Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky (edition 2012)

by Veronica Rossi

Title:Under the Never Sky
Authors:Veronica Rossi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 400 pages

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

English (173)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (176)
I had heard so many good things about Under the Never Sky prior to reading it, that my expectations may have been too high. It was a very good story that kept me interested, but never really grabbed me as I hoped it would. In the story, Aria is forced from the protection of the"pod" where she lives when a group of boys start a fire that kills them all except Aria. Once she is "Outside," Aria confronts "savages" with finely tuned senses that have learned to survive the storms of the Aether. At first she is repulsed, but one called Peregrine saves her life on more than one occasion, and Aria starts to gain an understanding of life "Outside" through her interactions with Perry. Trouble brews when Perry kills a group of cannibals that are trying to hurt Aria. The revenge the cannibals seek puts Perry and everyone he knows at risk.
There is an underlying geopolitical undercurrent in this story and themes that ask moral questions such as, "How much harm do we do to ourselves when we make life so easy that we take away things like challenges and goals?".
Overall this book was very well written with enough action, excitement, and mystery to keep readers interested, but for me, it missed the mark due to the lack of emotional connection between characters. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jul 11, 2016 |
The story was pretty familiar ... there are sections that reminded me of other books - including Twilight.

So, there wasn't much fresh storytelling, but it was okay. I'd certainly rather read something new and original, but if I had to, I'd probably pick up the second book in the series. If only to see Roar again. That's right, Roar. Who could resist a man with that name?

imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Loved this book. I don't care how you classify it - dystopian, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, for me it's a love story. It's also about recognizing your strengths and doing things you never thought possible. I loved Aria and Perry and how they both grew and changed. Finished this morning and bought the 2nd one this afternoon. If it's as good as this one, it's going to be a long night! ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Ugh, I love this book. It was a bit of a slow starter, but not really. I just didn't like the sentence structure. I grew on me after a while though, and I really got lost in the pages. Aria's character development was amazing. So was Perry's. They both grew throughout the book. I also loved there subtle romance, slow forming but real. Ugh, I really want to go read book 2 now.

The world building was also well done, and I agree with those that said this could be a world of it's own and there didn't have to be any world references. I was surprised by how everything was interesting while they were traveling together, a task that would probably sound boring.

I don't think I cried in this book, but I did get teary eyed, and I feel connected to the characters. They are both very believable and well-rounded.

What I hope to see in book 2 / predictions:

-Reef is Aria's father: I say this because he is a Scire, and Perry needs to be with a Scire, and most authors would find a way to make that happen for him.

-Aria will be a kind of hybrid: We know she is an Aud now, but Perry said he got his abilities at different times, so I think this will be the case for her too. She was able to see the guy in the tree before Perry and she could read his emotions when it came to how he felt about Liv and Roar. This makes me think she is somehow all three, with Aud being her dominant sense.

-Aria's mom was an outsider with Seer and Aud senses, who was part of the program she later ran. This would make sense for Aria having all three abilities if Reef is in fact her father. Her mom never said she was only half outsider. Aria assumed it.

-Aria will get to know Reef and they will find out that he is her father on the way to the Still Blue. I think he will be able to sing just like Aria and that's how they will find out, that or him telling a story to Perry about a woman he once loved and wasn't supposed to. Other time all the details will add up and they'll find out.

**I could be dead wrong on all of these, but I am a writer and I know how I would weave this tell, so I guess I'll find out how off or spot on I was when I read book 2.** ( )
  ZetherBooks | Jun 15, 2016 |
2015 Rating System: 5
  ZetherBooks | Jun 15, 2016 |
Debut author Rossi creates a dystopian world in which a teenage girl loses her home but finds truth, love and identity.

Aria has grown up in a Pod, where life is highly regulated and technology has eliminated many of life’s pains and inconveniences. Dwellers lead sheltered, insulated lives in the Pod, enjoying protection from the often treacherous and always unpredictable Aether forces in the sky. They also revel in endless virtual joy rides accessible through devices all Dwellers have. Rossi seamlessly intertwines Aria’s journey with that of Peregrine, a teenage boy who has grown up outside of a Pod, an Outsider, in what the Dwellers consider perilous wastelands where humans live without the gadgets Dwellers depend upon. Ruling authorities banish Aria from the Pod, and Rossi nails the feat of offering dual perspectives from Aria and Perry as they help one another on separate quests that turn out to have unexpected connections. Though an Outsider and what Dwellers consider a savage, Peregrine, who possesses preternatural gifts and comes from a ruling family in his tribe, earns not only Aria’s respect and admiration, but also her heart. Rossi grounds her worldbuilding in language, creating idioms for the Dwellers and Outsiders that add texture to their respective myths; her characters are brave and complex and her prose smooth and evocative.

Inspired, offbeat and mesmerizing. (Science fiction. 12 & up)
added by susieimage | editKirkus Review (Dec 3, 2011)
For Luca and Rocky
They called the world beyond the walls of the Pod "the Death Shop."

Since she’d been on the outside, she’d survived an Aether storm, she’d had a knife held to her throat, and she’d seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. If the cannibals don’t get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She’s been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He’s wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria’s help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

"Aria and Perry, two teens from radically different societies--one highly advanced, the other primitive--hate being dependent on one another until they overcome their prejudices and fall in love, knowing they can't stay together"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,831,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible