Three Sisters (The Emily Castles Mysteries)…

Three Sisters (The Emily Castles Mysteries) (edition 2011)

by Helen Smith

Member:rretzler
Title:Three Sisters (The Emily Castles Mysteries)
Authors:Helen Smith
Info:Tyger Books (2011), Kindle Edition, 44 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Kindle
Rating:**
Tags:mystery, castles, smith, 2013

Three Sisters by Helen Smith

Three Sisters is a jewel in the short mystery story genre. Author Helen Smith uses wit, humor and eccentric characters to deliver a unique murder mystery. Emily is invited to a party at her neighbor’s house shortly after her dog Jessie passes away. Looking to make new friends and take a break from mourning her beloved pet, Emily decides to attend the party even though she does not really know her neighbors. Armed with food and drink Emily heads over to the party to find that her neighbors are walking on stilts and juggling fire. Emily discovers that she is in for interesting night.

Smith’s talent for creating unique characters is displayed in the range of personalities exhibited by the characters in this book. I love the humor injected throughout the story and how the plot unfolds with excellent timing. The writing is fluid, the characters exciting and the plot engrossing. This is a lighthearted book that will captivate and entertain. Highly recommend! ( )
  Raymy | Aug 4, 2014 |
Three Sisters is a fun and entertaining short story. When Emily loses her lovable dog Jessie she realizes she needs some cheering up. She accepts an invitation to a party at her neighbor’s house despite the fact that she doesn’t really know her neighbors. A little apprehensive but ready to make new friends Emily takes her cheesy potato bake and sets out for the party. Immediately her attention is focused on the eccentric nature of the party and the people. But meeting circus people will not be the only interesting thing to happen tonight.

Author Helen Smith brings her story to life with colorful characters, engaging dialogue, vivid scenery and an intriguing plot. Her similes are brilliant and full of humor. Emily is a fully developed character with a great personality. This is my first Helen Smith story and I am looking forward to more. I highly recommend it! ( )
  AllyMcMahon | Aug 3, 2014 |
3.5 / 5

This was a fast, light, entertaining read that I finished very quickly.

Emily Castles attends a neighbourhood party at a large house occupied by a collection of performance artists. During the party strange happenings begin to occur. Are they just part of the entertainment or is something more sinister afoot? Emily thinks the latter, but no-one else believes her, and her noseying around soon puts her in danger.

Emily makes an appealing amateur sleuth. She’s observant, determined, and funny at times. This droll novella reminded me a little of a Barbara Pym novel, but it was a bit too short to properly engage me. I didn’t know much about Emily, apart from the fact that she recently lost a beloved dog, and that prevented me from really caring about her.

ColeenKwan | Feb 25, 2014 |
This is a dual review for both Three Sisters and Showstoppers

“Everything was on the spectrum from brown to cream, and the overall effect was a sepia-toned display that had been put together by someone nostalgic for a time before Britons had learned to cook, but after they had learned to shop at supermarkets.” - Three Sisters

A good mystery should read like a good magic show. Full of flash, curiosity, misdirects and in the end leave you wanting for more. We may learn what we think is the true outcome, the solving of a crime, but we will never know all of what was behind the curtain. It is what makes us pick up the next book in the series. Helen Smith has done this for me with these two novella’s. I want more and more Emily Castle adventures!

I never get tired of a good mystery. A mystery must keep me guessing, be written with a flair for the flamboyant (despite the blandness of colours on the buffet table) and keep me biting my nails till the end. Whatever mystery I am reading must have a unique protagonist combined with a cast of other intriguing characters. It should draw me in and make me part of the sleuthing. Though I have been want to read the new sub-genre of a cozy*, I will forever be a fan of Agatha Christie and Sir Author Conan Doyle. Classical mysteries at their finest.

“The south London sky exploded with a thousand deaths that night“ – Three Sisters
What makes me adore and driven with the need to send threatening e-mails for more more and more Emily Castles Mysteries is the combination of both the classical mystery, the cozy style (because she is an independent female and very smart) and a writing style which is reminiscent of a Hard Boiled Raymond Chandler (several metaphors and allegorical content remind me of The Big Sleep) and sublimeness of David Foster Wallace. The description of the buffet table is just a small example of the beautiful and poetic writing style of the author. I could see the table full of food and feel just as washed out as she was feeling. Each step was a hint, and a hint either leading you towards solving the mystery or down a dead-end.

How she managed to pull this off in under 50 pages with each book is beyond me. It works though, all aspects and conventions of the Mystery genre are not only intact but are more powerful than some of the full length novels I have read. They do not give you time to take a breath, it was non-stop reading with each and the stories kept me hopping. As with their length, Ellen has a shortened period of time to solve this mystery, whether stated or suggested. The surreal evening of Bonfire night (Guy Fawkes night) is a ticking bomb, the party is almost a traveling circus, a side-show pulling up in a covered wagon and pouring out with entertainers that could not possibly all fit inside. Three Sisters is like the wagon, so many distractions it is hard to keep up with what is going on and I felt like I was spinning in circles, despite the title which had me figuring out the main mystery, there were still tons of other blanks I had to fill.

“Sunlight streamed from the tall windows along the corridor and dripped coppery highlights into Victoria’s plaits and Dolly’s liquorice-coloured curly hair; a woman dressed as a child from a story about a tornado induced dream…” Showstopper
Moving onto Showstoppers, Emily is just coming up for air after the Bonfire party. We have several of the characters introduced in Three Sisters who are fleshed out. Emily seems to be coming into her own after the loss of a loved one and her constant temporary state of living. It is another race of the clock, but this time she has to engage with her neighbors, put herself out there more and trust in a few other people as well as own instincts.

These two novella’s, for me a mystery buff at heart (I have my complete Nancy Drew collection to prove it) were the perfect vehicle to drive new fans into a the “bated breath” stage of wait. If you love a good stand alone mystery heroine who has a love for dogs, has not figured out where she fits in life and is a bit too traditional with a setting in a London we do not get to peak at with many other of these types stories.. pick these two stories up and keep tabs on each upcoming books. I hope we will get new adventures soon! ( )
  AKMamma | Nov 25, 2013 |
I received this book via LibraryThing's Member Giveaways.

This is a quirky little story that takes a bit of work to get the gist of what is going on. I liked that it wasn't very long so the mystery wasn't unnecessarily drawn out. I liked that the whodunnit aspect was straightforward.

Once I got into the story I found it charming and would read more of Emily's adventures. ( )
  leesalogic | Jun 22, 2013 |
For Brenda, Hans and Emily

IN MEMORY OF JESSIE

14th February 1993 - 13th October 2010
The south London sky exploded with a thousand deaths that night.

Three Sisters introduces twenty-six-year-old amateur sleuth Emily Castles in this popular new British mystery series.

Emily has been invited to a party in the big house at the end of her street in London. How could she know, as she left her house that evening, that she was making an appointment with death?

[retrieved 7/15/2013 from Amazon.com]

Helen Smith is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,438,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible