Lasting Damage by Sophie Hannah

Lasting Damage (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Sophie Hannah

1911862,147 (3.57)10
Member:birdsam0610
Title:Lasting Damage
Authors:Sophie Hannah
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2011), Paperback, 448 pages
Tags:fiction, crime, thriller, murder, deception, england

Lasting Damage / The Other Woman's House by Sophie Hannah (2011)

Sophie Hannah
The Other Womans House
3 1/2 Stars

I won this book from a giveaway on Goodreads.

First let me say I am pretty new to the thriller Genre. Second, this is the first Sophie Hannah book I've read.

This book had A LOT of potential, It is very interesting and I liked it a lot. My biggest complaint is the level of details and description in this book. I wont lie and say I read this book from beginning to end because I didn't. I skipped A lot because of all the darn descriptions. It felt at times the author went on and on.

Now for the actual story line. It was great. I liked it and I will be going back and trying out the first book of her CID series.
This is a psychological Thriller (my first one of this sort) It was a very chilling story. Like a side besides for all the descriptions and details Hannah did a wonderful job telling the story. She had me on the edge of my seat through this novel wondering what was going to happen next. The ending left me in total disbelief.

Can't wait to read her latest novel

I would recommend this book, But I would let whoever I recommend it to know that it could get a little boring at times, but the excitement does pick up ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
Sophie Hannah
The Other Womans House
3 1/2 Stars

I won this book from a giveaway on Goodreads.

Can't wait to read her latest novel

Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
This novel begins with an intriguing glimpse of scary events to come before stepping back seven days to relative normality and immediately grabs the reader’s attention: you can’t help but wonder how we are going to get from point A to point B in just a week. I admired the author’s skill and worried just a teeny bit that the answer to that question might turn out to be a let-down.

The protagonist, Connie, sees something highly gruesome while browsing a property website, and is dismissed as delusional when nobody else can see it. Connie comes across as unhinged, but given her insufferable, suffocating family she can probably be forgiven. The bits with the parents and sister in were my favourites – brilliant, brilliant characters. Connie observes at one point that her mother could be replaced with a robot and nobody would notice “as long as they remembered to programme enough clichés into the machine's vocabulary”!

The other characters are mostly police officers. What a lot of them there were, all seemingly occupying more space in the novel than their role in the plot warranted. They confused me with their blokey banter and in-jokes. Then, when I had been reading the novel a day or so and went online to put it on my “currently reading” list on here, I realised it is the latest in a series all featuring these cops. Everything fitted into place, including the in-jokes, and my enjoyment of it suffered a little. How many spoilers was I ingesting without knowing it? Because I knew I was going to want to go on and read this author’s earlier work if the quality was as high as this one. It got to the point where I actually skipped a section in the middle where two of the cops were discussing some event from a previous novel. I so so so wish publishers would put a number on the spine to indicate that there’s a series going on. That’s one gripe.

My other gripe is the ending. [Possible spoiler territory but no plot details revealed] Yes we got from Point A to Point B. Yes it was all explained. But in what excruciating, brain-knotting detail. It felt a bit like when you’re packing up your groceries in the supermarket in an inadequate carrier bag. You try to knot the handles to keep it all in, but somewhere along the way it gets holed at the bottom and before you know it cans of beans are falling out and there are onions rolling around in the gutter. No matter how hard you try to keep everything in, it springs a leak somewhere else. So it was here, there seemed to be endless ‘but why did you do such and such’ questions, with endless complicated explanations, as though the story had been made as exciting as possible for the reader at the cost of its grip on reality. Too much reliance on people ‘just knowing’ that someone will act in a particular way, and policemen who practically have second sight. Great story, but it was a story: it wasn’t real. ( )
  jayne_charles | May 21, 2014 |
I love a mystery where the answer is always just around the next page. I like not knowing what is coming next. I can see how Hannah would be the pick to write a new Hercule Poirot mystery novel. She definitely would draw comparisons to Agatha! ( )
  ElizabethBevins | May 6, 2014 |
This book begins with such an outrageous series of unlikely events that it seemed impossible that Sophie Hannah could pull it off. She does, though, with each odd happening explained in a way that fit the story. My only complaint is that in order to do so, she is forced to use the old-fashioned trick of having the baddie meticulously explain their nefarious plan as they hold the protagonist hostage.

Connie has been certain that her husband has a lover ever since she found the evidence in his car and nothing he can say or do can convince her otherwise. She obsesses about the woman she thinks he's having the affair with, spending hours following her around. When the woman's house is put up for sale, Connie takes the virtual tour on a real estate website, looking for evidence of her husband's presence in the house. Instead, she sees a murdered woman, briefly visible, in the house.

Hannah's strength is in writing well-plotted mysteries centered around a troubled protagonist. Her heroines aren't always easy to like, but they are always in the middle of something horrible, whether by design or accident. Connie is, by nature, nervous. Her family ties her in knots with their unspoken expectations. She can't leave her husband, but she can't trust him either. She's a mess. And then someone starts playing with her perceptions of things. This is a clever book, sometimes sacrificing authenticity for that cleverness, but it's a diverting and entertaining read. ( )
2 vote RidgewayGirl | Sep 22, 2013 |
For 7GR
I'm going to be killed because of a family called the Gilpatricks.
Published 2011 as Lasting Damage (UK), republished in 2012 as The Other Woman's House (North America)

The latest psychological thriller from the internationally bestselling author of The Wrong Mother and The Cradle in the Grave

It's past midnight, but Connie Bowskill can't sleep. To pass the time, she logs on to a real estate website in search of a particular house, one she is obsessed with for reasons she's too scared to even admit to herself. As she clicks through the virtual tour, she comes across a scene from a nightmare: a woman lying facedown on the living room floor in a pool of blood. But when she returns to show her husband, there is no body, no blood—just a perfectly ordinary room, with a perfectly clean beige carpet.
The sixth book in Sophie Hannah’s beloved Zailer and Waterhouse series, The Other Woman’s House offers unforgettable suspense and a heart-stopping conclusion that Ruth Rendell and Tana French fans will love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:56 -0400)

"It's past midnight, but Connie can't sleep. To pass the time, she logs onto a real estate website in search of a particular house, the address of which was mysteriously in the GPS of her car that afternoon. As she clicks through the virtual tour of 11 Bentley Grove, she's shocked to see the body of a woman, lying face down on the living room floor in a pool of blood. But when she returns to show her husband Kit moments later, there is no body, no blood- only an ordinary beige carpet in an ordinary living room. Once again featuring detectives Charlotte (Charlie) Zailer and Simon Waterhouse"--… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible