Ashfall by Mike Mullin

Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read 2012, young adult, science fiction, library

Ashfall by Mike Mullin

English (118)  Italian (1)  All languages (119)
"A librarian can't live by books alone, and I wouldn't eat them if I could. Feel too much like cannibalism."

--Mike Mullin, Ashfall

While this book could be depressing, (it is about the end of the world as we know it, after all); it still had it's moments like that quote from the librarian that made you laugh. I believe she was bartering some food for some books when she said that.

I was thoroughly entertained while reading this book, it never really got bogged down, always something going on, and not always "cringe worthy" stuff either. They were heartfelt parts and some "edge of your seat" action, plus some funny shit and angsty teenage love parts too.

It it a refreshing, coming of age story with some crazy, holy shit disaster moments. Darla and Alex's interactions with each other are so endearing, I really quite liked them.

I will definitely be reading the rest of the series. ( )
  Leah422 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Did not finish.
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
This was quite the adventure! We first meet sixteen-year-old Alex as he says goodbye to his parents and sister before they depart on a two hour drive to visit his Uncle. Alex is a typical teenage boy with all the typical teenage gadgets; cellphone, computer, gaming station, etc. He has the whole weekend to himself. He can plug in to all those electronics, practice his marital arts, or read his science fiction novels, but this weekend isn't going to be like any other weekend.

I found myself really liking Alex, even when he was being a typical teen with a teen's typical temper. More than once I wanted to reach through the pages and just give the kid a big hug, but that's probably the parent in me talking...or just the average compassionate human being. This kid walks through Hades...almost in the literal sense...and the reader begins to feel like they are along for the ride.

The imagery is dramatic, even shocking at times, and I was impressed at how realistic most aspects of this story became. The author lost me just a little bit when Alex and Darla arrived at the FEMA camp, but only with regard to realism and the commander's orders. Then again, who am I to say this type of thing couldn't happen? I suppose corruption that deep is possible during the apocalypse.

I was also a little surprised at the ending, thus the four stars instead of five. However, I'm moving immediately into book two because I want to know what happens next! This was a very exciting story and a great opening to the trilogy! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Jun 15, 2016 |
Good, gritty post-apocalypse stuff. I can imagine it going down like that. ( )
  Caitlin70433 | Jun 6, 2016 |
2 ILL no CC
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.
—Will Durant
For Margaret, my Darla
I was home alone on that Friday evening.

Many visitors to Yellowstone National Park don’t realize that the boiling hot springs and spraying geysers are caused by an underlying supervolcano. It has erupted three times in the last 2.1 million years, and it will erupt again, changing the Earth forever.

Fifteen-year-old Alex is home alone when the supervolcano erupts. His town collapses into a nightmare of darkness, ash, and violence, forcing him to flee. He begins a harrowing trek in search of his parents and sister, who were visiting relatives 140 miles away.

Along the way, Alex struggles through a landscape transformed by more than a foot of ash. The disaster brings out the best and worst in people desperate for food, clean water, and shelter. When an escaped convict injures Alex, he searches for a sheltered place where he can wait—to heal or to die. Instead, he finds Darla. Together, they fight to achieve a nearly impossible goal: surviving the supervolcano.

With nonstop action, a little romance, and realistic science, debut author Mike Mullin tells a mesmerizing story. Readers will turn Ashfall’s pages breathlessly, and continue to ponder Alex and Darla’s fate long after they close the book.

After the eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano destroys his city and its surroundings, fifteen-year-old Alex must journey from Cedar Falls, Iowa, to Illinois to find his parents and sister, trying to survive in a transformed landscape and a new society in which all the old rules of living have vanished.… (more)

Mike Mullin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,560,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible