The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

The Song of Achilles (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Madeline Miller (Author)

1,9531673,485 (4.11)3 / 663
Member:christiguc
Title:The Song of Achilles
Authors:Madeline Miller (Author)
Info:London: Bloomsbury, 2011.
Tags:fiction, female author, american, greece, ancient greece, troy, historical fiction, greek mythology, war, trojan war, bloomsbury, bookshelf16, fbn, read2012, TIOLI, best of quarter

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (2011)

The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus (Myths, The) by Margaret Atwood (1morechapter)
    The King Must Die by Mary Renault (wrmjr66)
    The Mask of Apollo by Mary Renault (shaunie)
    The Persian Boy by Mary Renault (emanate28)
    emanate28: Maybe they are too similar... But both The Persian Boy and The Song of Achilles are heartbreaking and beautiful stories of legendary heroes told from the perspective of their devoted boy lovers. The ancient heroes come alive and one is transported back into those times.… (more)
    The Iliad by Homer (alalba)
    Ransom by David Malouf (jbvm)
    An Arrow's Flight: A Novel by Mark Merlis (marq)
    marq: Mark Merlis also takes up the story of Pyrrhus (or Neoptolemus), Achilles’ son with Deidamia when he was in disguise as a woman on Scyros. A very different kind of novel, steampunk, wild anachronism, graphically homoerotic, brilliant.
    Alcestis by Katharine Beutner (rarm)
    Grendel by John Gardner (fugitive)
    fugitive: Another brilliantly retold classic by a modern author.
    The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar narrative idea
    The Love Artist by Jane Alison (jbvm)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Because Song of Achilles is Homer's Illiad as a Twilight novel. Sorry.

English (163)  Dutch (3)  English (1)  English (167)
Really 3 1/2 stars.

A slow beginning, but very gripping toward the end. I liked the idea of Briseis, but I do wish that she had been fleshed out more, especially given the dearth of female characters. The voice was not very distinctive; it was self-consciously arty and sounded very much like a voice I'd heard before. And it made little sense for the viewpoint character. But I liked the story itself very much. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Let me tell you a story.

I had a few pages left of this book. Boss comes over to ask what I am reading. I tell her. She asks me if it's good. I burst into tears.

...if that is any indication of how much I loved this book. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
Let me tell you a story.

...if that is any indication of how much I loved this book. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
As a trained classicist, Miller has done a remarkable job of writing a prequel to the Illiad focusing upon the homosexual relationship between Achilles and Patroclus which is only hinted at in the Illiad. Engaging and well written, the story is a nuanced telling of a blossoming love between Achilles, the Greek hero, and his boyhood companion, Patroclus, an exiled prince. The novel also explores the love for a child by parents and the rare love between a king and queen in arranged marriages. A prose narrative told from the perspective of Patrolcus makes for an interesting and novel conceit. ( )
  MitchChabraja | Oct 7, 2016 |
Yes, this pulled me in like Mary Renault's books used to. No, I don't understand why. ( )
1 vote MarthaJeanne | Sep 14, 2016 |
That The Song of Achilles offers a different take on the epic story of Achilles and the Trojan War is not, in itself, anything particularly out of the ordinary. People have been putting their own spins on The Iliad from the instant Homer finished reciting it. What's startling about this sharply written, cleverly re-imagined, enormously promising debut novel from Madeline Miller is how fresh and moving her take on the tale is — how she has managed to bring Achilles and his companion Patroclus to life in our time without removing them from their own.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Robert Bianco (Mar 12, 2012)

But in the case of Miller, who earned undergraduate and graduate degrees in classics at Brown, the epic reach exceeds her technical grasp. The result is a book that has the head of a young adult novel, the body of the “Iliad” and the hindquarters of Barbara Cartland.

Madeline Millerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Douglas, FrazerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saltzman, AllisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorpe, DavidReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

To my mother Madeline, and Nathaniel
My father was a king and the son of kings.

Short introduction

To the classic Iliad

With misplaced passion.

(legallypuzzled)

Patroclus, an awkward young prince, follows Achilles into war, little knowing that the years that follow will test everything they have learned, everything they hold dear. And that, before he is ready, he will be forced to surrender his friend to the hands of Fate. Set during the Trojan War.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,613,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible