Whirlwind by Robin DeJarnett

Whirlwind

by Robin DeJarnett

Love at first sight is a myth to aspiring journalist Melissa Williams, but when she meets Jason McAlister at a friend's wedding, a Cinderella-like fantasy turns her no-nonsense world upside down. She sees in his penetrating blue eyes not just an evening, but a lifetime together that includes much more than a glass slipper and a kiss. Realizing she shared a few salacious emails with Jason months ago, a humiliated Melissa loses herself in the crowd, thankful he doesn't know who she is. But he does know-and with a gentle touch and a steamy kiss, he soon picks up their flirtation right where it left off. As midnight strikes, Melissa succumbs to Jason's sexy pull, unaware that a woman's body has been discovered in the wake of the party. When evidence points to Melissa as the killer's next target, the lines between fantasy and reality blur. She goes into hiding, charmed by one mysterious man and hunted by another. Cinderella lost a shoe-Melissa could lose both her handsome prince and her life.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked that the book was a pick up and go kind of book without a lot of forethought, however, the pitfall to any book like that is the lack of depth that it sometimes lacks.

The main character is enjoyable to follow the story with, and the storyline is mixed up with murder and other complications. A worthy read if you're between books. ( )
  pandawnmonium | Mar 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a lightweight read about Melissa, a girl who falls for her best friend's brother in the classic romance style. Unlike the norm though, it is twisted up by a murder and all it's complications.

While I felt that overall the book was witty and a breezy read, I did find there to be a lack of depth to the story. It felt like the murder was just added to make it different from all the other contemporary romance books out there, but really wasn't very well thought out or executed. I would say this is a good book for someone looking for a quick fun romance with a tiny splash of mystery/thriller, but not the other way around. ( )
  besodenena | Jul 12, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When Melissa attends her best friend Mitch's wedding, she finally meets his older brother, Jason, and is instantly attracted. It seems that Jason is similarly smitten. Uncharacteristically, Melissa spends the night with Jason and can't believe how strongly she is drawn to him. They are rudely interrupted the next morning by police officers who inform them that a woman was murdered the previous evening and Jason is implicated. Thus begins an eventful week filled with suspense, fear, love and hope.

Whirlwind is a light and entertaining read. It is a slow start, but picks up after about 100 pages. The characters aren't well-developed, the murder plot is secondary to the romance and almost irrelevant. I would have enjoyed it better if the murder plotline was more central and the romance developed around it. ( )
  lrobe190 | Jun 26, 2011 |
Mel is an awesome character...she is sarcastic, funny, snarky- all my favorite things dude! Her 'thought process' is nothing short of hilarious, (she thinks to herself...)

"Yeah, keep up the excuses. Your nose is rivaling Pinocchio's"

A delightfully quick and entertaining read- Whirlwind describes itself perfectly with it's title!

The first 100 or so pages were like tortuously sensual, perfect foreplay between Jason and Mel. Yum. Jason is so hot like melted butter dripping off- Oh! TMI... I suppose.

So begins a hot romance with an interesting, yet sometimes quite aggravating murder mystery twist thrown in.

Mel and Jason were too freaking cute together, despite how I usually feel about the 'love at first sight' angle- Robin did a great job with it 90% of the time! The 'mystery' part... not so much.

From the very first time we 'meet' the killer, we know he is after Mel. He tracks her all over, but we never know why. This irritates me. There were so many awesome ways to integrate a plot into this aspect of the book. Mel's father was a cop, so the killer could have been trying to get back at him by going after his daughter... SOMETHING.

I understand that criminals can be random and such, but since he went to such great lengths to find her- I wanted a reason!!!!

All in all I really did enjoy this book! Jason & Mel were so hot together, the romance never felt 'overdone'. As a romance book... 4.5 stars- only because Mel got a little weird at the end for no reason and I was WAY confused about the whole thing. JUST get on the plane chick! As a mystery book... 3 stars- because there was no explanation. I NEED an explanation! :)

So I shall average this and give Whirlwind 4 stars because the romance is sooooo worth it! ( )
  BookishBrunette | Jun 15, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a difficult time reading this book. The story is ok, but I often felt as though someone were relating the story to me instead of getting caught up or lost in the story. It is an easy summer read and others will likely enjoy the tone and voice of the book, it just was not my favorite. I did not abandon hope and am not sorry I read it; however, I prefer to get lost in a book. I would definitely give the author another shot. ( )
  slay621 | Jun 12, 2011 |
"The coroner listed the official cause of death as asphyxiation."
Mom was silent for a moment. “I’m sorry, Melissa, but can you blame me for worrying? In less than an hour I found out you’re being stalked by a killer, sleeping with a stranger, and hiding with him in an empty apartment. You have to admit that sounds…unsettling."

Love at first sight is a myth to aspiring journalist Melissa Williams, but when she meets Jason McAlister at a friend’s wedding, a Cinderella-like fantasy turns her no-nonsense world upside down. She sees in his penetrating blue eyes not just an evening, but a lifetime together that includes much more than a glass slipper and a kiss.

Realizing she shared a few salacious emails with Jason months ago, a humiliated Melissa loses herself in the crowd, thankful he doesn’t know who she is. But he does know—and with a gentle touch and a steamy kiss, he soon picks up their flirtation right where it left off.

As midnight strikes, Melissa succumbs to Jason’s sexy pull, unaware that a woman’s body has been discovered in the wake of the party. When evidence points to Melissa as the killer’s next target, the lines between fantasy and reality blur. She goes into hiding, charmed by one mysterious man and hunted by another.

Cinderella lost a shoe—Melissa could lose both her handsome prince and her life.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Robin DeJarnett's book Whirlwind was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Robin DeJarnett's book Whirlwind was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Robin DeJarnett is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,744,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible