Running Man by Stephen King

Running Man (original 1986; edition 1982)

by Stephen King (Author)

Series: Bachman Books (4)

The year is 2025. The Running Man is America's favorite television game show. Ben Richards is the program's latest contestant, and the Hunters' latest target in a rigged game of death.
Member:seanrowden
Title:Running Man
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Penguin Books Australia (1982), Edition: Reissue ed., 317 pages
Tags:unread

The Running Man by Stephen King (1986)

English (50)  French (2)  German (1)  All languages (53)
The Running Man by Richard Bachman (Pseudonym), Stephen King is one of the few Stephen King books I somehow managed to miss or get sidetracked from reading. I decided I really wanted to change that!😁 This book reminds me of 21st century gladiators and something that the bloodthirsty TV consumers would really enjoy a show like this if it was legal! Very interesting book and a close look at the inner darkness of man. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jul 27, 2020 |
It was....ok. I didn't like the constant derogatory racial comments in this book. To me there was no need for it. There was no horror, thriller or suspenseful aspects of this book and it just all around left a bad taste in my mouth. It will be a long time before I read one of his books again and unfortunately I have quite a few. ( )
  SpareTheBS | May 17, 2020 |
This was a damn fun read. It's not trying to be sophisticated, it wants to blow the reader's mind. It moves quick and kept me turning the pages. ( )
  Cail_Judy | Apr 21, 2020 |
I really enjoyed reading the book The Running Man by Stephen King because it was very interesting, and it was easy to read and interpret. I find the dystopian genre very interesting so reading this book was a fun experience. This book is about a man named Ben Richards, who joins a game show to win money to get his sick infant daughter some medicine. However, the game show he enters isn’t an average game show, it could result in death. When a contestant enters the game, show called the running man, they are hunted for 30 consecutive days. For each hour and day, they stay alive, their family gets sent money. No one has survived the show, and no one has made it past eight days. Joining this show seems like something only very desperate people would do, or people who have a death wish, but in that society, everyone is desperate. The majority of the population is in poverty, and a small percent of people can afford to live normal, healthy lives. A quote that stood out to me when I read it was when Ben Richard’s wife Cathy didn’t want to let him go on the game show. To which he replied, “why not? At worst you can get a few old bucks as the head of a fatherless house. One way or the other you’ll have to see her through this” (ch1 pg. 3). When life becomes so desperate that he would risk his life for a couple bucks, there isn’t much he wouldn’t do, which stays relevant throughout the book because he makes a lot of impulsive and risky decisions, which helps this book stay interesting. This book is special because it takes place in 2025, and it shows the gap between the rich and the poor has gotten juristically bigger to the point where people need to risk their lives to keep someone else in their family alive. For the poverty gap to increase that much in five years is not likely, but it’s still possible to happen, even if it happens a few years later, it shows what this world could come to in a few years, which is what Stephen King was trying to shed light on. People should choose to read this book and choose to share this book because not only does it shed light on the problem of the gap between the rich and the poor, but it is a well written book that doesn’t get boring while at the same time it’s easy to read and interpret. One of my friends who also read this book said, “I enjoyed this book because it always had action. Once Ben escaped one challenge, he faced the next. I never wanted to put the book down, I’ve never had a book do that before”. ( )
  tiffanyallen | Apr 6, 2020 |
I enjoyed this well enough to be better than "just okay."

I don't really have much to say other than I wished there was more of Bradley's character. I felt that he was the strongest of them all. I also liked Amelia, however that may be because I connected with her since I think I would have acted the same way had I been in the same situation.

Oh, also this is teetering on being 2.5 stars because I felt the thing that Bradley discovered wasn't resolved (being vague on purpose). It seemed like such an integral part to the story once Ben figured it out. I may have missed something (since I listened to the audio), but there wasn't even a hint that the world was better because of what Richards discovered. ( )
  mdunagan | Dec 3, 2019 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lehto, LeeviTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zinoni, DelioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She was squinting at the thermometer in the white light coming through the window.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,846,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible