A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

A Long, Long Sleep (edition 2013)

by Anna Sheehan

Series: UniCorp (1)

Member:amongstories
Title:A Long, Long Sleep
Authors:Anna Sheehan
Info:Candlewick (2013), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:2013 read, fiction, futuristic, young adult, teens, library

A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

I love a well-written book that takes its inspiration from classic fairy tales. Obviously, this one is inspired by Sleeping Beauty. However, instead of writing a fantasy, Sheehan has written a suspenseful and compelling science fiction novel.

The long long sleep refers to stasis. Rosalinda Fitzroy, heiress to a vast financial empire, is awakened by a young man exploring the basement of the financial empire’s main building. She is shocked to learn that sixty-two years have passed since she last entered stasis. Not only are her parents dead, but she has no idea what has happened to Xavier, the love of her life. The world has gone through and survived an apocalypse but she is still living in the past.

It takes the reader a while to learn why Rose has such crushingly poor self-esteem. When we learn the truth about why we Rose was repeatedly put into stasis, we root for her recovery. Although she seems weak and timid, her true courage and strength rise to the surface when she faces a series of heartbreaking and life-threatening challenges.

This is a surprisingly gripping book that will also pull at your heartstrings. A fascinating page-turner. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Jul 10, 2016 |
Dare I say this was much better than I expected? I've read a lot of YA lately that's really fallen flat for me, but this retelling of Sleeping Beauty set in a dystopian future was much more than I anticipated. As Rose, who has awoken from a sixty-year-long stasis, adapts to the very changed world, she also discovers she is being hunted and her very life is in danger. As the novel unfolds and the reasons come to light, Rose faces some very harsh truths about her past and the world she inhabits. Highly recommended. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jun 6, 2016 |
(re-posted from http://theturnedbrain.blogspot.com.au/)

I don’t know what I was expected when I picked up this book, but it certainly wasn’t what I got! The plot: girl wakes up after a few decades in a cryogenic chamber, finds she is heir to her parents' multi-billion dollar corporation and not long after finds that someone wants to kill her! Oh no! I think I was definitely swayed by the cover when it came to buying this one, because I don’t know about you but that plot leaves me a bit cold. It’s the part where someone wants to kill her that does it. Why do books always have to shove stuff like that in? The fact that she’s woken up in a strange future with everyone she’s ever known dead should be drama enough, why add more?

Thankfully, it seemed the author agreed with me. The attempted murder of Rosalinda is definitely not the focus of this book, and if you go in wanting an action packed ride you’ll be sorely disappointed. A Long Long Sleep is far more subtle then that, and it’s really more of a slow burning character study than anything else. And I loved it!

I loved how when we first meet her it’s so easy to dismiss Rosalinda as weak; the spoiled, soft product of loving but overbearing parents. But then, slowly, we start to see that not everything is as it seems, and I can’t think of a way to discuss this further without risking spoilers, so you’ll need to just take my word that the way the sinister undertones to Rosalinda’s past slowly build is just masterful.

I also loved the setting. The world has moved on without Rosalinda and watching her struggle to cope with the new technology and vernacular of the world was believable and interesting. The time Rosalinda is from is already far advanced compared to “our” time, yet Sheehan still manages to make her feel old fashioned compared to everyone around her. The whole book has a really lovely old fashioned feel to it, like an old photograph of a spring day.

I loved that Rosalinda is woken by a kiss by an impossible handsome and charming young man who, having read a few books in my time, I immediately pegged as her eventual love interest. Actually, no, I didn’t love that. What I loved is that things turned out to be far more complicated. Again, spoilers!

I loved the book actually pulled off a twist that I did not see coming until the very last moment. A twist that, despite taking me by surprise, was completely obvious in hindsight. (Which is how all twists should be).

I mean, it’s not perfect (although my gushing might be suggesting otherwise). There is that whole attempted murder side plot, which to be honest feels a little tacked on, like maybe the publishers didn’t quote know how to market a YA book that didn’t feature murder or forbidden romance or soul mates.

But that’s a small complaint, and this is easily one of the best YA books I have read in a long time. It stands completely alone, but despite that I can’t help but hope for a sequel, and anything else by this author really. Definitely one to watch!
  MeganDawn | Jan 18, 2016 |
Summary: Sixteen-year-old Rosalinda Fitzroy, heir to the multiplanetary corporation UniCorp, is awakened after sixty years in stasis to find that everyone she knew has died and as she tries to make a new life for herself, learns she is the target of a robot assassin.
  lkmuir | Dec 8, 2015 |
This science fiction Sleeping Beauty twist was a little bit slow to start, but once it got going and we get past Rosalinda dealing with the attacks on her, she really starts dealing with her feelings and we learn the truth about her time in stasis the book really picks up. By the end I found myself liking Rosalinda more and I have definite opinions about who I wanted her to end up with. It feels like there could be room for sequels and I'm wondering if any are planned. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
For Drew, because he was my only and this was my first.
I’d try to hold on to my stass dreams as long as I could.

Sixteen-year-old Rosalinda Fitzroy, heir to the multiplanetary corporation UniCorp, is awakened after sixty years in stasis to find that everyone she knew has died and as she tries to make a new life for herself, learns she is the target of a robot assassin.… (more)

61 wanted3 pay10 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,386,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible