The Ambition: A Novel by Lee Strobel

The Ambition: A Novel

by Lee Strobel

80None149,503 (4.03)None

If you know anything about Lee Strobel and his own testimony, then you are in for a treat. Not only is The Ambition loaded with suspense and mystery, but it is filled with spirituality. Everything from coming to Christ, to miracles of complete physical healing, to a Pastor moving to politics.

Knowing his background as a reporter, and how Lee sought the truth of Jesus and the Bible, having to have the Bible spelled out as factual for him to come to faith in Jesus, you see that through his characters and appreciate it all the more.

There were many leading, well rounded characters. It’s a story of a church that makes a huge difference in Chicago where there are corrupted judges and politicians that are bought by the mob. The struggles of the church, judges and politicians collide and there are explosions.

The Ambition is a page turner that will leave you with deep thoughts of your own. It was an amazing story that I found very compelling.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://TMWoodsBooks.com/blog . Also follow me on Twitter @TMWoodsBook, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/TMWoodsBooks . ( )
  TMWoodsBooks | Aug 23, 2013 |
A corrupt judge in a mob murder case. A disillusioned pastor, hungry for power. A cynical reporter, sniffing for a scandal. A gambling addict whose secret tape threatens the lives of everyone who hears it. New York Times bestselling author Lee Strobel weaves these edgy characters into an intricate thriller set in a gleaming, suburban mega church, a big-city newspaper struggling for survival, and the shadowy corridors of political intrigue. The unexpected climax is as gripping as the contract killing that punctuates the opening scene.

Exciting, suspenseful, witty, smart, and very entertaining, this is a great read. Lee Strobel steals the show - yet again - with a compelling and gripping tale. There's a twist at every turn. Good characters and a plot that keeps surprising. The story kept me riveted the ending super-satisfying. It also kept me guessing until the end.

I was given this book by Christian Review of Books. ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Aug 8, 2013 |
Eric Snow, Pastor, turned polictician, is embattled with a judge of dubious character to claim a set in the U.S. Senate.
Newspaper reporter Garry Strider finds intrigues on both sides. ( )
  AngieMargi | Mar 8, 2013 |
Filled with scandal, corruption, murder and a couple of miracles, The Ambition is definitely a page-turner. Author Lee Strobel puts everything he's got into this first novel that won't disappoint his fans. He has taken his experience in law, journalism and religion to produce quite an entertaining tale. Strobel is a best selling author of Christian non-ficion. His Case books are very popular, though I have not read or heard of them before reading The Ambition. It seems he has quite a big following in the Evangelical Christian community who have found his non-fiction books helpful in their lives.

His strong Christian beliefs make there way into this novel as well, which is understandable since it is considered Christian fiction. His characters' beliefs are always shared and there is some preaching (amongst the characters). Though prominent, it doesn't get in the way of the story. In fact, considering the subject matter- it fits. The Ambition is also a thriller. As mentioned previously, there are mob hits, corrupt judges and possible scandals within a large Church. Strobel does a good job of weaving together these two seemingly different genres.

I had a couple minor issues. One- there are many characters to keep track of- a pastor looking to leave his church to get into politics, a corrupt judge, a gambling addict who is a disbarred lawyer, and a journalist looking for a story to help keep his paper afloat. I managed to get confused with who was who quite a bit in the beginning. Once I got more into the story, and their importance to the story revealed itself, I no longer had any issues following along with each character.

[SPOILERS]
Second, I would have liked to seen a little more bad in the good. What I mean is the characters that are supposed to be good guys were and the bad were bad. There wasn't much in the way of surprises in the end. The agnostic becomes a believer, the pastor returns to his flock, the gambler turns to God and the bad guys get caught.
[END SPOILERS]

All in all, it was an enjoyable read even for someone who doesn't normally read Christian fiction. ( )
  maribs | Aug 7, 2011 |
I received a copy of Lee Strobel's fiction book The Ambition for review. I did not know about this author so I was not aware that he wrote non fiction christian books.

This first novel is full of colorful characters, including a corrupt judge, a few Chicago mobsters,and an Evanglical pastor with political aspirations. The main character is a reporter trying to get the big story, one that will help him keep his job and advance his career. There are a few different side stories that are all pulled together by the end of the book. At first I had a difficult time reading this book as there were so many characters introduced that is was hard to remember who was who. After a few chapters I was hooked though. Fast paced and suspenseful, this book will appeal to all fans of the mystery genre with a bit of miracles and the mob thrown in. ( )
  celticlady53 | Jul 26, 2011 |

A desperate quest for redemption in a world of corruption. A routine mob hit lights the fuse on an explosive collision of ambition and deception inside the Windy City's corridors of power. An insider's tale of power, politics, and payoffs as current as today's headlines.

A corrupt judge in a mob murder case. A disillusioned pastor, hungry for power. A cynical reporter, sniffing for a scandal. A gambling addict whose secret tape threatens the lives of everyone who hears it. New York Times bestselling author Lee Strobel weaves these edgy characters into an intricate thriller set in a gleaming, suburban megachurch, a big-city newspaper struggling for survival, and the shadowy corridors of political intrigue. The unexpected climax is as gripping as the contract killing that punctuates the opening scene.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:42 -0400)

A corrupt judge vying for a seat in the U.S. Senate must contend with incriminating evidence held by a desperate lawyer, a pastor using his megachurch to fund his political ambitions, and a newspaper reporter threatening to uncover both their secrets.… (more)

49 wanted3 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible