Ladder to the Moon by Maya Soetoro-Ng

Ladder to the Moon

by Maya Soetoro-Ng

This book was about how a child climbed a ladder to the moon and stayed there with her grandmother. They helped those on the earth and led them to the moon. I don't know how I felt about this book. It gave me conflicting feels. I don't think I would provide this book in my class room.
  Y-NhiVu | Oct 2, 2014 |
This story is about Suhaila and her desire to meet her grandmother who passed away. A ladder appears and Suhaila uses it to meet with her grandmother.
  laurlou | Jun 10, 2014 |
In short, this story is about Suhaila taking a golden ladder to the moon to be with her Grandmother Annie. While up on the moon with Annie she discovers the moons song and how it is used to help people. She helps a great-grandmother and a newborn baby make their way to the moon with the ladder. On the moon they can feel the faith from down below circulating as people kneel to pray. Grandma Annie is set to nourish people and help people come together with a sense of love and belonging. It is a great story of three generations of women. The daughter, the mom, and the Grandmother. Building those relationships and learning from our elders is important.
  kvail | Mar 15, 2014 |
I love the use of metaphors throughout the book. Especially when Suhaila asked her mother what grandma was like. Her mother responds by saying,"she was like the moon, full, soft and curious. Your grandma would wrap her arms around the world if she could." Little did Suhaila know that her mom was right and that she herself would experiences that. It shows kids that they are all connected regardless of where they live or are.
  mariasegoviano | Feb 14, 2014 |
Suhaila wonders what her grandmother, Annie, was like. One magical night, Suhaila's grandmother appears on a ladder outside of her window. Together, they journey to the moon where they help heal people who have gone through tragedy and loss.
  teacher1267 | Jan 27, 2014 |

From Maya Soetoro-Ng, sister of President Obama, comes a lyrical story relaying the loving wisdom of their late mother to a young granddaughter she never met.

Little Suhaila wishes she could have known her grandma, who would wrap her arms around the whole world if she could, Mama says. And one night, Suhaila gets her wish when a golden ladder appears at her window, and Grandma Annie invites the girl to come along with her on a magical journey. In a rich and deeply personal narrative, Maya Soetoro-Ng draws inspiration from her mother s love for family, her empathy for others, and her ethic of service to imagine this remarkable meeting. Evoking fantasy and folklore, the story touches on events that have affected people across the world in our time and reaffirms our common humanity. Yuyi Morales s breathtaking artwork illuminates the dreamlike tale, reminding us that loved ones lost are always with us, and that sometimes we need only look at the moon and remember.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:11 -0400)

Suhaila's wish to know her deceased grandmother is granted when a golden ladder appears at her window and Grandma Annie invites her on a journey to the moon, where they welcome people who are facing tragedy. Includes facts about the painting and woman who inspired the story.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,334,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible