A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

A Long, Long Sleep (edition 2013)

by Anna Sheehan

Series: UniCorp (1)

Member:amongstories
Title:A Long, Long Sleep
Authors:Anna Sheehan
Info:Candlewick (2013), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:2013 read, fiction, futuristic, young adult, teens, library

A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

Science fiction for people who don't like science fiction.

This book was truly a great find, not the kind of thing I normally read. I had never heard of the Oregon author, Anna Sheehan, but hope to see at least one sequel before long. The story takes place at indefinite times in the future, presumably some time in the 21st century. 16 year old Rosalinda Fitzroy has been in a hibernation state for 62 years in a tube in the sub-basement of a house where her family once lived. The wakes up when kissed(just like Sleeping Beauty) by a young man named Brendan. Much has changed in the world since her time and Rosalinda at first assumes that her strict and powerful industrialist parents put her under for her own good, to protect her from the "dark times" of social unrest, plagues and famines. They were in the habit of "stassing" her throughout her childhood often to suit their own convenience. It turns out hat this is illegal--stasis is only supposed to be used for space travel or certain medical crises. Who knew? Each time she has lost time of course, causing her childhood to be prolonged. The longer Rosalinda is awake, the more reason she has to wonder about the motives of her parents and some of the others close to her, both in her old life and her new one.And of course, since she's not just any teenager, but heiress to an empire, she is at the center of a power struggle among people who would rather she'd have stayed out of the way. Of course she gets a lot of attention from the media. Most frightening of all is the Plastine--a robot assassin created from a human corpse that someone has sent to target her.
Like any kid, Rosalinda wants friends, misses Xavier, the boyfriend from her old life, wants to be loved for herself and not be an outside. Physically weak from decades in the stasis tube and out of touch with modern customs and trends, she struggles with interpersonal relationships. She's a gifted visual artist, but by her own admission, not very good at anything else. Her parents overprotective parenting style has left her lacking many life skills (except for personal defense, luckily) I found this a refreshing contrast to young heroes and heroines who are multi-talented, always brave and wise beyond their years. Though probably smarter than she gives herself credit for being, Rosalinda seems more like a real kid. The novel has a refreshing human-ness about it. It deals with various bio-ethical issues, including an experiment with alien-human hybrids that wasn't altogether successful.(Just as in our society, these technologies are often one or two steps ahead of a legal system attempting to sort it all out.) But unlike so many science fiction novels and thrillers, characters and their human motivations always take precedence over the science and technical babble. This isn't one of those books with pages of numbers, symbols, charts and diagrams. ( )
  ainsleytewce | Apr 19, 2015 |
Absolutely lovely! I loved the blend of shiny scifi and emotional heart. Though this isn't a time-travel book, the way it plays with interweaving lives reminded me a bit of another favorite, The Time-Traveller's Wife. This is one I want to buy for my personal library...! ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
I bought the Kindle version of this book when it was cheap, and it took me a long time to get into it. It was slow going at the beginning, but eventually picked up, and I very much enjoyed it as a whole. The story is a Sleeping Beauty retelling, with the main character Rose waking up after decades in 'stasis.' The whole world has obviously changed, going through a dark period when many people died, and Rose is the heir to what is now a massive interplanetary corporation. All of a sudden, Rose is thrown back into living, and then somebody is trying to kill her!

Fairy tale retellings are some of my favorite types of stories. And who can resist a book set in the future, with science fiction and dystopian elements? (In case it is not obvious, not me.) So when I sat down to read this book, I was very excited.

I got less so as I started. The story starts out slow, and I could not get into it at all. Rose, the main character, was dull, I didn't like any of the characters surrounding her, the world building seemed mediocre, and the danger to Rose was slow in coming. Luckily, it got better. I forced myself to keep reading, and I was definitely rewarded. The book picks up after a certain point, and I went from being way unengaged to not able to put it down levels of interest.

As you read, you discover why Rose seems dull, and the characters around her are fleshed out to people you want to learn more about. The level of intrigue grows, until you find out who would want to kill Rose, and why, and it turns out to be something you never would have guessed. Rose grows a lot as a character, and as you learn more about her, she makes sense and it is gratifying to watch her change. Her growth is clearly the focus of the book.

I also liked that this book is a single book, and not a first in a series. While it leaves open the possibility for more, it has a satisfying ending, with the story line tied up, not in a too perfect way, but in a realistic, doesn't leave any huge burning questions way.

A Long, Long Sleep is definitely worth the time, and a fun read. I would recommend it if you like young adult fiction and books with awesome characters. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
A great companion for Cinder. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
When Rose is awakened after more than 60 years in stasis, she finds her world a very different place, with everyone she ever know gone. Trying to acclimate, she finds that not only is her existence and the method to preserve it controversial, she is not sure why she was forgotten for so long, and a computerized assassin is tracking her. ( )
  lilibrarian | Jul 1, 2014 |
For Drew, because he was my only and this was my first.
I’d try to hold on to my stass dreams as long as I could.

Sixteen-year-old Rosalinda Fitzroy, heir to the multiplanetary corporation UniCorp, is awakened after sixty years in stasis to find that everyone she knew has died and as she tries to make a new life for herself, learns she is the target of a robot assassin.… (more)

70 wanted3 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,786,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible