The homecoming of Samuel Lake : a novel by…

The homecoming of Samuel Lake : a novel (edition 2011)

by Jenny Wingfield

3919127,416 (4.14)1 / 29
Member:sjmccreary
Title:The homecoming of Samuel Lake : a novel
Authors:Jenny Wingfield
Info:New York : Dial Press, 2011.
Collections:Wishlist, Odds Are
Tags:tloeffler, fiction

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake: A Novel by Jenny Wingfield

English (92)  Dutch (1)  All (93)
WOW. I just finished this novel tonight. I borrowed a Kindle edition from my local library; suffice to say that I immediately purchased it as soon as I was done reading, for I know that this is a book that I will reread several times. This is a book to which one returns.

Since others have described the plot, I won't repeat that info. The writing is compelling. The characters are well-drawn and realistic, whether they're portrayed as quirkly, endearing, heartbreakingly vulnerable, or evil beyond all comprehension.

This book can be read quickly, but don't be fooled ... There is genuine depth here. I purposely slowed down my reading to savor this novel, for I didn't want it to end too quickly. I highlighted a number of passages for rereading.

There are some quite violent scenes in this novel, and these scenes involve children and animals. Be prepared; they are difficult to read. However, they are handled with restraint and are not lurid, but truly necessary to the plot. Similarly, the occasional sexually intimate scenes are handled mostly by allusions, and with much concern for the tenderness of the emotions involved.. (The author of Fifty Shades could take some lessons here.)

Do yourself a favor and read this book!
  Annesq | Feb 13, 2017 |
Excellent book, highly recommended! This will definitely be on my favorite reads this year

Wingfield created compelling and endearing characters, ones you'll fall in love with, especially 11 yr old Swan. It's a riveting story, set in the 1950s south, that explores the themes of good vs evil, family, and faith, all done with a touch of humor.

I've seen it compared to To Kill A Mockingbird but in my opinion this book stands on its own merits and comparisons are unnecessary. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
The Homecoming of Samuel Lake – Jenny Wingfield
4 stars
Chapter 1. Columbia County, Arkansas. 1956. Samuel Lake, sometime Methodist preacher, has come home with his family for a reunion. Family reunions are a great place to meet the characters. Family reunions are a good place to tell the back story. This family reunion is the inevitable setting for the first family tragedy from which all the pieces begin to fall.

Samuel, his wife, Willadee, and his three children take up temporary residence with Willadee’s very recently widowed mother. Of the three children, two boys and a girl, the standout is definitely Swan. Swan Lake. Swan and her brothers become attached to their Uncle Toy, a traumatized, partial amputee veteran of WW2. No one becomes attached to Toy’s narcissistic wife, Bernice. The Moses family home is divided between two businesses, a gas and grocery store on one side and a bar called Never Closes on the other. Most of the colorful characters of the little town pass through at one time or another. Enter the villain of the piece, Ras Ballenger and his much abused son, Blade.

This story is reminiscent of Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café.Similar, but by no means a pale copy. Swan Lake rivals Falvia DeLuce in imagination and could stand up for justice with Scout and Atticus. All of Wingfield’s characters have their own depth and complexity. The action is suspenseful with just the right mix of humor to lighten the stress. A warning to sensitive readers: the story does include animal and child abuse. It hurt me to read it, but I did not feel it was overly graphic. The ending is sad, and hopeful, and exactly right.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Homecoming of Samuel Lake is the kind of book that will stay with me a long time. The characters are so realistic and likable that I had to stop reading the book before bed because when bad things happened to the characters it upset me so much that I couldn't sleep. Not many books are this powerful. ( )
  Electablue | Apr 20, 2016 |
my book club loved this book! I am copying Library Journal's review: "This novel touches on many genres,- family life, Christian fiction, coming-of-age and suspense, readers will love it!" yes!! read it! ( )
  amanaceerdh | Jun 23, 2015 |

A bewitching debut novel in the vein of the much-loved classic Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe. It's 1956 and Samuel Lake, a handsome preacher, is voted out of his ministry by yet another congregation, disappointed by his relentless pleas for them to live more charitable lives. Out of options and out of pocket, Samuel and his family are forced to move in with their Arkansas in-laws, the rambunctious Moses clan. At first they thrive in the unruly sea of relatives -- Willa, Samuel's wife, runs the bar for Grandma Calla, while the boys, Noble and Bienville, run riot through the surrounding countryside. But when Swan, their formidable but loveable 11-year-old tomboy, crosses the path of neighbour Raz Ballenger, things take a turn for the worse. Raz Ballenger, horse trainer, is a man who rules both his family and his animals through terror. Used to instant obedience, he is insulted when Swan leaps to his son's defence, an act that sets a whole chain of unexpected and terrible events into motion!

The rigid moral codes held by mid-twentieth-century preacher Samuel Lake are called into question when his twelve-year-old daughter and his neighbors hide a young boy from his abusive father, a man who lashes out at the community when he learns about thedeception.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,643,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible