Feynman by Jim Ottaviani

Feynman (2011)

by Jim Ottaviani, Leland Myrick (Illustrator), Hilary Sycamore (Illustrator), Marion Vitus (Designer and Illustrator)

English (28)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (30)
I think comic books about the more esoteric sorts of science and math are generally doomed to fail. The usefullness of this book is to convey a sort of chronology of Feynman's life and the people he was interacting with during various periods. This comic book is pretty monotonous. It tries to distinguish between the anecdotes and the actual science using different color schemes, but they do not have enough impact. Perhaps the authors would have done better to use much larger frames for the science...science and math are usually less story-like than are the anecdotes of most people's lives. ( )
  themulhern | May 10, 2015 |
Snippets of Richard Feynman's life which reveal his character, intelligence and his work in physics. I found the sections about the Manhattan Project and his attitude to it especially interesting. ( )
  questbird | Feb 6, 2015 |
I always love reading biographies of people who are really in love with something I find mind-bogglingly difficult to understand, so this was great. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Sep 22, 2014 |
I have not read through this graphic novel yet as it's rather long. First impressions, this book initially captured me because its colorful and when I opened it I wasn't expecting to find a graphic novel. Based on the length and content I would suggest this book for older children, primarily teenagers. This could be a good book to supplement a high school physics class. ( )
  amcarter | Feb 17, 2014 |
An enjoyable (if occasionally slightly disjointed) graphic-novel look at the life and career of the great 20th-century physicist Richard Feynman, It told me a lot more than I already knew about Feynman and made me want to read the man's own books, which, I think, was a large part of the intention. If you'd like to get to grips with Feynman and his work, this seems like a fine place to start. ( )
  timjones | Jan 5, 2014 |

Jim Ottavianiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Myrick, LelandIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sycamore, HilaryIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Vitus, MarionDesigner and Illustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Tomasini, Clarasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thanks to Carl Feynman, Michelle Feynman, and Ralph Leighton for their generosity over the years. And if the laws of physics allowed, I'd go back to thank whoever it was that first showed me "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" then I would read it again, for the first time. -J.O.

For Maria. -L.M.
So you see ... nature has always looked like a horrible mess ... but as we go along, we discover patterns and come up with theories.

"In this substantial graphic novel biography, First Second presents the larger-than-life exploits of Nobel-winning quantum physicist, adventurer, musician, world-class raconteur, and one of the greatest minds of the twentieth century: Richard Feynman. Written by nonfiction comics mainstay Jim Ottaviani and brilliantly illustrated by First Second author Leland Myrick, Feynman tells the story of the great man's life from his childhood in Long Island to his work on the Manhattan Project and the Challenger disaster. Ottaviani tackles the bad with the good, leaving the reader delighted by Feynman's exuberant life and staggered at the loss humanity suffered with his death" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,921,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible