The Midwife's Confession by Diane…

The Midwife's Confession

by Diane Chamberlain

I read this book as a book club selection. I see it as not only having a little bit of mystery but as a psychological study. Family relationships and friendships take center stage but the characters in the book do not always make the best choices in these relationships and one has to pause to ask why. Even so, the book is a fast read that keeps one turning the pages to the end. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
This was a good book. It did not blow me away, however, I will tell you that I "thought" that I had it all figured out at the very beginning. I was pleasently surprised at the unpredictable twist at the end. ( )
  PamV | Mar 27, 2018 |
rabck from MyssCyn; so good I couldn't put it down. Noelle is a single midwife who commits suicide. Her close friends Tara and Emerson can't wrap their heads around why. A few weeks after the funeral, even more disturbing news surfaces - Noelle stopping practicing midwifery and the autopsy showed that she had been pregnant in the past. Going through her things, Emerson finds a letter started to "Anna". The clues keeps circling - Noelle had been a surrogate 5 times, and Anna had a missing child? Pieces fall into place in the end in a surprise ending. ( )
  nancynova | Dec 18, 2017 |
Started out a little confusing; I had to write down the list of characters & their relationships. But interesting & I finished it in I think 3 nites. (Perhaps 2). -- 3 good friends, one commits suicide which leads to all sorts of things they didn't know about each other & their lives. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Oct 28, 2017 |
The Midwife's Confession is the second novel I've read by Diane Chamberlain. I criticized the first, Secrets She Left Behind, for covering too many topics. Confession also had many topics thrown at the reader, but this time they worked. The writing was tighter in this book and the topics connected. They are all directly or indirectly about relationships between parents and children. But the most important reason this book works so well is the powerful confession itself. No spoilers here. If you want to know what it is, you need to read the book.

Chamberlain's characters are strong. She seems to have a solid understanding of how thirteen year-old girls think and how they relate to their mothers. There are a few coincidences and events that occur at precisely the right time to advance the plot, but the overall story is a great one. It caught me and kept me reading.

Steve Lindahl – author of Hopatcong Vision Quest, White Horse Regressions, and Motherless Soul ( )
  SteveLindahl | Sep 5, 2017 |

Dear Anna,

What I have to tell you is difficult to write, but I know it will be far more difficult for you to hear, and I'm so sorry…

The unfinished letter is the only clue Tara and Emerson have to the reason behind their close friend Noelle's suicide. Everything they knew about Noelle—her calling as a midwife, her passion for causes, her love for her friends and family—described a woman who embraced life.

Yet there was so much they didn't know.

With the discovery of the letter and its heartbreaking secret, Noelle's friends begin to uncover the truth about this complex woman who touched each of their lives—and the life of a desperate stranger—with love and betrayal, compassion and deceit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:02 -0400)

"'Dear Anna, What I have to tell you is difficult to write, but I know it will be far more difficult for you to hear, and I'm so sorry...' The unfinished letter is the only clue Tara and Emerson have to the reason behind their close friend Noelle's suicide. Everything they knew about Noelle--her calling as a midwife, her passion for causes, her love for her friends and family--described a woman who embraced life. Yet there was so much they didn't know..."--P. [2] of cover.… (more)

Diane Chamberlain is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,363,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible