Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Book 03 -…

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Book 03 - Circus of the Damned (original 1995; edition 2007)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

When a rogue master vampire named Alejandro hits town and claims Anita Blake, an expert on undead creatures of the night, as his human servant, a war of the undead breaks out between the interloper and Jean-Claude, the city's Master Vampire.
Member:Via
Title:Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Book 03 - Circus of the Damned
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Berkley Trade (2007), Paperback, 320 pages

Circus of the Damned by Laurell K. Hamilton (1995)

English (77)  French (1)  Czech (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (80)
I generally enjoyed this book, but it left me feeling like I was missing something. I'm unclear as to why the giant snake was used at the beginning of the book, other than to set up the idea of snakes that pervaded the rest of the book. And to introduce new characters. I'll listen to (probably not take time to read) more books in this series, but I'm not in love. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
I'm really enjoying this series with feisty heroins Anita Blake. Animator, necromancer, vampire executioner. It's an easy read and totally escapist. Perfect to take my mind off real-world issues. But the series does bring up some interesting issues in a world filled with undead, werewolves, and other supernatural creatures. Should vampire be granted the same rights as living humans? Is it okay to discriminate against lycanthropes?

So far, I want to keep reading the series. I like that each book can be read on it's own, but that characters and issues carry over. Like the Master of the City having a thing for Anita and how that seems to drive a lot of the plots. ( )
  jezebellydancer | Dec 25, 2020 |
Another interesting foray into the world of Anita Blake. This one felt a little long, although I can't really put my finger on the reason for that. It may be me--I tend, when I find an author/series I like, to binge on the books. Which is a good indication that I'm enjoying them, of course. But then they usually get to feel a little same-old same-old to me. Not really the author's fault, nor the fault of the books themselves--of course we read series because we like the books and the characters and the situations. But perhaps they go down best when we don't read them in handfuls, like peanuts. :)

That said, I do like Anita Blake. Sometimes I want to tell her to hurry up and deal with problem X or Y, but I'm quite sure she will do so in the future. And she does tend to have a lot to deal with in the present of each book. If you don't mind the level of gore and like sexy vampires, this is the series for you. ( )
  sdramsey | Dec 14, 2020 |
Okay, I made it to book 3. Why? I'm not sure. It's like eating potato chips. I don't really like them, but the bag is there so I keep on eating them. . . .

This is so over-the-top and silly. But I kept on turning the pages. Had to see just who she was going to blow away with her gun(s) or stab with her knives.

One small woman, all those ancient vampires. And no one can kill this woman? Really?

Sigh. Against my better judgement, on to book 4. . . .I'm opening another bag. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
My review of this book is located on my Youtube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Jan 24, 2020 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

To Ginger Buchanan, our editor, whose faith in Anita and patience with me has been most appreciated.
There was dried chicken blood imbedded under my fingernails.

"MOST WOMEN COMPLAIN THAT THERE ARE NO SINGLE, STRAIGHT MEN LEFT. I'D JUST LIKE TO MEET ONE THAT'S HUMAN"

I'm Anita Blake, expert on creatures of the night. I've dined with shapeshifters, danced with werewolves, and been wooed--but not won--by Jean-Claude, the Master Vampire of the City.

And now a darkly dangerous vampire named Alejandro has hit town. He too wants me for his human servant. A war of the undead has begun. Over me.

I would be flattered. If my life weren't at stake.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,012,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible