The Tragedy of Arthur by Arthur Phillips

The Tragedy of Arthur

by Arthur Phillips

If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio (Lirmac)
    Lirmac: Two books that explore creativity, crime and their connection to Shakespeare.
    My Struggle: Book One: A Death in the Family by Karl Ove Knausgård (Lirmac)
    Lirmac: Although set in very different locations, both are 'autofictional' works dealing with an adult author coming to terms with his childhood and troubled relationship with his father.
    Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov (Lirmac)
    Lirmac: Another great work of metafiction where the novel comprises the work of one 'author' with notes and introductory material by another.
    Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon (jilld17)

I thoroughly enjoyed this metafictional take on Shakespeare. It's well-written, and Phillips does a good job with the characters, but honestly I just thought it was a really fun and interesting story. And as much as I like Shakespeare, I thought much of what Phillips had to say about the way we see Shakespeare today was spot-on. ( )
1 vote GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Well done, even though I knew it was fiction, I found myself wondering. Pastiche well executed. The author's footnotes in the play itself - priceless. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
just didn't grab me, didn't finish it ( )
  jimifenway | Feb 2, 2016 |
Too clever by half. A supposed lost early play of the Bard is discovered--by Arthur's father, a con man, who has spent most of his life in jail, for, among other forgeries, faking lottery tickets, making crop circles. The play is given to Arthur, his son and narrator of the Introduction. Is this Tragedy of Arthur really by Shakespeare, or is it a fake? To me the play itself was a pastiche of the history plays and of Macbeth, thrown together in a jumble. Random House, Arthur's publisher, insists on its publication but permits Arthur to write an introduction, hence Arthur's explaining his motivation.

Original and creative, but often repetitious. The play itself was BORING! ( )
  janerawoof | Dec 4, 2015 |
I have never much liked Shakespeare.

When their long-imprisoned con-artist father reaches the end of his life, Arthur and his twin sister become the owners of an undiscovered play by William Shakespeare that their father wants published, a final request that represents either a great literary gift or their father's last great heist.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Arthur Phillips's book The Tragedy of Arthur was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Arthur Phillips is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,670,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible