Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy

Outer Dark (original 1968; edition 1993)

by Cormac McCarthy

Member:stang50logan
Title:Outer Dark
Authors:Cormac McCarthy
Info:Vintage (1993), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:**1/2

Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy (1968)

English (30)  Italian (3)  All languages (33)
I enjoyed the book but it didn't "WOW" me. It didn't throw me into the world or give me any emotional turmoil over the characters. Overall it is nicely written but nothing special. The mystery wasn't very suspenseful. I felt disconnected from the characters. When an emotional event occurred, I didn't feel the appropriate pang of sadness or the ping of joy. The writing is done well and the descriptions are done beautifully but the story is lacking a connectivity that brings you close to the characters of the book.

The dark themes and characters ARE disturbing, shocking and chilling but because I felt disjointed from the main characters and the world, it didn't have as profound an effect that it should have had. McCarthy had a great idea, great writing and style but didn't execute the plot or the characters very well. If this is your first McCarthy book, be warned. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
I'm writing this almost five years after reading Outer Dark. All I remember is that the three men after Culla are terrifying and the tinker is creepy. Rinthy is such a pitiful character. McCarthy's sense of doom is well on display here in his second book. ( )
  Bradley_Kramer | May 15, 2014 |
A brother and a sister are both hunting something out in the backcountry while three mysterious strangers follow them, leaving a band of sorrow in their wake.

"Outer Dark" truly lived up to it's name: it was dark and way, way, out there. Picture mixing "Flowers in the attic" with whatever you imagine a moonshiner to look like and there you go.

I did not enjoy this one as much as "The Road" but it was good in it's own way. The language and writing style is stunning. ( )
  Alexander19 | Feb 20, 2014 |
Another darkly evocative novel from Cormac McCarthy! Frankly, a quote by the tinker sums up how one feels after reading about the tortured lives of these characters. I seen the meanness of people 'til I don't know why God don't turn out the sun and walk away." I don't feel that way in general, but McCarthy reminds me of the hardship people live through and keep putting one foot in front of another. ( )
  hemlokgang | Jan 21, 2014 |
In rural Appalachia early in the last century Nineteen year-old Rinthy Holmes has her brother’s baby. Shamed, he abandons the baby in the woods, where a tinker finds it. When she can travel, Rinthy hunts her baby, and her brother, Culla, hunts her. They are unsophisticated backwoods people and easily victimized.

In Outer Dark the story is in the journey rather than the destination. McCarthy crafts his words as well as he articulates the evil that can happen in the world. His writing about both nature and people is matched by few. ( )
  Hagelstein | Jan 13, 2014 |
The originality of Mr. McCarthy's novel is not in its theme or locale, both of which are impressively ancient. It is his style which compels admiration, a style compounded of Appalachian phrases as plain and as functional as an ax.
added by eereed | editNew York Times, Guy Davenport (Oct 29, 1968)

They crested out on the bluff in the late afternoon sun with their shadows long on the sawgrass and burnt sedge, moving single file and slowly high above the river and with something of its own implacability, pausing and grouping for a moment and going on again strung out in silhouette against the sun and then dropping under the crest of the hill into a fold of blue shadow with light touching them about the head in spurious sanctity until they had gone on for such a time as saw the sun down altogether and they moved in shadow altogether which suited them very well.
She shook him awake into the quiet darkness.

Outer Dark is a novel at once fabular and starkly evocative, set is an unspecified place in Appalachia, sometime around the turn of the century.  A woman bears her brother's child, a boy; he leaves the baby in the woods and tells her he died of natural causes.  Discovering her brother's lie, she sets forth alone to find her son.  Both brother and sister wander separately through a countryside being scourged by three terrifying and elusive strangers, headlong toward an eerie, apocalyptic resolution.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

This stark novel is set in an unspecified place in Appalachia, sometime around the turn of the century. A woman bears her brother's child, a boy; he leaves the baby in the woods and tells her he died of natural causes. Discovering her brother's lie, she sets forth alone to find her son. Both brother and sister wander separately through a countryside being scourged by three terrifying and elusive strangers, headlong toward an eerie, apocalyptic resolution.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible