Ashfall by Mike Mullin

Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read 2012, young adult, science fiction, library

Ashfall by Mike Mullin

English (113)  Italian (1)  All languages (114)
It's to the credit of the author of Ashfall to have created such a convincing scenario of a postapocalyptic North America that I had to stop reading it as Hurricane Irene approached the East Coast.

As I watched people rushing to the supermarkets and buying more water they could possibly drink in a year, the fear of a world without power or water so vividly described in Ashfall was too intimidating for me.

The hurricane came bringing power outages and water to spare. But, two days later when I got my power back I finished Ashfall with renewed enthusiasm.

As its title suggests, the apocalypse in Ashfall is caused by the eruption of a volcano, the supervolcano that is now dormant in Yellowstone. In the aftermath of the explosion a cloud of ash prevents the sun rays from reaching the earth, and, as it settles, kills crops and vegetation, endangering human survival.

In this transformed world, Alex, a sixteen year old boy, must travel for over a hundred miles to his uncle's farm to join his parents and sister. Luckily for him, he finds Darla in his way. Darla, a very capable young lady, can run a farm on her won, build all kind of machines from scratch and stitch a wound like a pro. No wonder he fells for her.

This refusal to fall for stereotypes when creating his male or female characters while keeping them realistic is one of the greatest strength of Ashfall, as is the sense of urgency and fear that permeates the story.

I'm glad to know a sequel is on the making for I would like to spend more time with Alex and Darla. Their determination and resourcefulness are contagious.

Well done, Mike.
  CarmenFerreiro | Mar 28, 2016 |
This is my THIRD time reading this book and I still couldn't put it down. This young adult novel is so intense and gripping because it's totally plausible. This could absolutely happen. Yellowstone is due to erupt anytime. Mike Mullin enters the young adult dystopian/apocalyptic genre with originality and managed to create one of the most realistic and haunting trilogies of them all.

Fifteen year old Alex is scared, bleeding to death, and lost when he winds up in Darla's barn. He's been journeying through ash and violent weather for days trying to make his way to Illinois where his family is. Ever since the volcano erupted and the world changed it's each man for himself. Alex has to find food and water, learn to trek through the deep ash without breathing it in, and defend himself from dangerous starving people. Will Darla be able to accompany him on this hellish journey? Can they make it?

For fans of the Hunger Games, The Maze Runner, and Divergent. I will admit, this book is a great "how to" for whenever Yellowstone does erupt. It's full of practical advice and survival skills. Mullin really did his research! The other two books in the trilogy are just as good! ( )
  ecataldi | Jan 27, 2016 |
This book felt like a very raw and realistic apocalypse, while still remaining a YA oriented story. I actually felt like I had to take a breather from the book because it was a bit savage and detail oriented. I felt like I was learning survival skills from Alex and Darla, yet I was also drawn in to their very personal relationship with each other. I don't think this book is for everyone. I can admit I cried, I was grossed out, and often sad for all the characters had to endure. I truly appreciate the realism and would recommend it to those looking for a YA apocalypse/survival story. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice.
—Will Durant
For Margaret, my Darla
I was home alone on that Friday evening.

Many visitors to Yellowstone National Park don’t realize that the boiling hot springs and spraying geysers are caused by an underlying supervolcano. It has erupted three times in the last 2.1 million years, and it will erupt again, changing the Earth forever.

Fifteen-year-old Alex is home alone when the supervolcano erupts. His town collapses into a nightmare of darkness, ash, and violence, forcing him to flee. He begins a harrowing trek in search of his parents and sister, who were visiting relatives 140 miles away.

Along the way, Alex struggles through a landscape transformed by more than a foot of ash. The disaster brings out the best and worst in people desperate for food, clean water, and shelter. When an escaped convict injures Alex, he searches for a sheltered place where he can wait—to heal or to die. Instead, he finds Darla. Together, they fight to achieve a nearly impossible goal: surviving the supervolcano.

With nonstop action, a little romance, and realistic science, debut author Mike Mullin tells a mesmerizing story. Readers will turn Ashfall’s pages breathlessly, and continue to ponder Alex and Darla’s fate long after they close the book.

After the eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano destroys his city and its surroundings, fifteen-year-old Alex must journey from Cedar Falls, Iowa, to Illinois to find his parents and sister, trying to survive in a transformed landscape and a new society in which all the old rules of living have vanished.… (more)

Mike Mullin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,846,957 books! | Top bar: Always visible