Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky (edition 2012)

by Veronica Rossi

Member:bryantkeli
Title:Under the Never Sky
Authors:Veronica Rossi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:YA, dystopian, under the never sky

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

English (158)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (161)
Loved it! ( )
  Verkruissen | Nov 5, 2014 |
A bit of a slow start for me, but I ended up liking it before I finished.

Aria has spent her entire life in the safety of the domes. Exiled and cast into the outside world, she fights to survive. Perry is an Outsider, and has lived his entire life with his tribe outside the domes. They work together on their quests to get their lives back and discover who they really are along the way. (end of my generic book blurb)

Here's what was missing for me. Rossi creates a dystopian world and drops you into it with no real backstory, no true world building, and no explanations. I almost gave up on the book a few times because of it. I kept thinking she would explain by the end, but she didn't. I'm not expecting a perfectly drawn world ala JK Rowling, but I do want to understand what happened to create the dystopia. What triggered the changes in the world? What is Aether? How did the outsiders evolve and adapt? So much potential to create a cool backstory and it's brushed aside.

Aria is a bit of a Mary Sue, and Perry is frankly not very likable, but for some odd reason I liked the story enough to read the next book. Hopefully the explanations I am searching for are found there. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
First of all, is it just me or did the "Smarteyes" worn by Dwellers in this book remind anyone else of Google Glass?
Secondly, I may just be tiring of young adult dystopian novels, but this one failed to capture me like Divergent, Legend, and Wither have. I will say I liked it well enough to consider reading the sequels, but I'm not eager to dive into them. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Oct 4, 2014 |
Something fresh, something new, and yet something wildly dystopian -- exactly what I needed to read. The female protagonist is strong and yet supple, smart and yet willing to learn. I loved the believable world-building Rossi creates. I'm willing to read the other novels in this series, and that says a lot since I'm trilogy-weary! ( )
  amandacb | Sep 29, 2014 |
This is the story of relationships in a strange dystopian world. Not just the inevitable love interest which is brilliantly written but family relationships. The relationship between the two lead characters is engaging and a good read. The relationship I really loved was that between Perry and his nephew. The strong character development from this author makes these relationships believable and you feel that you invest in all of them.

The story is thought provoking and warm in many places. There is sadness, joy, laughter and anger all in equal parts. I love this new strange land that Rossi has designed although I have to admit I hope in future novels we find out more of the history of this strange land.

The ending to this book is perfect. It rounds the story of completely and could in fact be a stand alone novel. However, with the excellent characters that have been described by the author I know I have to pick the next book up and spend some more time with all my favourite new fictional friends. ( )
  samarnold1975 | Sep 12, 2014 |
For Luca and Rocky
They called the world beyond the walls of the Pod "the Death Shop."

Since she’d been on the outside, she’d survived an Aether storm, she’d had a knife held to her throat, and she’d seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. If the cannibals don’t get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She’s been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He’s wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria’s help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

In her enthralling debut, Veronica Rossi sends readers on an unforgettable adventure set in a world brimming with harshness and beauty.

"Aria and Perry, two teens from radically different societies--one highly advanced, the other primitive--hate being dependent on one another until they overcome their prejudices and fall in love, knowing they can't stay together"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,383,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible