Now You See Me by S. J. Bolton

Now You See Me (2011)

by S. J. Bolton

The Blood Harvest by S. J. Bolton (tina1969)
    A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Not the same, but definitely living in the same neighborhood.
    Deadly Intent by Lynda La Plante (bergs47)

English (56)  German (3)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (61)
This book was a great start to the series. I liked the Jack the Ripper connection and found it very interesting. I liked the characters and the plot. There were a lot of twists and turns that keep the pages flying. I found the ending a little confusing but all in all it was a pretty good book. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series and would recommend this book to those who like mystery/thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | Nov 13, 2018 |
Description
Stumbling onto a murder scene that a reporter likens to the crimes of Jack the Ripper, young detective constable Lacey Flint races against time to prevent additional deaths and realizes that the killer is taunting her with secrets from her past.

This story switched back and forth between 11 years ago and present and made me wonder who the people were then and how they are connected to the murders now. Lacey Flint had a lot of secrets and the story was intriguing to me and made me want to find out what they were and why she was trying to hide from them. At times, Lacey put herself in extreme danger without a good reason and the story lost some credibility for me. However, I liked the ending a lot which made up for that. ( )
  gaylebutz | Nov 9, 2018 |
Lacey Flint is a young detective constable who literally walks into the first victim seconds before she bleeds out. Lacey has a secret...a secret that she has fought to keep deeply hidden... but now thanks to a set of unpredictable circumstances, it may bring her life crashing down around her ears. The Jack The Ripper copycat portion of the book was interesting, informative but extremely gruesome...as can be expected since history has told us Jack wasn't "The Tooth Fairy", thus this may not be a topic that everyone will want to explore. The biggest set back for me with the book was that it didn't always give the reader even a minor explanation of why the events transpired as they did. I really enjoyed the authors writing style and I believe the series has a great deal of promise if it continues with these same characters. ( )
  Carol420 | Nov 7, 2018 |
Now You See Me
4.5 Stars

An intriguing and original take on the Jack the Ripper murders with some excellent twists and turns that keep you riveted.

The heroine, Lacey Flint, is rough around the edges and some readers may find it difficult to engage with her, but to me the amalgamation of strength and vulnerability make her particularly appealing. In terms of her investigative skills, Lacey has good instincts and cares about people but she is an inexperienced detective and also a bit of a loose cannon who has problems with authority. It will be interesting to see if she learns from her mistakes in the next book.

The murder mystery is intense and the historical detail is well-researched and insightful. It should be noted that the descriptions are quite graphic and grisly so the book may not appeal to those who prefer less gruesome elements in their reading.

Bolton’s writing style is immersive and gives just the right amount of information about the characters and the crimes to whet the appetite for more. The hint at a romance between Lacey and Marc Joesbury is enough to satisfy the romantic in me and I look forward to seeing how their relationship develops in the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Very well done. Good start to this series, kept me guessing. Looking forward to more. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
For Andrew, who reads my books first;
and for Hal, who can't wait to get started.
Leaves, mud and grass deaden sound. (Prologue)

One night after interviewing a reluctant witness at a London apartment complex, Lacey Flint, a young detective constable, stumbles onto a woman brutally stabbed just moments before in the building’s darkened parking lot. Within twenty-four hours a reporter receives an anonymous letter that points out alarming similarities between the murder and Jack the Ripper’s first murder—a letter that calls out Lacey by name. If it’s real, and they have a killer bent on re-creating London’s bloody past, history shows they have just five days until the next attempt.

No one believes the connections are anything more than a sadistic killer’s game, not even Lacey, whom the killer seems to be taunting specifically. However, as they investigate the details of the case start reminding her more and more of a part of her past she’d rather keep hidden. And the only way to do that is to catch the killer herself.

Fast paced and completely riveting, S. J. Bolton’s Now You See Me is a modern gothic novel that is nothing less than a masterpiece of suspense fiction.

Now You See Me is a Kirkus Reviews Best of 2011 Mysteries title.

One of Library Journal's Best Mystery Books of 2011

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

S. J. Bolton's book Now You See Me was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,412,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible