dismiss

The Tragedy of Arthur by Arthur Phillips

The Tragedy of Arthur

by Arthur Phillips

When their long-imprisoned con-artist father reaches the end of his life, Arthur and his twin sister become the owners of an undiscovered play by William Shakespeare that their father wants published, a final request that represents either a great literary gift or their father's last great heist.
    If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio (Lirmac)
    Lirmac: Two books that explore creativity, crime and their connection to Shakespeare.
    My Struggle: Book One: A Death in the Family by Karl Ove Knausgård (Lirmac)
    Lirmac: Although set in very different locations, both are 'autofictional' works dealing with an adult author coming to terms with his childhood and troubled relationship with his father.
    Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov (Lirmac)
    Lirmac: Another great work of metafiction where the novel comprises the work of one 'author' with notes and introductory material by another.
    Await Your Reply by Dan Chaon (jilld17)

So [a:Arthur Phillips|16223|Arthur Phillips|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1300779822p2/16223.jpg] is one of my favorites so I'm predisposed to like this book. And it really doesn't disappoint. A story of the son of a con man who spends the whole book basically conning the reader, while complaining about being the son of a con man. And of course a whole phoney play by Shakespeare. Just read it--it's worth it. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
I had a difficult time keeping interest in this book. ( )
  Melwilk | Mar 19, 2020 |
Blah, didn't finish, ran out of steam mid way... ( )
  RekhainBC | Feb 15, 2019 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this metafictional take on Shakespeare. It's well-written, and Phillips does a good job with the characters, but honestly I just thought it was a really fun and interesting story. And as much as I like Shakespeare, I thought much of what Phillips had to say about the way we see Shakespeare today was spot-on. ( )
1 vote GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
Well done, even though I knew it was fiction, I found myself wondering. Pastiche well executed. The author's footnotes in the play itself - priceless. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
I have never much liked Shakespeare.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Arthur Phillips's book The Tragedy of Arthur was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Arthur Phillips is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,530,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible