patterns and come up with theories.

"In this substantial graphic novel biography, First Second presents the larger-than-life exploits of Nobel-winning quantum physicist, adventurer, musician, world-class raconteur, and one of the greatest minds of the twentieth century: Richard Feynman. Written by nonfiction comics mainstay Jim Ottaviani and brilliantly illustrated by First Second author Leland Myrick, Feynman tells the story of the great man's life from his childhood in Long Island to his work on the Manhattan Project and the Challenger disaster. Ottaviani tackles the bad with the good, leaving the reader delighted by Feynman's exuberant life and staggered at the loss humanity suffered with his death" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible