Ladder to the Moon by Maya Soetoro-Ng

Ladder to the Moon

by Maya Soetoro-Ng

This book starts when a girl named Suhalia asked her mother what her grandmother was like. Her mother explained that she was like the moon. That night Suhalia saw the moonlight shining through her window and a golden ladder appeared. Her grandmother invited her to climb up and go on an adventure. They look back at Earth and embrace many different people. She was able to open her eyes and see more than she did before.
  bcelaya | Nov 15, 2015 |
I liked this book because of it’s overall message of hope. Grandma Annie encouraged the struggling swimmers to “kick hard” and “swim” and eventually to “come dance and get warm”. On another page Grandma Annie said, “hang on tight” to two sisters climbing down two tall towers. Finally, Grandma Annie says, “We’ll throw in our hearts and minds, and work with our hands to make the land a little more kind.” Throughout the book Grandma Annie provides hope to everyone struggling and gives hope to Suhaila when she says that together they will “make the land a little more kind”.
I also liked this book because of the metaphors used throughout. On the first page when Suhaila asks, “What was Grandma Annie like?” her mother says, “She was like the moon, full of soft, and curious.” On another page Suhaila, “tossed herself out of bed like a tumbleweed.” These metaphors enhance the story by making the descriptions more interesting and poetic. ( )
  kmurph30 | Oct 26, 2015 |
This touching story shares the way a little girl, Suhaila, comes to know her grandmother, who has already passed away. After asking her mom about her Grandma Annie, Suhaila is visited that night by her grandmother, descending on a golden ladder and taking the child to the moon. The adventure helps Suhaila understand her grandmother and the world, as they work together to help and heal people around the world. This story has a wonderful author's note that shares her personal story and motivation for writing this story.
  LStephens | Aug 14, 2015 |
This book was about how a child climbed a ladder to the moon and stayed there with her grandmother. They helped those on the earth and led them to the moon. I don't know how I felt about this book. It gave me conflicting feels. I don't think I would provide this book in my class room.
  Y-NhiVu | Oct 2, 2014 |
This story is about Suhaila and her desire to meet her grandmother who passed away. A ladder appears and Suhaila uses it to meet with her grandmother.
  laurlou | Jun 10, 2014 |

From Maya Soetoro-Ng, sister of President Obama, comes a lyrical story relaying the loving wisdom of their late mother to a young granddaughter she never met.

Little Suhaila wishes she could have known her grandma, who would wrap her arms around the whole world if she could, Mama says. And one night, Suhaila gets her wish when a golden ladder appears at her window, and Grandma Annie invites the girl to come along with her on a magical journey. In a rich and deeply personal narrative, Maya Soetoro-Ng draws inspiration from her mother s love for family, her empathy for others, and her ethic of service to imagine this remarkable meeting. Evoking fantasy and folklore, the story touches on events that have affected people across the world in our time and reaffirms our common humanity. Yuyi Morales s breathtaking artwork illuminates the dreamlike tale, reminding us that loved ones lost are always with us, and that sometimes we need only look at the moon and remember.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:16 -0400)

Suhaila's wish to know her deceased grandmother is granted when a golden ladder appears at her window and Grandma Annie invites her on a journey to the moon, where they welcome people who are facing tragedy. Includes facts about the painting and woman who inspired the story.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible