Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky (edition 2012)

by Veronica Rossi

Member:cindyXIII
Title:Under the Never Sky
Authors:Veronica Rossi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:****1/2

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

English (164)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (167)
Such a good book! Imaginative and full of adventure with a big dash of violence and some romance.

In this book some people called Dwellers live in enclosed pods and have a lot of technology, including Smarteyes. The Smarteye interfaces with a person's brain and sight allowing someone to experience virtual realms as if it were reality. Aria is a teenage girl Dweller who gets into big trouble when she shuts of her Smarteye and sneaks into a destroyed Pod with a group of other teens.

Outside the Pods there are groups of people struggling to live and survive on limited food and resources under a sky full of blue Aether. The Aether is dangerous, it is like liquid electricity, and it is becoming stronger and produces increasingly destructive storms.

Peregrine is one of the Outsiders who sneaks into a Pod. He is trying to find food and medicine for his tribe. His rescue of Aria from a raging fire and theft of her Smarteye sets off a story that I didn't want to put down.

It left me wishing I had all 3 books right now. ( )
  ddbrown201 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Enjoyed the book until the end. The set up for book 2 sounds just like a million other fantasy/dystopian YA books. ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
Just as good the second time. I was only going to breeze through the book so I was refreshed for the sequel, but it pulled me right in again.
I don't know what it is about the dystopian genre that I love. Maybe it's the absence of our society, maybe it's the fantastical, or maybe it's the survival. Whatever it is, I love them. Under the Never Sky doesn't disappoint and can sit smugly on the shelf next to books like Divergent, The Hunger Games, and Birthmakerd.
Under the Never Sky is told in duel third person points of view. Unlike other stories written in third person where it feels more like you're watching a movie more then diving into a book, Rossi is able to communicate Aria and Perrgrine's moods and desires, causing you, the reader, to root for them and enjoy their journey.
As Rossi notes, this is a story of missing. Aria is trying to find information about her mother whom she has lost contact with a few weeks back. This is the catalyst that sends her out of her controlled environment and into the world, under the sky full of anther. Aria finds herself in an unlikely alliance with an outsider named Peregrine. Peregrine joins Aria in hopes of finding his nefew who was taken by the people who live in the pods where Aria is from.
Although they start off mistrusting and disliking each other, their journey forges a friendship that evolves into even more.
I recommend this book to anyone who like dystopia, fantasy, romance, and adventure. ( )
  elvinbecky | Jan 6, 2016 |
This was a great book. I'm bummed it just came out this year though because she obviously left it open for a sequel even before I saw the #1 in the title. Great story telling of people from 2 different worlds coming together and learning how to live with one another and falling in love. I loved it, can't wait for the next one. Great job!. ( )
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
  faerychikk | Jan 5, 2016 |
Debut author Rossi creates a dystopian world in which a teenage girl loses her home but finds truth, love and identity.

Aria has grown up in a Pod, where life is highly regulated and technology has eliminated many of life’s pains and inconveniences. Dwellers lead sheltered, insulated lives in the Pod, enjoying protection from the often treacherous and always unpredictable Aether forces in the sky. They also revel in endless virtual joy rides accessible through devices all Dwellers have. Rossi seamlessly intertwines Aria’s journey with that of Peregrine, a teenage boy who has grown up outside of a Pod, an Outsider, in what the Dwellers consider perilous wastelands where humans live without the gadgets Dwellers depend upon. Ruling authorities banish Aria from the Pod, and Rossi nails the feat of offering dual perspectives from Aria and Perry as they help one another on separate quests that turn out to have unexpected connections. Though an Outsider and what Dwellers consider a savage, Peregrine, who possesses preternatural gifts and comes from a ruling family in his tribe, earns not only Aria’s respect and admiration, but also her heart. Rossi grounds her worldbuilding in language, creating idioms for the Dwellers and Outsiders that add texture to their respective myths; her characters are brave and complex and her prose smooth and evocative.

Inspired, offbeat and mesmerizing. (Science fiction. 12 & up)
added by susieimage | editKirkus Review (Dec 3, 2011)

For Luca and Rocky
They called the world beyond the walls of the Pod "the Death Shop."

Since she’d been on the outside, she’d survived an Aether storm, she’d had a knife held to her throat, and she’d seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. If the cannibals don’t get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She’s been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He’s wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria’s help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

"Aria and Perry, two teens from radically different societies--one highly advanced, the other primitive--hate being dependent on one another until they overcome their prejudices and fall in love, knowing they can't stay together"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,154,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible