Little Women and Me by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

Little Women and Me

by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

A beloved classic retold with a uniquely captivating twist!

Little Women and Me by Laura Baratz-Logstead is a refreshing and creative story. The author captured and portrayed , the angst of being a middle sister and the challenges of growing up. The storyline of Emily transporting back to the 1860's and living life with the March family is a unique and fascinating twist to a well known classic!

So yes, I have to share that I really enjoyed reading this book! I also was relieved and grateful that this lovely classic was not morphed into a darker version of the original, which is so prevalent in today's re-telling of classics.

Little Women and Me is a must read for fans of Louisa May Alcott's timeless classic, Little Women! ( )
  mrsrenee | Jul 24, 2015 |
If you're not familiar with the basic plot points of Little Women and you want to avoid spoilers, you shouldn't read this book. However, if you've read the book, or at least seen the movie, there are probably a couple of things you'd like to change, just like Emily March in Little Women and Me. Emily is a middle child, with an older sister, Charlotte, and a younger sister, Anne. (Ring any bells?) An English assignment has her thinking about a book that she would change in some way. As she's thinking about Little Women, she suddenly finds herself surrounded by Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy, and Marmee in the 1860s. How did she get here? And what does she need to do to find her way home?

This lighthearted story does have a moral or two for young readers, but it's not heavy-handed in its delivery. I'm sure a lot of us have imagined ourselves inside the world of a favorite book. It's fun to read this extended imagining and to view a classic of children's/YA literature in a new way. While there isn't any foul language in the book, there are occasional innuendos that some parents of tweens might find inappropriate, depending on their child's maturity level. If the book was a movie, I'd rate it PG. Readers who enjoy this book's premise might want to try Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series beginning with The Eyre Affair. ( )
  cbl_tn | Jun 21, 2013 |
It took me a little while to get into this book, but I did find it enjoyable in the end. Emily receives an assignment at school: choose a favorite book and select one thing that you would change about it. She decides to change Little Women, but can't quite decide whether she'd stop Beth from dying or if she'd make it so Jo ends up with Laurie rather than Amy. Apparently, this indecision results in her being transported back to join the lives of the March girls, as the new, middle March. I enjoyed how she was clueless about the background information -- if it didn't specifically happen in the book, she knew nothing of it. So when time advanced (three years in one example) she was completely caught off guard and had to ask Beth what important things had happened during that time. It was fun reconnecting with the March sisters, and also fun reading her reactions to some of the outdated amusements they occupied themselves with. Sadly, Beth does still have to die, but Emily manages to engineer it so Jo ends up with Laurie, and when Emily returns to her modern life she learns that the change stuck. Girls who liked Little Women might enjoy this. ( )
  ChristianR | Jan 19, 2012 |
Cute premise and set up, but I didn't love it. The idea of being inserted into your favorite work of fiction sounds fun though and Emily's adjustment to 1862 was well done. ( )
  ethel55 | Dec 1, 2011 |

Pick a favorite book. Then write a paper about your three favorite parts, and one thing you would change.
So goes Emily March's English assignment. And after a hard day of drama with boys, she is more than happy to work on it. When she picks up Little Women and realizes how much she'd want to change, she doesn't expect to be swept into the story - or to become one of the March sisters, either! But that is exactly what happens. Emily's life - and the story of Little Women, is about to change drastically.
___________________________________________

My thoughts -
Some things I liked. Some things I did not. I tried terribly hard to enjoy the book with effortless ease, not prying into random details and picking at the story too much. Btu I just couldn't do it. There were quite a few things that just would not stop bugging me, and I feel compelled, as an honest reviewer, to share them with you. Yes, the story was cute; yes, I laughed, smiled, and even got caught up in emotion (although, only toward the end); yes, I was once more inspired by the characters, mostly Beth and Jo. But there are issues to be addressed.

Character notes -
The characters in Little Women have always made me fall in love with them every time I watch the movie or read the book. And while she didn't do it exactly, Lauren Baratz-Logsted did do a good job portraying the characters well, the sisters especially. Marmee, not so much. And Laurie was adorable, but, of course, I'm biased to the Christian Bale version. (Mr. Bale, you have defeated everyone's chances of being as good as the original - even you!) Aunt March cracked me up, as did her parrot.

What about Emily March? Well, she's not exactly the most likable character. She drove me crazy with her really really bad logic. She made decisions that had me wanting to rip out my hair. I personally didn't like her at all until the end of the middle (if that makes sense). Another problem I had was at the beginning - I had a hard time seeing the connection between the author's voice/style and Emily's voice/character. I could sense Lauren's style, which I like, and then suddenly I was reading from Emily's perspective. The two were discernible, and I found this annoying. I wanted them to mesh and be one voice; it's something I find incredibly important. However, toward the middle, I felt the two voices come easier and go together better.

One of my favorite things about the book - Emily and Beth's relationship. I mean, SO sweet. So tender and adorable. They had nothing in common, and yet they just had this sweet, sisterly love. It made me grin and get emotional over Beth (and the change in Emily...finally!) on more than one occasion.

So, in the end, I liked Emily March. The changes she made were for the better and worth going through the crap for.

Story notes -
While I didn't know where this story was headed in the beginning, I loved the turnout and the really cool twist at the end. The way everything played out made me happy. It went through all my favorite scenes from Little Women and added some great ones.
I loved the dialogue but wished there was more of it. I felt like there was a lot of telling about the conversations between the characters, and not enough actual dialogue. It would have added more meat to the story...
I really liked how circumstances made the book itself magic. I loved Emily's perspective on the 1860's, all her likes and dislikes...

But while I liked the story, there were things I just couldn't ignore. Like, the story amnesia. Emily couldn't remember who John Brooke was, and when certain events would happen or what certain events would happen. And then, all of a sudden, with no transition of thoughts, half-way through the book, Emily was like, "That must be my story amnesia..." It was weird. One moment I'm confused by the lack of explanation for her lack of memory of a book she'd read many times. Then, there's a sudden diagnoses.

In the end I still had some unanswered questions, and the end seemed short, but I was satisfied and happy that I had read the book.

Summing it up -
Flawed but likable. This story isn't exactly solid, but it is clean, funny, and it ended well. I'm satisfied and can't wait to read more from the author! Thank you, Lauren, for sending me the ARC copy to review! :)

For the parents -
A quick reference to, what if Emily March scandalized the family by becoming a lesbian? Emily also tries to kiss Laura...and awkward scene. He pushes her away and accuses her of having a fever. Over all, clean. Recommended 14+.

This ARC copy was provided by the author in return for an honest review. I was in no way compensated; all thoughts and feelings expressed are my own. ( )
  yearningtoread | Nov 26, 2011 |

Modern-day teen Emily March turns to Louisa May Alcott's famous book for a school assignment and finds herself mysteriously transported to the world of "Little Women," where she undergoes surprising changes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,841,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible