This Dark Endeavor: The Apprenticeship of…

This Dark Endeavor: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein

by Kenneth Oppel

Such Wicked Intent: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, Book Two by Kenneth Oppel (SmithSJ01)
    SmithSJ01: This is the second prequel
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Readers who enjoyed Kenneth Oppel's prequel to the Frankenstein tale may enjoy Shelley's original tale.

RGG: Not sure it's enough of a page-turner for most readers, but is in the gothic horror style. Reading Interest: 12- YA.
  rgruberexcel | Jan 2, 2017 |
  rgruberexcel | Jan 2, 2017 |
I wanted to give this 2 stars but I think I have it an unfair hands considering this was the first book I read after Vicious. It wasn't terrible, but it felt a little formulaic and cyclical in terms of plot, but. It was okay. Not wow worthy. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
This was an obvious finish to the story. I could for see the ending from the first chapter . . .soooo It's a NO on this one
  MrNattania | Oct 29, 2016 |
Victor Frankenstein has always felt slightly overshadowed by his elder twin brother Konrad. Konrad is kinder, more intelligent and stronger than Victor and is loved and admired by the whole household, family and servants alike, in a way that Victor knows he never will be. But when Konrad falls dangerously ill with a seemingly uncurable fever, Victor knows that he will do anything to make his brother well again and against the wishes of his parents he starts to dabble in alchemy, trying to concoct an Elixir of Life that will make Konrad well again.

Kenneth Oppel has written a prequel to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, featuring a young Victor Frankenstein at 16. I have read the original Frankenstein before but it was some time ago and I don't think you need to have read it to enjoy this prequel.

I thought Oppel did a really good job with the characters of Victor and Konrad Frankenstein. We know Victor Frankenstein isn't exactly a saint as an adult and you can see the beginnings of this in the arrogance and jealousy that Victor exhibits as a young man. It would be all too easy for Oppel to have made Victor a very unlikeable character as young man but he's managed to show enough of a dark side to Victor to make it believable that he becomes the adult Victor Frankenstein but there's also enough of a good side to him to make him a character we can sympathise with. Again, Konrad is clearly the nicer of the two twins but not so nice and good that you end up disliking him or finding him annoying.

After a bit of a slow start I found myself more and more drawn in to this gothic tale. Once I got to the last 70 pages or so I really couldn't put the book down. This is apparently the first of two books about young Victor Frankenstein and although most readers will be pleased to hear that the first book doesn't end with a cliff-hanger ending, there's still plenty of scope left for a second book. I really enjoyed reading this and it's made me want to reread Mary Shelley's original Frankenstein. I hope it also inspires young people to go on to read that great gothic classic for the first time.

Is a (non-series) prequel to

For Philippa
We found the monster on a rocky ledge high above the lake.

In this prequel to Mary Shelley's gothic classic, Frankenstein, 16-year-old Victor Frankenstein begins a dark journey that will change his life forever. Victor's twin, Konrad, has fallen ill, and no doctor is able to cure him. Unwilling to give up on his brother, Victor enlists his beautiful cousin Elizabeth and best friend Henry on a treacherous search for the ingredients to create the forbidden Elixir of Life. Impossible odds, dangerous alchemy and a bitter love triangle threaten their quest at every turn.
Victor knows he must not fail. But his success depends on how far he is willing to push the boundaries of nature, science, and love - and how much he is willing to sacrifice.
Victor Frankenstein
Hopes that the Elixir of
Life will save his twin.
(passion4reading)

When his twin brother falls ill in the family's chateau in the independent republic of Geneva in the eighteenth century, sixteen-year-old Victor Frankenstein embarks on a dangerous and uncertain quest to create the forbidden Elixir of Life described in an ancient text in the family's secret Biblioteka Obscura.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,784,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible