Three Sisters (The Emily Castles Mysteries)…

Three Sisters (The Emily Castles Mysteries) (edition 2011)

by Helen Smith

Member:rretzler
Title:Three Sisters (The Emily Castles Mysteries)
Authors:Helen Smith
Info:Tyger Books (2011), Kindle Edition, 44 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Kindle
Rating:**
Tags:mystery, castles, smith, 2013

Three Sisters by Helen Smith

Three Sisters introduces Emily Castle, an amateur detective, to readers. This is a short story that is fast-paced, entertaining, full of quirky characters, and delightful scene descriptions. Well worth a read if you're looking for an hour's entertainment. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Mar 2, 2015 |
4 STARS

Three Sisters is a British mystery novel. It is only 104 pages. It is a pretty good story. I did guess part of the mystery early. I liked Emily.

Emily likes mysteries. She is really feeling the loss of her dog. Which I can understand some of it.

I found it interesting that a group just moves into a empty house fixes it a little. They are having a big party and inviting everyone. It is Halloween and Guy Fawkes night. The group is a troupe of circus performers. Not sure what is real and what is just a act.

Emily sees one of the blindfolded knife thrower sisters get stabbed with a knife. The police are called and the dead girl stands up and says it was an act. Emily is not satisfied with the answer.

The setting is London, England at the end of Oct.

It is a clean read, some humor, some sadness. A interesting read as you try and figure out with Emily just what is going on. Who do you trust?

It would be interesting to see what happens next to Emily.

I was given this ebook to read by the author. In return I agreed to give a honest review of Three ( )
  rhonda1111 | Feb 21, 2015 |
Three Sisters is a jewel in the short mystery story genre. Author Helen Smith uses wit, humor and eccentric characters to deliver a unique murder mystery. Emily is invited to a party at her neighbor’s house shortly after her dog Jessie passes away. Looking to make new friends and take a break from mourning her beloved pet, Emily decides to attend the party even though she does not really know her neighbors. Armed with food and drink Emily heads over to the party to find that her neighbors are walking on stilts and juggling fire. Emily discovers that she is in for interesting night.

Smith’s talent for creating unique characters is displayed in the range of personalities exhibited by the characters in this book. I love the humor injected throughout the story and how the plot unfolds with excellent timing. The writing is fluid, the characters exciting and the plot engrossing. This is a lighthearted book that will captivate and entertain. Highly recommend! ( )
  Raymy | Aug 4, 2014 |
Three Sisters is a fun and entertaining short story. When Emily loses her lovable dog Jessie she realizes she needs some cheering up. She accepts an invitation to a party at her neighbor’s house despite the fact that she doesn’t really know her neighbors. A little apprehensive but ready to make new friends Emily takes her cheesy potato bake and sets out for the party. Immediately her attention is focused on the eccentric nature of the party and the people. But meeting circus people will not be the only interesting thing to happen tonight.

Author Helen Smith brings her story to life with colorful characters, engaging dialogue, vivid scenery and an intriguing plot. Her similes are brilliant and full of humor. Emily is a fully developed character with a great personality. This is my first Helen Smith story and I am looking forward to more. I highly recommend it! ( )
  AllyMcMahon | Aug 3, 2014 |
3.5 / 5

This was a fast, light, entertaining read that I finished very quickly.

Emily Castles attends a neighbourhood party at a large house occupied by a collection of performance artists. During the party strange happenings begin to occur. Are they just part of the entertainment or is something more sinister afoot? Emily thinks the latter, but no-one else believes her, and her noseying around soon puts her in danger.

Emily makes an appealing amateur sleuth. She’s observant, determined, and funny at times. This droll novella reminded me a little of a Barbara Pym novel, but it was a bit too short to properly engage me. I didn’t know much about Emily, apart from the fact that she recently lost a beloved dog, and that prevented me from really caring about her.

ColeenKwan | Feb 25, 2014 |
For Brenda, Hans and Emily

IN MEMORY OF JESSIE

14th February 1993 - 13th October 2010
The south London sky exploded with a thousand deaths that night.

Three Sisters introduces twenty-six-year-old amateur sleuth Emily Castles in this popular new British mystery series.

Emily has been invited to a party in the big house at the end of her street in London. How could she know, as she left her house that evening, that she was making an appointment with death?

[retrieved 7/15/2013 from Amazon.com]

Helen Smith is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,032,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible