The Toilers of the Sea by Victor Hugo

The Toilers of the Sea (1866)

by Victor Hugo

8891914,402 (3.93)1 / 117
    The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Another classic pitting man vs nature in an ocean setting.
    The Book of Ebenezer Le Page by G. B. Edwards (Widsith)
    Widsith: Two sprawling tales of Guernsey life, one from the great French Romantic master and one from a neo-Romantic native Guernseyman.

English (17)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (19)
355/1500 ( )
  Drfreddy94 | Jul 17, 2018 |
Hugo wrote this book as a sort of nod to the isle of Guernsey for hosting him while he was in political disfavor in France. It is a love story to that island. I think at a younger age, I might have enjoyed it more, but I became impatient with it after trying to make progress for over a month.

Finally, I took the bull by the horns and decided to skim read; when I read the last few chapters, I was very glad I hadn't put any more time into it. Imagine Charles Dickens at his most maudlin. Was Victor Hugo paid by the word? You cannot imagine how many words he used to tell a very small thing. I will admit that he uses words charmingly, even cleverly, but so many! It's like trying to eat a huge dense fruitcake. Glad that's over. ( )
  MrsLee | Aug 28, 2017 |
(Two Volumes in One)
  lazysky | Oct 12, 2015 |
Not really a novel, more a prose poem with a plot. It's full of descriptive passages and meditations on the sea, the winds, and the people who live in these elements. It also has some wise things to say about human nature. On the other hand, the characterizations are perfunctory and the story is lumbering and predictable. It's a frame for the prose and nothing more, but the prose is impeccable, even diffused through the anonymous 19th century translation that I read. ( )
  le.vert.galant | Jan 26, 2015 |
Whew. Hard to get through without jettisoning all the flotsam. ( )
  Elpaca | May 1, 2013 |

Hugo, Victorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hogarth, JamesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palm, Johan M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robb, GrahamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Je dédie ce livre au rocher d'hospitalité et de liberté, à ce coin de vieille terre normande où vit le noble petit peuple de la mer, à l'île de Guernesey, sévère et douce, mon asile actuel, mon tombeau probable.

(I dedicate this book to the rock of hospitality and freedom, in the corner of the ancient Norman lands where the noble little people of the sea live, to the island of Guernsey, harsh and sweet, my current refuge, my likely resting place.)

The Christmas of 182– was a memorable day in Guernsey.

In 1855, fleeing political persecution, Victor Hugo found sanctuary on the Isle of Guernsey, among the most historic and picturesque of the Channel Islands. The legends and lore of the islands sparked Hugo's imagination, resulting in one of his most unusual works. Setting mythical, romantic, and social themes against a backdrop of memorable descriptions, The Toilers of the Sea is a novel of epic proportions, brought to light in a new Signet Classic edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:30 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,812,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible