Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky

by Veronica Rossi

1,7121876,316 (4)38

English (183)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (186)
I received this book as a Good reads First read.

At first, I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book and by the end, I wanted more! It took a little bit for me to really get into it but as the story progressed I found myself really enjoying it. Well worth the read and I'm hoping for a sequel! ( )
  KBrier | May 22, 2019 |
Once you get past the initial confusion at the beginning, it takes off from there. ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
Het orgineel van mijn review kan je vinden op mijn blog:

De wereld achter de muren van de Bolster werd “De winkel des doods” genoemd. Daar verschool de dood zich in talloze gedaanten
Paf! Een inkopper noem je zoiets ook wel! En wat voor eentje! Het zijn de eerste regels van het boek. De mensen die in de koepel (koepel) wonen, beschouwen de wereld buiten de koepel als De Winkel des Doods en degene die daar buiten wonen als Wildlingen. ( )
  LindaKwakernaat | Nov 29, 2018 |
THIRD TIME I READ THIS-- I still loved it. What can I say? It's a damn good book.

Let’s just take a moment and say thank you for this beautiful book.
*Bows head for a moment of silence*
Okay, now we get to the good stuff:

Point 1. Perry is no platypus. He is way to freaking AWESOME. I just love him.

Point 2. Aria’s name is pretty ironic. For those of you who, unlike me, don’t have a hobby involving knowing the meanings of several names, let’s take a moment and review: the name Aria means song. Now, three guesses as to what the character Aria is talented at.
If you guessed singing, you would be correct.

Point 3. Talon is the cutest little bundle of boy ever.

Point 4. Everyone knows the trademark of Dystopic books it the totalitarian government, where everything is strictly regimented so that everyone is perfectly ‘equal’ which leads to the eventual fall if said society.
Despite this book being dystopic, that trademark plot point is largely missing from this book, as they spend most of their time ‘outside’.
It was actually quite a refreshing change.

Point 5. One might think words like Scire and Blood Lord would be strange to someone who mostly reads about vampires and werewolves. This is true. But there actually are a couple of people in my life that I expect to use words like that.
What kind of nerds do I know that I expect them to say things like Scire and Blood Lord? Well, my brothers, of course.

Point 6. Yes. They kiss. It’s actually really sweet.

Point 7. Now, the people in this book are strange, to say the least. At least every other person we meet on the outside has some power (Extreme senses, i.e. sight, smell, hearing). Nearly everyone we know from the inside (which, admittedly, are few) has DLS. Degenerative Limbic Syndrome. It seems that people have stopped using their Limbic system (if you don’t know what that is, take psychology. It’s actually a cool class) and, in doing so, it has degenerated. So now, people’s instincts are all off, resulting in widespread psychopathy, example: Soren.

Yeah. This book was stinking good.

Can sooo not wait to read the next one.

Oh, yes, before I forget: this book is told in third person.

Previous times read:
August 2012
December 2012 ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
5 stars ( )
  thepageparamour | Sep 9, 2018 |
Debut author Rossi creates a dystopian world in which a teenage girl loses her home but finds truth, love and identity.

Aria has grown up in a Pod, where life is highly regulated and technology has eliminated many of life’s pains and inconveniences. Dwellers lead sheltered, insulated lives in the Pod, enjoying protection from the often treacherous and always unpredictable Aether forces in the sky. They also revel in endless virtual joy rides accessible through devices all Dwellers have. Rossi seamlessly intertwines Aria’s journey with that of Peregrine, a teenage boy who has grown up outside of a Pod, an Outsider, in what the Dwellers consider perilous wastelands where humans live without the gadgets Dwellers depend upon. Ruling authorities banish Aria from the Pod, and Rossi nails the feat of offering dual perspectives from Aria and Perry as they help one another on separate quests that turn out to have unexpected connections. Though an Outsider and what Dwellers consider a savage, Peregrine, who possesses preternatural gifts and comes from a ruling family in his tribe, earns not only Aria’s respect and admiration, but also her heart. Rossi grounds her worldbuilding in language, creating idioms for the Dwellers and Outsiders that add texture to their respective myths; her characters are brave and complex and her prose smooth and evocative.

Inspired, offbeat and mesmerizing. (Science fiction. 12 & up)
added by susieimage | editKirkus Review (Dec 3, 2011)

For Luca and Rocky
They called the world beyond the walls of the Pod "the Death Shop."

Since she’d been on the outside, she’d survived an Aether storm, she’d had a knife held to her throat, and she’d seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. If the cannibals don’t get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She’s been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He’s wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria’s help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

"Aria and Perry, two teens from radically different societies--one highly advanced, the other primitive--hate being dependent on one another until they overcome their prejudices and fall in love, knowing they can't stay together"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible