The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux

The Great Railway Bazaar (1975)

by Paul Theroux

English (41)  Dutch (4)  French (1)  Greek (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (49)
Bought 5/6/2013. Did not like. Rambles pointlessly. ( )
  ShadowBarbara | Jan 27, 2017 |
I love a good travel book, especially when I can sit comfortably on my couch while the author goes through all the hardships and inconveniences for me! I really enjoyed reading along while Theroux traveled 6000 miles via train to locales that I will never go to, nor will most others, since the world has changed so much since the book was written almost 40 years ago ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
Not always particularly culturally sensitive, Theroux still manages to write up fantastic characters and and provide vivid portraits. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
A second hand copy of the author's rail trips throughout Asia; to be honest, I'd forgotten I had this, and it only surfaced after adding from my bookshelf. I've only ridden along a very small mileage of that covered by Paul, but serves to remind me what's out there is the big wide world
  corracreigh | Jan 14, 2016 |
A travelogue composed of witty sketches of strangers on board trains. The author travels from London to Japan and back. Theroux loves the state of being a traveler, at the same time, he seems dubious of people in general, so most of these vignettes have a humorously misanthropic tone.

I loved this book. The only thing to detract from it is how exhaustive it is. There isn't a dry stretch, and it's never boring, but there's not much of a character arc to follow, either. ( )
  scrapironjaw | Dec 1, 2015 |

Theroux, PaulAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abreu, FernandaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Godó Costa, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hanssen, TorilTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McLoughlin, DeborahIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Motta, MarisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"To the legion of the lost ones, to the cohortof the damned,To my brethren in their sorrows overseas . . ."
And to my brothers and sisters, namely Eugene, Alexander, Ann-Marie, Mary, Joseph, and Peter, with love
Ever since childhood, when I lived within earshot of the Boston and Maine, I have seldom heard a train go by and not wished I was on it.

The meeting of Theroux with Shiva Naipaul, in a hotel in India, is remarkable. His having sex with a women in Swtzerland , (Or it is some other countrt the the Eastern europe, where he withdraws his royalty money from a local publisher) is also remarkable.

Krishna Bhatt. Author.

First published more than thirty years ago, Paul Theroux's strange, unique, and hugely entertaining railway odyssey has become a modern classic of travel literature. Here Theroux recounts his early adventures on an unusual grand continental tour. Asia's fabled trains -- the Orient Express, the Khyber Pass Local, the Frontier Mail, the Golden Arrow to Kuala Lumpur, the Mandalay Express, the Trans-Siberian Express -- are the stars of a journey that takes him on a loop eastbound from London's Victoria Station to Tokyo Central, then back from Japan on the Trans-Siberian. Brimming with Theroux's signature humor and wry observations, this engrossing chronicle is essential reading for both the ardent adventurer and the armchair traveler.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:25 -0400)

Here Theroux recounts his early adventures on an unusual grand continental tour. Asia's fabled trains -- the Orient Express, the Khyber Pass Local, the Frontier Mail, the Golden Arrow to Kuala Lumpur, the Mandalay Express, the Trans-Siberian Express -- are the stars of a journey that takes him on a loop eastbound from London's Victoria Station to Tokyo Central, then back from Japan on the Trans-Siberian. --From publisher's description.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189142, 0141038845, 0143566520

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,195,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible