The Forgotten Affairs Of Youth: An Isabel…

The Forgotten Affairs Of Youth: An Isabel Dalhousie Novel (Isabel… (edition 2012)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Member:liewil
Title:The Forgotten Affairs Of Youth: An Isabel Dalhousie Novel (Isabel Dalhousie Novels)
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Info:Abacus (2012), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***

The Forgotten Affairs of Youth by Alexander McCall Smith

I do not understand why I keep doing it: I go to the library, get a bunch of books, and one of them is a McCall Smith one. I read it, and think to myself that I will not get another one, because they are a waste of reading time, somehow. I cannot explain exactly what I mean. I expect books to reveal something new, to make me think, to entertain. His books do not do any of the above, but I still read them, and I do not stop until I get to the end. Reading McCall Smith's books is almost like not reading them, they are so easy to read, inoffensive, innocuous, almost like drinking a glass of water. I do not know whether I look forward to the next one or not, but I am sure it will come my way... ( )
  flydodofly | Jun 29, 2014 |
An Australian professor of philosophy visiting Edinburgh on sabbatical asks Isabel Dalhousie to help her trace her Scottish birth parents.

Another gently humorous amble through Isabel's life as she ponders moral dilemmas thrown up by ordinary circumstances and her desire to help people where she can. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jun 10, 2014 |
Not actually much detection or mystery in this installment of the life of moral philosopher Isabel Dalhousie. Perhaps the audio version made me more aware of the extreme talkiness of the book, since one cannot skim. Enjoyable, but does drag a bit.
  ritaer | Mar 30, 2014 |
Another excellent narration by Davina Porter! Eighth in a sequence of books about classy, middle-aged Isabel Dalhousie, owner/editor of a philosophy journal and everyday philosopher, this seemed a little light on surprises, but does move the story of Isabel and her younger lover Jamie along. Still has plenty of Isabel's musings and sharpish thoughts (the latter of which she mostly manages to keep to herself.) ( )
  baystateRA | Feb 19, 2014 |
When Isabel meets a woman searching for her birth father, she agrees to help as usual. Other elements of family from Grace calling herself Charlie’s aunt, Isabel’s relationship with Cat, her engagement and pending marriage to Jamie, meeting Dove’s nephew, as well as reflecting on past relationships allows Isabel to see the complexities of how we define family. As usual Isabel's reflections turn philosophical. ( )
  4leschats | Apr 6, 2013 |
The principal mystery in McCall Smith’s latest novel featuring the wise but impish Edinburgh philosopher Isabel Dalhousie turns on a visiting Australian academic who is searching for her birth father. As usual, McCall Smith makes a little plot go a long way, mostly by dressing up Edinburgh with countless small adventures and gentle observations.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Feb 25, 2012)

This book is for Diane Martin, editor and friend.
Isabel Dalhousie, a philosopher, lowered her copy of the Scotsman newspaper and smiled.

Isabel Dalhousie helps a new friend discover the identity of her father. But Isabel also manages to find time for her own concerns: her young son, Charlie, already walking and talking; her housekeeper, Grace, whose spiritualist has lately been doubling as a financial advisor; her niece Cat's latest relationship; and the pressing question of when and how Isabel and Jamie should finally get married.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,601,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible