Habibi by Craig Thompson

Info:Amsterdam Oog & Blik cop. 2011
Collections:strips, Read but unowned
Rating:***

Habibi by Craig Thompson

Recently added byogzozs, quirk89, SaraNoH, mirikayla, Snoek-Brown, private library, maysaaa, Salsabrarian, roninsb

English (62)  French (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (67)
Reviewed in Time mag
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This graphic novel is a feast. At the heart of the books is the story of Dodola and Zam, thrown together by chance, the two young orphans learn to care for each other. Though separated by circumstances, their love pulls them back together and finally they find their love. Around this core story a tapestry of stories is woven that are at the core of all three major religions originating from the Middle East, forming the common roots that binds together people forced apart by history. They mingle themes as diverse as fantasy, history, ecology, morality and religion. And what ties it all together into a wonderful whole is the stunning artwork, reminiscent of Islamic art with elements of Arabian calligraphy and ornamentation. A work to be savored. ( )
  sushicat | Jan 14, 2016 |
This tells the story of a young girl and a young boy that survive together in the desert, the story of a girl in a harem, the story of a boy who becomes a eunech, includes stories from the Qu'ran that show parallels to Christianity and so much more. There is a lot going on in this graphic novel and it does take time to get the hang of figuring out what characters are being followed when. However it was definitely well worth it as it was an amazing story. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
When I had finished reading Habibi, I thought, well, it's Orientalist, it's misogynist, but damn, he learned how to write Arabic calligraphy well. ... To my surprise, I discovered from reports of people who had seen Thompson read and discuss his work, that though he had learned the basics of the alphabet, the intricate calligraphy in the book was all traced from outside sources. ... But this is simply one more example of the shallowness that undergirds the entire work: a laudable impulse to learn more, to reverse prejudice, was followed by a lazy embrace of Burton over Said, of voyeurism over empowerment, and tracing over writing. Habibi is a beautiful book and a terrible book. I am grateful for how much it has offended me. I could almost burn it.

And that is Habibi’s ultimate strength. All its cleverness, all its density, all its intricacy, are brought together in the service of one simple but all-too-easily-forgotten point: There is no way through this life but with each other. That is the foundation for Thompson’s interlocking patterns, its self-evidence obscured from our view like the scratched-out shapes that form a letter. Thankfully we have a writer like Thompson around to focus our gaze.
added by Serviette | editNational Post, David Berry (Sep 23, 2011)

Habibi, which the eye perceives as a celebration of life force, settles in the mind as a campaign of punishment. Gaze upon its beauty and despair

"Sprawling across an epic landscape of deserts, harems, and modern industrial clutter, Habibi tells the tale of Dodola and Zam, refugee child slaves bound to each other by chance, by circumstance, and by the love that grows between them. We follow them as their lives unfold together and apart; as they struggle to make a place for themselves in a world (not unlike our own) fueled by fear, lust, and greed; and as they discover the extraordinary depth-- and frailty-- of their connection. At once contemporary and timeless, Habibi gives us a love story of astounding resonance: a parable about our relationship to the natural world, the cultural divide between the first and third worlds, the common heritage of Christianity and Islam, and, most potently, the magic of storytelling" -- dust jacket wrap.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,201,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible