A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

A Long, Long Sleep (edition 2013)

by Anna Sheehan

269None42,847 (3.94)13
Member:amongstories
Title:A Long, Long Sleep
Authors:Anna Sheehan
Info:Candlewick (2013), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:2013 read, fiction, futuristic, young adult, teens, library

A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

2012 (3) abuse (3) ARC (4) assassins (4) dystopia (14) ebook (8) fairy tale (7) fairy tales (5) fairy tales retold (9) fantasy (3) fiction (17) futuristic (4) Kindle (4) library (6) love (4) netgalley (5) novel (3) read (3) read in 2012 (5) retelling (7) robots (3) romance (8) science fiction (43) sf (6) sff (3) Sleeping Beauty (11) teen (5) to-read (24) YA (26) young adult (21)

Very touching book. Well written (at least in my opinion). I kinda read it quicky and will need to re-read it again some day. ( )
  halkeye | Feb 6, 2014 |
This book was fantastic. The descriptions of the story led me to believe it would be another romance centered story, but I was surprised to find this was not the case.

Romance, or perhaps love is a better word, features strongly in this story; but it is not marginalized by stereotyped romantic ideals. It is instead about varying types and degrees of love. It is about what happens in the absence of love and the consequences that occur because love is lacking or weak.

I adore Rose because she starts out very self critical, without being a martyr, and grows stronger throughout the story. I love her process of self-discovery. I appreciated the reality that Sheehan infused into all the characters involved in the "love" relationships.

My favorite character, after rose, is Otto. His humanity, despite the fact that he is not wholly human, intrigues me. His oddities make me want to know that rest of his story and how the friendship between him and Rose grows.

And the brilliance of this story is that it is post post-apocalyptic. It is set after humanity has totally descended into chaos, both physical and ethical, and then managed to rebound and come out the better for it. It may seem unrealistic, but it is nice to think if we totally bottomed out as a race we would pick up the peices AND learn from our mistakes. ( )
  Angelina-Justice | Feb 3, 2014 |
A Long, Long Sleep is a clever futuristic retelling of the story of Sleeping Beauty. The setting and the issues raised in the story are thought-provoking, and character development is strong. However, the ending feels a bit rushed and therefore is rather dissatisfying.

A must-read for fans of the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. ( )
  KayMackey | Jan 7, 2014 |
Actual rating: 3.5 stars (I think this is my default rating these days.) ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
I bought the Kindle version of this book when it was cheap, and it took me a long time to get into it. It was slow going at the beginning, but eventually picked up, and I very much enjoyed it as a whole. The story is a Sleeping Beauty retelling, with the main character Rose waking up after decades in 'stasis.' The whole world has obviously changed, going through a dark period when many people died, and Rose is the heir to what is now a massive interplanetary corporation. All of a sudden, Rose is thrown back into living, and then somebody is trying to kill her!

Fairy tale retellings are some of my favorite types of stories. And who can resist a book set in the future, with science fiction and dystopian elements? (In case it is not obvious, not me.) So when I sat down to read this book, I was very excited.

I got less so as I started. The story starts out slow, and I could not get into it at all. Rose, the main character, was dull, I didn't like any of the characters surrounding her, the world building seemed mediocre, and the danger to Rose was slow in coming. Luckily, it got better. I forced myself to keep reading, and I was definitely rewarded. The book picks up after a certain point, and I went from being way unengaged to not able to put it down levels of interest.

As you read, you discover why Rose seems dull, and the characters around her are fleshed out to people you want to learn more about. The level of intrigue grows, until you find out who would want to kill Rose, and why, and it turns out to be something you never would have guessed. Rose grows a lot as a character, and as you learn more about her, she makes sense and it is gratifying to watch her change. Her growth is clearly the focus of the book.

I also liked that this book is a single book, and not a first in a series. While it leaves open the possibility for more, it has a satisfying ending, with the story line tied up, not in a too perfect way, but in a realistic, doesn't leave any huge burning questions way.

A Long, Long Sleep is definitely worth the time, and a fun read. I would recommend it if you like young adult fiction and books with awesome characters. ( )
  kateminasian | Sep 23, 2013 |
For Drew, because he was my only and this was my first.
I’d try to hold on to my stass dreams as long as I could.

Sixteen-year-old Rosalinda Fitzroy, heir to the multiplanetary corporation UniCorp, is awakened after sixty years in stasis to find that everyone she knew has died and as she tries to make a new life for herself, learns she is the target of a robot assassin.… (more)

70 wanted3 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible