A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

A Long, Long Sleep (edition 2013)

by Anna Sheehan

Member:amongstories
Title:A Long, Long Sleep
Authors:Anna Sheehan
Info:Candlewick (2013), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:2013 read, fiction, futuristic, young adult, teens, library

A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

I bought the Kindle version of this book when it was cheap, and it took me a long time to get into it. It was slow going at the beginning, but eventually picked up, and I very much enjoyed it as a whole. The story is a Sleeping Beauty retelling, with the main character Rose waking up after decades in 'stasis.' The whole world has obviously changed, going through a dark period when many people died, and Rose is the heir to what is now a massive interplanetary corporation. All of a sudden, Rose is thrown back into living, and then somebody is trying to kill her!

Fairy tale retellings are some of my favorite types of stories. And who can resist a book set in the future, with science fiction and dystopian elements? (In case it is not obvious, not me.) So when I sat down to read this book, I was very excited.

I got less so as I started. The story starts out slow, and I could not get into it at all. Rose, the main character, was dull, I didn't like any of the characters surrounding her, the world building seemed mediocre, and the danger to Rose was slow in coming. Luckily, it got better. I forced myself to keep reading, and I was definitely rewarded. The book picks up after a certain point, and I went from being way unengaged to not able to put it down levels of interest.

As you read, you discover why Rose seems dull, and the characters around her are fleshed out to people you want to learn more about. The level of intrigue grows, until you find out who would want to kill Rose, and why, and it turns out to be something you never would have guessed. Rose grows a lot as a character, and as you learn more about her, she makes sense and it is gratifying to watch her change. Her growth is clearly the focus of the book.

I also liked that this book is a single book, and not a first in a series. While it leaves open the possibility for more, it has a satisfying ending, with the story line tied up, not in a too perfect way, but in a realistic, doesn't leave any huge burning questions way.

A Long, Long Sleep is definitely worth the time, and a fun read. I would recommend it if you like young adult fiction and books with awesome characters. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
A great companion for Cinder. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
When Rose is awakened after more than 60 years in stasis, she finds her world a very different place, with everyone she ever know gone. Trying to acclimate, she finds that not only is her existence and the method to preserve it controversial, she is not sure why she was forgotten for so long, and a computerized assassin is tracking her. ( )
  pmlyayakkers | Jul 1, 2014 |
Not bad, but just couldn't force myself to keep reading. Stopped at page 100. Couldn't click with it, I guess.
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
I picked this up because of the review done by the Book Smugglers, and also because I love fairy tale retellings. The beginning of the book is slow. It took a while for me to get into it, but the last half just flew by. I enjoyed the author's voice, and I was glad she didn't force this into a lovey dovey unhealthy teenage romance paradigm that seems so popular.

I only had one real "complaint": Ok, so you have this all powerful cyborg zombie thing out to kill the heroine. He's so bad ass he strikes fear into the hearts of all. Yet, our stassed out, fragile, stressed flower of a heroine manages to avoid him relatively injury free how many times? It kind of got old after the 3rd and 4th time. It made sense within the overall framework of the story, but still was repetitive.

Overall, I did really like the story and am looking forward to reading more from the author. ( )
  bonreads | Jun 11, 2014 |
For Drew, because he was my only and this was my first.
I’d try to hold on to my stass dreams as long as I could.

Sixteen-year-old Rosalinda Fitzroy, heir to the multiplanetary corporation UniCorp, is awakened after sixty years in stasis to find that everyone she knew has died and as she tries to make a new life for herself, learns she is the target of a robot assassin.… (more)

70 wanted3 pay8 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible