Paljaan taivaan alla by Veronica Rossi

Paljaan taivaan alla (edition 2012)

by Veronica Rossi, Inka Parpola (KÄÄnt.), Richard Newton (Cover artist), Sarah Hoy (Cover designer), Maarit Norvanto (Cover artist)

Member:lummukka
Title:Paljaan taivaan alla
Authors:Veronica Rossi
Other authors:Inka Parpola (KÄÄnt.), Richard Newton (Cover artist), Sarah Hoy (Cover designer), Maarit Norvanto (Cover artist)
Info:Helsinki : WSOY, 2012.
Collections:scifi, Nuorten, Your library
Rating:**
Tags:scifi, romaanit, nuortenkirjallisuus, nuorten aikuisten kirjat, tieteiskirjallisuus, kaunokirjallisuus, dystopiat, tulevaisuus, esikoisteokset, henkiinjääminen, selviytyminen, elämä, virtuaalitodellisuus, ekokatastrofit, elintavat, erilaisuus, kaupungit, Haave

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

English (168)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (171)
I freaking love this book ( )
  gracefranks25 | Apr 24, 2016 |
I was very surprised, didn't expect to end the book loving it. I thought I was really going to dislike this book, the story dragged on for almost halfway through before it just took off and became a very sweet love story. I kept reading because there were a couple of things that kept me going and hoping the story would get more exciting and it did. One of the things that I believed kept me reading was Aria's inquisitiveness and her incessant babbling, Aria was getting on Perry's nerves, it was the most adorable interaction between them in the first half of the book and I could see hope.

I'm assuming the author didn't want it to be love at first site or have them secretly falling in love with each other immediately, she wanted their love to develop slowly. Guess that slowed the story down a bit, but in the end it really helped to make the love story more real.

Never Sky was written in third-person narrative style between Aria and Peregrine, which possible slowed the pace of the story and it was narrated in the present of each characters current situation it never goes backwards.

Scent is one of the things authors tend to use to create imagery of the intense love between characters, stuff like heshe smells like summer, roses, cotton candy etc., so I was stupefied that Perry didn't like Aria's scent when they first met, he actually thought she smelled like decay (I mean really? Decay?)and I wonder how can a relationship even happen between. It turns out living in pods without fresh air causes a decaying smell that only outsiders can smell (yeah).

I can't begin to explain how good this book is or got. So patience is the virtue you will need when reading this book. At the beginning the secondary characters seemed immature or psychopathic but it turns out there was a reason, which was eventually revealed. There were many surprising secrets and events that made it a fun read.

GigisIrieReads | Apr 20, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! What a unique story...in which the post-apocalyptic world is divided, not into classes like some, but into the people who had chosen to hide and the people who had learned to adapt to the surroundings. Also, so far, no love triangle, which is refreshing. I liked the alternating points of view, so that you don't get to see just what Perry is seeing and feeling and thinking, but what Aria sees and feels and thinks as well. I like getting both perspectives of the story, I feel like it paints a broader picture of what's going on. And in a string of cliffhanger endings at the end of dystopian stories, this one felt more light hearted and hopeful! I'm very excited to get to the rest of the series. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
I won this book in a contest, and for whatever reason put off reading it. Nessa ended up reading it before I did, and kept urging me to make time to read it! Well, I finally did and am so glad I decided to, I adore Perry.

The book begins with action. This definitely pulled me in. It's told from Aria & Perry's perspectives. I like when books offer you more than one point of view so that you can have an opinion about everything that is going on. It's not one-sided. I also appreciate the lack of insta-love. The relationships are slow to build. It's not rushed, and I think that's what adds to my love of this storyline.

Ah, the characters.... They were done brilliantly. Aria, is independent. She proves again and again that she is capable of surviving. Nothing can get in the way of her finding her way home. She comes across some situations that would scare the daylights out of me, but manages to keep her composure as much as can be expected. Perry is smart, and only cares about his nephew. He's strong, independent, and in most cases an amazing leader. He always knows what to do, and does his damnedest to keep Aria safe, since she's never been outside the walls of Reverie. Oh, and Roar, how could i forget him. He's funny, and incredibly laid back.

The storyline is very fast-paced, and you won't find any lulls. It's a quick read with characters you'll love. If you haven't stumbled across this read yet, definitely grab it. (And yes, I know I'm super late to the game in reading this awesome book.) ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
This book held my attention most of the time. I liked the characters and the premise. ( )
  LaPhenix | Mar 8, 2016 |
Debut author Rossi creates a dystopian world in which a teenage girl loses her home but finds truth, love and identity.

Aria has grown up in a Pod, where life is highly regulated and technology has eliminated many of life’s pains and inconveniences. Dwellers lead sheltered, insulated lives in the Pod, enjoying protection from the often treacherous and always unpredictable Aether forces in the sky. They also revel in endless virtual joy rides accessible through devices all Dwellers have. Rossi seamlessly intertwines Aria’s journey with that of Peregrine, a teenage boy who has grown up outside of a Pod, an Outsider, in what the Dwellers consider perilous wastelands where humans live without the gadgets Dwellers depend upon. Ruling authorities banish Aria from the Pod, and Rossi nails the feat of offering dual perspectives from Aria and Perry as they help one another on separate quests that turn out to have unexpected connections. Though an Outsider and what Dwellers consider a savage, Peregrine, who possesses preternatural gifts and comes from a ruling family in his tribe, earns not only Aria’s respect and admiration, but also her heart. Rossi grounds her worldbuilding in language, creating idioms for the Dwellers and Outsiders that add texture to their respective myths; her characters are brave and complex and her prose smooth and evocative.

Inspired, offbeat and mesmerizing. (Science fiction. 12 & up)
added by susieimage | editKirkus Review (Dec 3, 2011)

For Luca and Rocky
They called the world beyond the walls of the Pod "the Death Shop."

Since she’d been on the outside, she’d survived an Aether storm, she’d had a knife held to her throat, and she’d seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. If the cannibals don’t get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She’s been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He’s wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria’s help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

"Aria and Perry, two teens from radically different societies--one highly advanced, the other primitive--hate being dependent on one another until they overcome their prejudices and fall in love, knowing they can't stay together"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,886,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible