Ashfall by Mike Mullin

Info:Tanglewood Press (2011), Hardcover, 476 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:read 2012, young adult, science fiction, library

Ashfall by Mike Mullin

English (118)  Italian (1)  All languages (119)
Aftermath of a Supervolcano Eruption.... Ashfall is a story about surviving in the aftermath of a supervolcano eruption. It follows a teenager named Alex and his harrowing journey across states to find his parents and sister. My first thoughts when I started reading it was that the writing style had a simplistic feel to it, but after the first chapter or two, I think the author, Mike Mullin, found his groove because the writing was flawless from there on out.
One of the things that made this a 5-star book for me, was that Mullin included a surprising level of detail about the characters survival situations and tactics that I haven't found in most dystopian/post-apocalyptic books. He doesn't just touch on the basic necessities like finding shelter and food and dealing with the desperate and crazies in the world. He goes all into field dressing animals, harvesting corn pone, constructing greenhouses and smokehouses out of whatever materials they can salvage and building gristmills out of bicycles, gravestones and spare car parts because they're faster than mortars and pestles. Things like that - which I probably would've never thought of in a million years. The whole story just had its own unique and imaginative flair to it, and believe me, after reading so many dystopian/post-apocalyptic books, you really appreciate those rare gems you come across. ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Did not finish.
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
This was quite the adventure! We first meet sixteen-year-old Alex as he says goodbye to his parents and sister before they depart on a two hour drive to visit his Uncle. Alex is a typical teenage boy with all the typical teenage gadgets; cellphone, computer, gaming station, etc. He has the whole weekend to himself. He can plug in to all those electronics, practice his marital arts, or read his science fiction novels, but this weekend isn't going to be like any other weekend.

I found myself really liking Alex, even when he was being a typical teen with a teen's typical temper. More than once I wanted to reach through the pages and just give the kid a big hug, but that's probably the parent in me talking...or just the average compassionate human being. This kid walks through Hades...almost in the literal sense...and the reader begins to feel like they are along for the ride.

The imagery is dramatic, even shocking at times, and I was impressed at how realistic most aspects of this story became. The author lost me just a little bit when Alex and Darla arrived at the FEMA camp, but only with regard to realism and the commander's orders. Then again, who am I to say this type of thing couldn't happen? I suppose corruption that deep is possible during the apocalypse.

I was also a little surprised at the ending, thus the four stars instead of five. However, I'm moving immediately into book two because I want to know what happens next! This was a very exciting story and a great opening to the trilogy! ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Jun 15, 2016 |
Good, gritty post-apocalypse stuff. I can imagine it going down like that. ( )
  Caitlin70433 | Jun 6, 2016 |
2 ILL no CC
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.
—Will Durant
For Margaret, my Darla
I was home alone on that Friday evening.

Many visitors to Yellowstone National Park don’t realize that the boiling hot springs and spraying geysers are caused by an underlying supervolcano. It has erupted three times in the last 2.1 million years, and it will erupt again, changing the Earth forever.

Fifteen-year-old Alex is home alone when the supervolcano erupts. His town collapses into a nightmare of darkness, ash, and violence, forcing him to flee. He begins a harrowing trek in search of his parents and sister, who were visiting relatives 140 miles away.

Along the way, Alex struggles through a landscape transformed by more than a foot of ash. The disaster brings out the best and worst in people desperate for food, clean water, and shelter. When an escaped convict injures Alex, he searches for a sheltered place where he can wait—to heal or to die. Instead, he finds Darla. Together, they fight to achieve a nearly impossible goal: surviving the supervolcano.

With nonstop action, a little romance, and realistic science, debut author Mike Mullin tells a mesmerizing story. Readers will turn Ashfall’s pages breathlessly, and continue to ponder Alex and Darla’s fate long after they close the book.

After the eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano destroys his city and its surroundings, fifteen-year-old Alex must journey from Cedar Falls, Iowa, to Illinois to find his parents and sister, trying to survive in a transformed landscape and a new society in which all the old rules of living have vanished.… (more)

Mike Mullin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,722,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible