The homecoming of Samuel Lake : a novel by…

The homecoming of Samuel Lake : a novel (edition 2011)

by Jenny Wingfield

305None37,582 (4.16)1 / 27
Member:sjmccreary
Title:The homecoming of Samuel Lake : a novel
Authors:Jenny Wingfield
Info:New York : Dial Press, 2011.
Collections:Wishlist, Odds Are
Tags:tloeffler, fiction

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake: A Novel by Jenny Wingfield

English (89)  Dutch (1)  All languages (90)
This is a gem if a book! It will be one of my faves of this year come the ending December! Jenny outdid herself; created lovely characters! They will stick with me forever! ( )
  | Mar 19, 2014 | edit |
  | Mar 19, 2014 | edit |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did not find this book as wonderful as others have, it was well written but I could not stay interested in it. The characters were strange and I did not find them endearing. There was much more darkness than I was expecting based on the descriptions of the book I had heard. Overall, I found it to be a depressing book.

I received a copy of this book through the Library Thing Early Reviewer program. ( )
  Jamilyn | Jan 21, 2014 |
A bit slow in the middle but quickly speeds up. Beautiful writing, characters and story. The twists are amazing.
  Rebecca_Hail | Aug 22, 2013 |
Every time I thought I knew what this book was about and where it was heading, the story took another twist. The characters were very human- some were likeable, some were not, but they were all real and three-dimensional. I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoy's John Irving's work. ( )
  Maggie.Evans | Aug 1, 2013 |

A bewitching debut novel in the vein of the much-loved classic Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Cafe. It's 1956 and Samuel Lake, a handsome preacher, is voted out of his ministry by yet another congregation, disappointed by his relentless pleas for them to live more charitable lives. Out of options and out of pocket, Samuel and his family are forced to move in with their Arkansas in-laws, the rambunctious Moses clan. At first they thrive in the unruly sea of relatives -- Willa, Samuel's wife, runs the bar for Grandma Calla, while the boys, Noble and Bienville, run riot through the surrounding countryside. But when Swan, their formidable but loveable 11-year-old tomboy, crosses the path of neighbour Raz Ballenger, things take a turn for the worse. Raz Ballenger, horse trainer, is a man who rules both his family and his animals through terror. Used to instant obedience, he is insulted when Swan leaps to his son's defence, an act that sets a whole chain of unexpected and terrible events into motion!

The rigid moral codes held by mid-twentieth-century preacher Samuel Lake are called into question when his twelve-year-old daughter and his neighbors hide a young boy from his abusive father, a man who lashes out at the community when he learns about thedeception.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,476,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible