One Day I Will Write About This Place: A…

One Day I Will Write About This Place: A Memoir (2011)

by Binyavanga Wainaina

Recently added bypeterd, private library, snash, susannenewton, aventinus, kylerific, katybarnes, rudidorn

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
This is a memoir written in spectacularly descriptive and creative language that works best in describing scenes and the African world, less well in engaging the reader personally with the writer. ( )
  snash | Sep 22, 2014 |
A well written account of a writer coming of age in Kenya and his travels across the African continent as an adult. Wainana's prose is elegant, spare and he conveys his experiences in a series a tightly told vingettes.

However, he never really made me care enough about his life. There are worse sins in literature, but I never found myself completely absorbed by this. ( )
  lewissmith4 | Dec 17, 2013 |
Really wonderful, absorbing memoir about growing up in Kenya in the 70s and 80s, being part of the first generation to be born after independence from British rule. Wainaina's prose is the real joy here, riffing on language, meandering but never rambling, often suggestive rather than direct, and only rarely getting away from itself. (This seems to happen more at the beginning of the book than later on.) I did want this to cohere a little more—it's not quite a memoir proper, but more than a series of vignettes—but was impressed enough that I will look out for more of Wainaina's work in the future. ( )
  siriaeve | Oct 29, 2013 |
I received this as a First Reads winner and am so sorry it took me so long to read and review the book.This is a great book! The descriptions of the people and places of Africa are incredible. Several times I thought I might check Google Earth to find some of the places mentioned because I wanted to see for myself. Then I thought that the descriptions in the book were so detailed I would probably be disappointed by the Google Earth view and decided to just savor the imagery as given. ( )
  SuzanneD | Jan 17, 2012 |
His life pathways to becoming a writer and observations of his country.
  goneal | Nov 17, 2011 |

In this memoir, Wainaina takes us through his school days, his mother's religious period, his failed attempt to study commerce in South Africa, a moving family reunion in Uganda, and his travels around Kenya.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,263 books! | Top bar: Always visible