Lasting Damage by Sophie Hannah

Lasting Damage (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Sophie Hannah

184None65,403 (3.51)10
Member:birdsam0610
Title:Lasting Damage
Authors:Sophie Hannah
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2011), Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:fiction, crime, thriller, murder, deception, england

Lasting Damage / The Other Woman's House by Sophie Hannah (2011)

Recently added bystorm109, private library, rushdog, Graziamanu, mkalech, earth2nanc2

This book begins with such an outrageous series of unlikely events that it seemed impossible that Sophie Hannah could pull it off. She does, though, with each odd happening explained in a way that fit the story. My only complaint is that in order to do so, she is forced to use the old-fashioned trick of having the baddie meticulously explain their nefarious plan as they hold the protagonist hostage.

Connie has been certain that her husband has a lover ever since she found the evidence in his car and nothing he can say or do can convince her otherwise. She obsesses about the woman she thinks he's having the affair with, spending hours following her around. When the woman's house is put up for sale, Connie takes the virtual tour on a real estate website, looking for evidence of her husband's presence in the house. Instead, she sees a murdered woman, briefly visible, in the house.

Hannah's strength is in writing well-plotted mysteries centered around a troubled protagonist. Her heroines aren't always easy to like, but they are always in the middle of something horrible, whether by design or accident. Connie is, by nature, nervous. Her family ties her in knots with their unspoken expectations. She can't leave her husband, but she can't trust him either. She's a mess. And then someone starts playing with her perceptions of things. This is a clever book, sometimes sacrificing authenticity for that cleverness, but it's a diverting and entertaining read. ( )
1 vote RidgewayGirl | Sep 22, 2013 |
This is such an involved mystery/psychological thriller. It is the story of Connie Bowskill and how her husband tries to make her think she is crazy and how she proves she is not. It is not a quick read as it involves a lot of twists and turns that the reader must come to terms with. I highly recommend this book to all who like this genre. ( )
  CandyH | Jun 8, 2013 |
Every reader her book, Every book its reader. This was just not the book for me. I was dazed and confused through most of it and put it down about 3/4 of the way through. It made no sense to me at all, going from past to present, first person, second and third persons... I did not like any of the characters. If I knew what was going on I would tell you. How do you go nuts from house hunting? anyway, I will never give just one star for a book because at some point some one shed blood sweat & tears for their "baby" and somewhere out there are people who will & do love this book so, having said that, this is a 2 star read...:( ( )
  annie.michelle | Mar 7, 2013 |
I’ve always wondered why Sophie Hannah isn’t more popular in Australia – she writes fantastic psychological thrillers that look at a case from both the victim and police point of view. They’re the type of thriller that keeps you reading through the night and into the early morning. Each book of hers is well researched and original. So why do many bookstores here stock only one (or none!) of her books? The only reason I found this book was because it was at the $5 bookstore. I hadn’t seen it elsewhere. It’s not cool – Sophie Hannah deserves a much wider audience, up there with Tess Gerritsen, Minette Walters and other thriller writers.

So why should you read this book? Apart from that it’s a darn fine read that questions the seemingly normal Connie Bowskill’s mental health, it’s different to other thrillers. We have alternate chapters from Connie, who thinks she saw a murdered woman in a real estate home open video, and the Spilling CID (mainly Simon and Charlie, but Sam plays a smaller role). This is the sixth book in the Spilling CID series, but it doesn’t matter which order you read them in (I’ve read them completely out of order depending on availability). The only thing that remains constant is the presence of the police characters (Simon and Charlie are the main ones). The crime and victims are always different.

Connie Bowskill is described by others as sensitive and nervous – someone who needs looking after. So when she sees the dead body on the screen and no one else can, her mind is called into question. Why would she be looking at for sale websites – she’s not planning on moving. Connie is certain of what she saw and starts researching on her own, culminating in a tense finale. The language focuses on the action, but the insight into the character’s thoughts and setting description are more detailed than many of the other books in this genre.

Some aspects of the plot are possibly a little too coincidental for real life, but that’s the beauty of fiction. All those seemingly disparate clues come together beautifully – it will have you thinking about how everything fitted together long after you closed the book. It’s suspenseful and some of the characters are delightfully creepy in their descriptions and actions. Connie in particular is a different character to judge – did she really see the dead body? Is this a call for attention or something more sinister? The way Connie’s family treats her is disgusting and as we see that, we start to think there might be something to it after all… I felt awful that I had been sucked into doubting Connie, but it’s also a very good skill that Hannah has to create empathy for a fairly weak-willed character.

Definitely one of the better thriller writers out there now, Sophie Hannah’s next book, The Carrier, will be released in Australia in February 2013.

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Jan 9, 2013 |
M Hannah
  coolmama | Oct 31, 2012 |
For 7GR
I'm going to be killed because of a family called the Gilpatricks.
Published 2011 as Lasting Damage (UK), republished in 2012 as The Other Woman's House (North America)

The latest psychological thriller from the internationally bestselling author of The Wrong Mother and The Cradle in the Grave

It's past midnight, but Connie Bowskill can't sleep. To pass the time, she logs on to a real estate website in search of a particular house, one she is obsessed with for reasons she's too scared to even admit to herself. As she clicks through the virtual tour, she comes across a scene from a nightmare: a woman lying facedown on the living room floor in a pool of blood. But when she returns to show her husband, there is no body, no blood—just a perfectly ordinary room, with a perfectly clean beige carpet.
The sixth book in Sophie Hannah’s beloved Zailer and Waterhouse series, The Other Woman’s House offers unforgettable suspense and a heart-stopping conclusion that Ruth Rendell and Tana French fans will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:56 -0400)

"It's past midnight, but Connie can't sleep. To pass the time, she logs onto a real estate website in search of a particular house, the address of which was mysteriously in the GPS of her car that afternoon. As she clicks through the virtual tour of 11 Bentley Grove, she's shocked to see the body of a woman, lying face down on the living room floor in a pool of blood. But when she returns to show her husband Kit moments later, there is no body, no blood- only an ordinary beige carpet in an ordinary living room. Once again featuring detectives Charlotte (Charlie) Zailer and Simon Waterhouse"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible