Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

Song of Achilles (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Madeline Miller

1,7371574,076 (4.12)3 / 645
Member:aarti
Title:Song of Achilles
Authors:Madeline Miller
Info:Bloomsbury UK (2012), Paperback, 368 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Historical Fiction, E-Book, Greece, Ancient History, Mythology, LGBT, 2012, War, Romance

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (2011)

The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus by Margaret Atwood (1morechapter)
    The King Must Die by Mary Renault (wrmjr66)
    The Mask of Apollo by Mary Renault (shaunie)
    The Iliad by Homer (alalba)
    Ransom by David Malouf (jbvm)
    An Arrow's Flight: A Novel by Mark Merlis (marq)
    marq: Mark Merlis also takes up the story of Pyrrhus (or Neoptolemus), Achilles’ son with Deidamia when he was in disguise as a woman on Scyros. A very different kind of novel, steampunk, wild anachronism, graphically homoerotic, brilliant.
    Grendel by John Gardner (fugitive)
    fugitive: Another brilliantly retold classic by a modern author.
    The Secret Chord: A Novel by Geraldine Brooks (novelcommentary)
    novelcommentary: Similar narrative idea
    The Love Artist by Jane Alison (jbvm)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Because Song of Achilles is Homer's Illiad as a Twilight novel. Sorry.

A great adaptation of the Iliad. Pretty much unforgettable. However, any future reader should know there is nudity and sex, because I didn't know until I read it. ( )
  ElizabethJoseph | Feb 10, 2016 |
Well...I really wanted to like this book a lot. While I feel like I have a somewhat better/different sense of the events of The Iliad, I found it very difficult to become particularly attached the characters in Song of Achilles. Until close to the end when he started to find something really useful to do with himself Patroclus, our narrator, seemed to just be hanging around to see what Achilles was going to do. I think if that character had been a woman, a lot of people's heads would have exploded because she was so passive.

Achilles on the other hand was apparently great because he was Achilles. Well trained and there was The Prophecy or prophecies I guess, but nothing much else to recommend him that I could see.

Those who have been better students of the Classics than I have might appreciate this book a bit more, and it certainly is well written. ( )

CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
‘Song of Achilles’ is so enjoyable- mystical and poignant. The story flows so naturally, breathing a very modern life into the legend. This was one of my great joys in reading this year. There is a lightness and tenderness to the love story between Patroclus and Achilles that is achingly beautiful. While a myth retold, this story is all too human. I loved this book. There is such innocence and glory in the tale, which I found very moving. ( )
  Alidawn | Jan 29, 2016 |
That The Song of Achilles offers a different take on the epic story of Achilles and the Trojan War is not, in itself, anything particularly out of the ordinary. People have been putting their own spins on The Iliad from the instant Homer finished reciting it. What's startling about this sharply written, cleverly re-imagined, enormously promising debut novel from Madeline Miller is how fresh and moving her take on the tale is — how she has managed to bring Achilles and his companion Patroclus to life in our time without removing them from their own.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Robert Bianco (Mar 12, 2012)

But in the case of Miller, who earned undergraduate and graduate degrees in classics at Brown, the epic reach exceeds her technical grasp. The result is a book that has the head of a young adult novel, the body of the “Iliad” and the hindquarters of Barbara Cartland.

Madeline Millerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Douglas, FrazerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saltzman, AllisonCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thorpe, DavidReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Windgassen, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

To my mother Madeline, and Nathaniel
My father was a king and the son of kings.

Short introduction

To the classic Iliad

With misplaced passion.

(legallypuzzled)

Patroclus, an awkward young prince, follows Achilles into war, little knowing that the years that follow will test everything they have learned, everything they hold dear. And that, before he is ready, he will be forced to surrender his friend to the hands of Fate. Set during the Trojan War.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,194,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible