Mothers and Daughters: A Novel by Rae…

Mothers and Daughters: A Novel

by Rae Meadows

English (33)  Dutch (2)  All languages (35)
You know, I’m not a mother, but I am a daughter. And even my mother has begun to send me “Mother’s Day” cards, because although I am 41, divorced and childless, and it appears I will likely never birth a child, she says I am still a “mother” to many in the world and care for many. I'm a mother at heart, if not in function. So I could identify with this book and its characters on many levels.

There was a lot for me to relate to in this book, despite my not having children.

This story was about three generations of women. Grandmother Violet, mother Iris and daughter/granddaughter Sam. I think that Violet as a young girl was my favorite character, although I also loved that of Iris at the end of her life as well.

This book perfectly captured the stereotypical mother-daughter relationship!

My final word: This book was very easy to read, and often stirred my emotions. I would love to try something else by author Rae Meadows, and would recommend this book in a heartbeat! ( )
  nfmgirl2 | Jun 8, 2011 |
3 women, 3 generations, 3 lives: How one women's decision impacted generations to come. Written as a narrative by each of the women, the writer takes you back to experience the key events that shaped how each woman's character was formed. Each narrative could (and should have) stood alone as a separate novel in a trilogy (or even four book series). Unfortunately, Ms. Meadows did not take this approach and the reader is left feeling as though there was more to the story. She does, however, cause us to think about who we are and how our decisions shape the future. ( )
  sunnydrk | May 31, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Mothers and Daughters follows three generations of women throughout their lives, piecing together the relationships and bouncing between the different stories. I did have some difficulty switching between the characters but that is likely because I was unable to dedicate a lot of time at once to the book and had to read in short time bursts. I have wondered how the story would have read if the author had made this into a three book series and kept each story more separate but still intertwined. really enjoyed this book. ( )
  savedbyhisblood | May 26, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Rae Meadows exhibits a keen understanding of the complicated relationship between mothers and daughters. As a daughter, mother, and now grandmother (with 2 granddaughters), I identified with the common, and often lifelong, push-pull struggle of mothers and daughters to connect and yet maintain individual identities. Any daughter/mother who reads this book will have a better understanding of herself. Like the character Samantha and her mother Iris, I wish I had asked more questions about my mother’s life. I wish I knew more of her story; but also like these characters I understand that what she wanted like all of us was to love and be loved. This novel really struck a chord with me. Almost as a side note, the orphan train storyline was interesting and informative. This was a really enjoyable read. ( )
  ellasmeme | May 25, 2011 |
Typically I won’t read the jacket blurbs until I’ve finished reading the book, and so while I had definite expectations of Rae Meadows’ novel, Mothers & Daughters, I had no idea—beyond the title and a friend’s recommendation—about what to expect. There was lots to love right away with this writing: the initial setting in Madison, Wisconsin (where my husband went to college), a common but uniquely described scene of a mother’s first time leaving her baby with a sitter, and foremost, Meadows’ easy precision that paints clear action and images, and draws quick and deep characterizations. In terms of plot, I don’t want to be the spoiler for those who also don’t read jacket blurbs, but I can say that the second chapter, at first jarring, took my breath away and then the third did the same. And then I couldn’t put the book down.

Meadows masters the nuances in marriage and family relationships with sensitivity, subtlety and striking accuracy. I come away from this relatively short book having experienced a broad range of emotion with its characters, from the heady surprising love of one’s baby to a late-blooming romance, to the slow simmer (and all that that implies) of companionship, to the complex comforts of long marriage and between siblings, and disappointment, confusion, loathing, grief, guilt, rivers of unspoken longing, wrenching pity and hope. Add to that frustration of procrastination, aimlessness, perseverance, determination and courage, and it equals an unforgettable story. For me, it recalls a phrase in Maxine Hong Kingston’s Woman Warrior: “I learned to make my mind large, as the universe is large, so that there is room for paradoxes.” This is a story filled with the kinds of paradoxes we deal with daily, and paradoxes that preceded us and unknowingly added richness to our lives, richness of the kind that can be exactly found in this book. You must read Mothers & Daughters, by Rae Meadows.
  EugeniaKim | May 20, 2011 |
Sam was hungry for pound cake.

A rich and luminous novel about three generations of women in one family: the love they share, the dreams they refuse to surrender, and the secrets they hold

Samantha is lost in the joys of new motherhood—the softness of her eight-month-old daughter's skin, the lovely weight of her child in her arms—but in trading her artistic dreams to care for her child, Sam worries she's lost something of herself. And she is still mourning another loss: her mother, Iris, died just one year ago.

When a box of Iris's belongings arrives on Sam's doorstep, she discovers links to pieces of her family history but is puzzled by much of the information the box contains. She learns that her grandmother Violet left New York City as an eleven-year-old girl, traveling by herself to the Midwest in search of a better life. But what was Violet's real reason for leaving? And how could she have made that trip alone at such a tender age?

In confronting secrets from her family's past, Sam comes to terms with deep secrets from her own. Moving back and forth in time between the stories of Sam, Violet, and Iris, Mothers and Daughters is the spellbinding tale of three remarkable women connected across a century by the complex wonder of motherhood.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:05 -0400)

When a box of her dead mother's belongings arrive on her doorstep, Samantha discovers a mystery surrounding her grandmother, and, in investigating it, comes to terms with balancing her own role as a mother with her artistic aspirations.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rae Meadows's book Mothers and Daughters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,418,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible