Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky (edition 2012)

by Veronica Rossi

Member:bryantkeli
Title:Under the Never Sky
Authors:Veronica Rossi
Info:HarperCollins (2012), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:YA, dystopian, under the never sky

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

English (160)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (163)
LOVED this book!Couldn't put it down! ( )
  michele.juza | Feb 25, 2015 |
Still searching for a dystopian novel I checked this book out, only to discover that it is also not dystopian but post-apocalyptic. Actually I might be wrong about that since I don’t remember any mention of a war destroying this world. No matter, this book is better than Arena One.

In the world Aria lives on there are enclosed cities where others like her live, the area where she lives is called a pod, all of their recreation happens in the Realms, which are virtual environments accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. It all ends after a tragic accident that Aria is blamed for and she is thrown into the outside, called The Death Shop, where there are a million ways to die. Except Aria doesn’t die, Perry, an Outsider, saves her and keeps her alive, they stay together through their mutual need for each other. Aria to get back to her home and Perry to get inside to rescue his nephew. You know what happens next, their grudging respect turns to love.

Some Outsiders have enhanced senses such as hearing, seeing or smelling. Perry is able to smell danger, good and emotions. The atmosphere is called Aether and Aether storms are deadly. Perry is able to sense when an Aether storm is coming.

Good character development and a good story line made this book easy to read. Ms. Rossi doesn’t waste time explaining things (like what is Aether?), just writes about them and you come to understand them or don’t but just enjoy the story. It was a quick read, suitable for older teens I would say, it has some violence and adult situations. This is the first book in a series, unfortunately I could find any others but I will continue to look for them. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
Summary: Fighting to survive in a ravaged world, a Dweller and a Savage form an unlikely alliance.
Personal Reaction: Action packed and well developed characters. I liked that it was told from two points of view.
Classroom Extension: A fun series to recommend to YA readers. It has a strong male and female character so it will appeal to both boys and girls. You can also use the book to discuss difference between groups of people. In this book, dwellers and savages don't trust each other, judge, and focus on their differences until they start working together and get to know one another and realize they each have strengths. ( )
  LorraineAllen | Feb 3, 2015 |
Loved it! ( )
  | Nov 5, 2014 | edit |
A bit of a slow start for me, but I ended up liking it before I finished.

Aria has spent her entire life in the safety of the domes. Exiled and cast into the outside world, she fights to survive. Perry is an Outsider, and has lived his entire life with his tribe outside the domes. They work together on their quests to get their lives back and discover who they really are along the way. (end of my generic book blurb)

Here's what was missing for me. Rossi creates a dystopian world and drops you into it with no real backstory, no true world building, and no explanations. I almost gave up on the book a few times because of it. I kept thinking she would explain by the end, but she didn't. I'm not expecting a perfectly drawn world ala JK Rowling, but I do want to understand what happened to create the dystopia. What triggered the changes in the world? What is Aether? How did the outsiders evolve and adapt? So much potential to create a cool backstory and it's brushed aside.

Aria is a bit of a Mary Sue, and Perry is frankly not very likable, but for some odd reason I liked the story enough to read the next book. Hopefully the explanations I am searching for are found there. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
Debut author Rossi creates a dystopian world in which a teenage girl loses her home but finds truth, love and identity.

Aria has grown up in a Pod, where life is highly regulated and technology has eliminated many of life’s pains and inconveniences. Dwellers lead sheltered, insulated lives in the Pod, enjoying protection from the often treacherous and always unpredictable Aether forces in the sky. They also revel in endless virtual joy rides accessible through devices all Dwellers have. Rossi seamlessly intertwines Aria’s journey with that of Peregrine, a teenage boy who has grown up outside of a Pod, an Outsider, in what the Dwellers consider perilous wastelands where humans live without the gadgets Dwellers depend upon. Ruling authorities banish Aria from the Pod, and Rossi nails the feat of offering dual perspectives from Aria and Perry as they help one another on separate quests that turn out to have unexpected connections. Though an Outsider and what Dwellers consider a savage, Peregrine, who possesses preternatural gifts and comes from a ruling family in his tribe, earns not only Aria’s respect and admiration, but also her heart. Rossi grounds her worldbuilding in language, creating idioms for the Dwellers and Outsiders that add texture to their respective myths; her characters are brave and complex and her prose smooth and evocative.

Inspired, offbeat and mesmerizing. (Science fiction. 12 & up)
added by susieimage | editKirkus Review (Dec 3, 2011)

For Luca and Rocky
They called the world beyond the walls of the Pod "the Death Shop."

Since she’d been on the outside, she’d survived an Aether storm, she’d had a knife held to her throat, and she’d seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland—known as The Death Shop—are slim. If the cannibals don’t get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She’s been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He’s wild—a savage—and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile—everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria’s help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

"Aria and Perry, two teens from radically different societies--one highly advanced, the other primitive--hate being dependent on one another until they overcome their prejudices and fall in love, knowing they can't stay together"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,169,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible